Computers & Electronics

what is wrong with my subwoofer setup?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2017 5:49 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 21, 2017
898 posts
291 upvotes

what is wrong with my subwoofer setup?

hey guys,

I just set up my receiver with my speakers (currently 3.1 set up as I don't have room for the rear). Haven't really done any "set up" other than connecting the wires and playing something as a test run.

1) the sub isn't really deep 2) while it isn't giving me the deep base, i do hear glass shaking sounds from somewhere (don't know where yet).

What can I do to adjust it? isn't that weird?

thanks!!
9 replies
Sr. Member
Feb 7, 2004
513 posts
195 upvotes
St Thomas
There are so many possible factors here. What sub, what receiver (does it have a setup like audessey?), how big is the room it's in? Is it placed in the wrong spot?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2315 upvotes
DPR2017 wrote: 1) the sub isn't really deep 2) while it isn't giving me the deep base, i do hear glass shaking sounds from somewhere (don't know where yet).

What sub do you have?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
17273 posts
3512 upvotes
Toronto
What material are you using to test the sub?
Sr. Member
Oct 5, 2005
611 posts
188 upvotes
placement is probably the JUUUGEST challenge in setting up a HT sub. peaks, valleys, reverb, cancellations... it's very difficult, often impossible, to get a completely flat response through the subwoofer's useable output spectrum. likely your sitting position is in a null at that window shaking frequency. if you walk around the room while it's playing, you should notice the bass come and go from your ears. get a frequency generator and try some things:

- sometimes you can play with phase, if the issue is at a frequency that overlaps with your mains.
- you can test placement of the sub. old trick it to place it in your listening position and walk around to different points in the room. when you find a spot that gives a decently flat response, that's where you should place the sub... just hope it's in a place that aesthetically and functionally you CAN put the sub.
- finally, you can add more subs to counter reverb/nulls. this is really expensive and still no guarantee you'll get a flat response at your listening position.

don't ask me how i know this or how patient the wife was during it....
yo!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 25, 2003
9174 posts
292 upvotes
You need to do the sub crawl. Put the sub in your seating position, literally on the couch near your ear level.

Play some music you listen to with decent amount of bass, and start crawling around on the ground. You'll hear the bass get louder in certain locations, so mark the ground there with some masking tape. Keep doing this until you found the locations with the best bass. These are where you should place the sub
it's me ramin.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
DPR2017 wrote: hey guys,

I just set up my receiver with my speakers (currently 3.1 set up as I don't have room for the rear). Haven't really done any "set up" other than connecting the wires and playing something as a test run.

1) the sub isn't really deep 2) while it isn't giving me the deep base, i do hear glass shaking sounds from somewhere (don't know where yet).

What can I do to adjust it? isn't that weird?

thanks!!
You need to elaborate on the quality of the subwoofer before people can chime in. Brand name and model?
If it is a whole system <$200, what you mentioned seems to be the norm.
Also do you have the subwoofer firing direct onto hardwood floor (or worse ceramic floor)?
That makes a lot of difference
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 21, 2017
898 posts
291 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: You need to elaborate on the quality of the subwoofer before people can chime in. Brand name and model?
If it is a whole system <$200, what you mentioned seems to be the norm.
Also do you have the subwoofer firing direct onto hardwood floor (or worse ceramic floor)?
That makes a lot of difference
this guy right here http://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/audio- ... mode=model

:)

it's currently sitting on a carpet and will be moved onto a hardwood floor. thanks
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 14, 2010
1408 posts
849 upvotes
Barrie ON
The question has already been asked, but not yet answered. What receiver is it connected to? Did you connect to the sub-woofer output jack of the receiver or one of the normal speaker outputs. Did you program the receiver to let it know that you have a sub connected to it? Did you tell the receiver that you where running in a 2.1 configuration ( which is what I think you meant when you said 3.1)

This sub is fairly small both in physical size and audio power. It is probably only suitable for rooms up to 10'x10'. What size is your room (also asked before).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
DPR2017 wrote: it's currently sitting on a carpet and will be moved onto a hardwood floor. thanks
If it is of a low end system that probably does not matter. Ideally downward firing woofer should sit on carpet rather than any hard surface. If you do not have carpet floor, an area rug can do the job
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019

Top