Food & Drink

What are you favorite under $20 wines at the LCBO?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2018 7:30 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
Poppwl wrote: Does anyone actually use the wine they buy from their preferred wine retailer for cooking?
Yes, and why wouldnt you?
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
Keelie wrote: Yes, and why wouldnt you?
I use cooking wine from grocery store.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
Poppwl wrote: I use cooking wine from grocery store.
I've never used it, does it taste good?
That's my 2cents worth
Dec 21, 2016
198 posts
121 upvotes
Edited: This is actually $20. Besides my other suggestions, I served this wine with beef for dinner just tonight. It was smooth and tasty!!
Images
  • upload.jpg
Last edited by Chris258852 on Jan 7th, 2018 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1057 posts
175 upvotes
Vancouver
Poppwl wrote: Does anyone actually use the wine they buy from their preferred wine retailer for cooking?
Poppwl wrote: I use cooking wine from grocery store.
Keelie wrote: I've never used it, does it taste good?
Cooking wine that is sold in a grocery store is lower in alcohol and contains salt to make it undrinkable. I would never use it for cooking because I don't like the taste it imparts. I only use a decent wine I would drink myself - one cup for the recipe, one cup for me.

As far as whites under $20 my go to is a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Besides Oyster Bay and Kim Crawford that have already been mentioned I also like Babich, The Ned and Monkey Bay.
Oct 13, 2009
264 posts
58 upvotes
North York
Excellent thread!! I was such a noob a few years ago but thanks to iYellow Wine club I have learned to enjoy a good amount of VQA Ontario Wines.

1 of my go to White's is always Meglomaniac Narcissist riesling. I am not much of a white drinker but this is a must!! Trius Pinot Grigio is lovely on a warm sunny day.

Whenever I go to the LCBO I always grab a couple of bottles of Creekside Shiraz. a Big bold red that is just delicious.

I always look for Cocha Y Toro winemaker's lots in the vintage section, I started out with Chilean wines so I like to go to that from time to time.
Feb 8, 2017
459 posts
261 upvotes
Ojibway Bob wrote: Excellent thread!! I was such a noob a few years ago but thanks to iYellow Wine club I have learned to enjoy a good amount of VQA Ontario Wines.

1 of my go to White's is always Meglomaniac Narcissist riesling. I am not much of a white drinker but this is a must!! Trius Pinot Grigio is lovely on a warm sunny day.

Whenever I go to the LCBO I always grab a couple of bottles of Creekside Shiraz. a Big bold red that is just delicious.

I always look for Cocha Y Toro winemaker's lots in the vintage section, I started out with Chilean wines so I like to go to that from time to time.
my palate doesn't appreciate ontario reds. for the same price i find i prefer australian or argentinian. for whites i'm with you - some really nice ontario whites out there!
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2631 upvotes
GTA West
Hmm, I usually stay at or under $10 - there are good Italian and South American table wines at this price - the ones they often sell in Restaurants at $8-9 per glass!

For robust pizza and barbecue, almost any listed Montepulciano d'Abruzzo wine is good. Citra and Spinelli for example. It is embarrassingly cheap! I always try and keep a few on hand.

Or any Chile/Argentina merlot, cabernet, or cabernet/merlot is worth trying. When I run the bar at our church dinners people really seem to like these and feel they are drinking a decent wine. I don't spend more than $10.95 for our bar.

For dinner parties, I have recently been serving Folonari Pinot Noir at $14.95 unless we are serving spicy food or barbecue. It is a lighter wine that suits my taste and most guests' as well. I don't think a wine connoisseur would think much of it but we don't have many of them for dinner here :) We usually think of Burgundy for Pinot Noir, but this Italian version is very pleasant.
Mar 1, 2018
40 posts
5 upvotes
I would suggest Santa Margherita Chianti Classico red wine, $21.95 CAD per 750 mL bottle.
Feb 25, 2018
79 posts
21 upvotes
My favorite one is Yellow Tail Chardonnay wine with tropical notes. A 1.5L bottle for only $19.95.
Jun 20, 2015
701 posts
193 upvotes
Place
We got a Beringer Wine from California Cabernet
Good luck!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)