What are you having for dinner? *PICS*

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2023 4:13 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50574 posts
14946 upvotes
ONTARIO
gr8dlr wrote: Chinese dry fry beef ho "fun".

These are not noodles but rather I buy the rice rolls aka Cheung fun which is what the noodles are made out of and I cut them into dumpling like shape. Cooked in my wok and the 160k BTU burner.

So good eats.

IMG_20220528_181437.jpg

IMG_20220528_181450.jpg
Cooool. Do do that flaming “wok he” thing too?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18610 posts
13427 upvotes
Markham
UrbanPoet wrote: Cooool. Do do that flaming “wok he” thing too?
That's just show IMO.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5817 posts
4437 upvotes
we came in for the show... It's a cheap thrill.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50574 posts
14946 upvotes
ONTARIO
I made beef ribs… all the ingredients were left overs!

I had left over

-chicken broth
-zucchini simmered in tomato sauce
-1/4 bottle of red wine
-splash of Clamato juice
-soy sauce

New addition are the chop carrots.
Beef back ribs. Not a lot of meat on the bones. But the price reflects that. $3.99/LB

For the side i had some steamed broccoli topped with oyster mushroom cooked in oyster sauce.

I had those ribs cooking for 6 hours @ 275.
So tender!
Images
  • E7E96E7F-B963-43EE-B8C6-51EA15FD1323.jpeg
  • 1023B486-D816-4C99-80B6-E3DEE202D86B.jpeg
  • 79949A21-73C1-4012-A8A8-E7D4F53B1957.jpeg
  • 8010DEA5-D479-49D8-8927-1AE839A3135D.jpeg
Last edited by UrbanPoet on Jun 1st, 2022 2:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
2059 posts
693 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: I made beef ribs… all the ingredients were left overs!

I had left over

-chicken broth
-1/4 bottle of red wine

Beef back ribs. Not a lot of meat on the bones. But the price reflects that. $3.99/LB

For the side i had some steamed broccoli topped with oyster mushroom cooked in oyster sauce.

So tender!
Would definitely make this - recipe please?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5817 posts
4437 upvotes
im fairly certain beef ribs in kalbi side-cut has a way better beef to bone ratio than whole beef ribs bought at the supermarket. I think it's worth the extra price. Having said that, prime rib on sale is way better than either because of the tiny amount of bones but huge amount of beef.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50574 posts
14946 upvotes
ONTARIO
evilYoda wrote: im fairly certain beef ribs in kalbi side-cut has a way better beef to bone ratio than whole beef ribs bought at the supermarket. I think it's worth the extra price. Having said that, prime rib on sale is way better than either because of the tiny amount of bones but huge amount of beef.
Yeah for sure.
In my dish i was aiming for more of a “make a beautiful dinner on a budget” type of thing.

One interesting thing…
I did an experiment. I had these cheap beef back ribs. They looked boney. $3.49/LB @ the time. Cheap!
I actually cooked and separated the meat from bone and weighed it. Lost 40% to bones.
Although “boney” it ended up being a very reasonable cost for beef when you calculate the ratio accounting for bone.

However… if cost is not an issue. Those korean style kalbi cut , short ribs etc… have a great meat to bone ratio. Cook up nicely. They look good & also better marbling than back rib meat.
However… the cheapest i’ve seen this cut is $8.99/LB @ an Asian grocery store. Last week! So recent pricing…
Nicely marbled, they looked like AAA.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5817 posts
4437 upvotes
i still remember way back when there was a time when even supermarkets stocked beef bones, but didnt carve away the huge chunks of meat on top. Now it's hard to find full beef ribs. What did they do with the meat after they cut it from top of the beef ribs? Hamburger meat?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2307 posts
2603 upvotes
Toronto

I had left over

-chicken broth
-1/4 bottle of red wine
-splash of Clamato juice
-soy sauce

So tender!
Last week i was looking at the short beef ribs however turned my attention to the back ribs and went that direction with BBQ ribs cooked in the slow cooker so was super tender.

Seeing your picture i think i want to add short ribs to my repertoire, need to explore a few options on youtube see what style is interesting and give it a try. Actually might be fun to cook up a few different options see which one the family enjoys more!

Yours looks like a delightful meal, would love to curl up watch a movie while eating a bowl of those delicious short ribs.
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5817 posts
4437 upvotes
is it worthwhile to slit the bottom of the beef ribs where the thin membrane is, so that when you bite into whatever meat there is, the whole edible section separates from the bone?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18610 posts
13427 upvotes
Markham
evilYoda wrote: i still remember way back when there was a time when even supermarkets stocked beef bones, but didnt carve away the huge chunks of meat on top. Now it's hard to find full beef ribs. What did they do with the meat after they cut it from top of the beef ribs? Hamburger meat?
Sold as beef finger meat.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6702 posts
6309 upvotes

I had left over

-chicken broth
-1/4 bottle of red wine
-splash of Clamato juice
-soy sauce

So tender!
Wowza!! Very impressive UP!! Everything looks amazing.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50574 posts
14946 upvotes
ONTARIO
hierophant wrote: Wowza!! Very impressive UP!! Everything looks amazing.
Funny… not trying to be cocky. But i’m REALLY good @ making meat dishes.
But my picture taking skills suck.
I notice when my partner takes the pics… it always gets more upvotes and reactions. Lol.
I’ve made better stuff than this and posted here. Like that rib eye cap roast. That was an exquisite piece of meat. With a rare cut that i’ve actually never seen sold even @ the finest butchers.

This rib dish was technically made quite haphazardly and with all left over stuff in the fridge/pantry. More on this later!!!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50574 posts
14946 upvotes
ONTARIO
How I made those beef ribs using cheap and re-purposed ingredients.
I didn't follow any recipe... I just free styled it. Inspired by those braised beef/rib dishes with the carrots floating around. But I really wanted to be frugal because of recession times. Use up random stuff in the fridge.

Ingredients

1. Beef back ribs. They're only $3.49-$3.99/LB @ Chinese super markets. You can be cheap and use this like me. Or you can go fancy and use good stuff like those beef short ribs.

2. Left over zucchini simmered in tomato sauce (you don't need use this. I just used it because my goal was to be cheap and use up left overs. Use tomato paste. Or some tomato blended up)

3. Left over chicken broth. (doesn't have to specifically be this. You can use a can or carton of beef broth. My opinion is that it doesnt matter what type of meat broth. It just needs to be a salty meaty broth. This dish is boney beef cooking for a long time in liquid! It essentially picks up a lot of flavor from the beef rib bones)

4. Red wine I never finished

5. Clamato juice

6. Soy sauce

7. Salt+pepper+garlic powder mix in equal parts

8. Chopped carrots

I season the ribs with the Salt+pepper+garlic mix. I seared them in a pan on high heat with oil. I place the beef ribs into the roasting tray and blast it in the oven @ 450 for about 5 minutes.
This is make the sauce nicer. Its still cut up bones. So those edges will leak out that film of bone ooze "scrum". Its not that appetizing. So its best to do this step.
After that I just put ingredients 2, 3, 4, 8 on top of the ribs.
@ this point... I was thinking "oh... There's not enough stuff in here!!!". So I added a few shakes of soy sauce to flavor it and eventually give the sauce that nice brown color.

This is where I thought "hm... What else can I add?". I had clamato juice! (but just a splash to not over power). I know it sounds weird... But clamato juice is actually packed full of salt and flavor. It has an acidic tang from the tomato juice. I thought adding a slightly sour element would INCREASE the umami flavors. In this case... Tomato is always a great compliment to beef. Also the reason why its a good compliment... is the SEA FOOD FLAVOUR. That clam juice they have in there... It is a surprisingly good compliment for beef. I drew this inspiration from VIETNAMESE cuisine! Fish sauce is used a lot. Beef is used a lot. It works!

As part of my BBQ competition endeavors, I actually studied principles of MOLECULAR GASTRONOMY! Apparently... Tomato has a HIGH content of glutamates. Glutamates in combination with beef ENHANCE the flavors. Which makes sense... Tomato + Beef is a combination that stretches all cultural boundaries! WE never knew why we did it... But thats why. Its an amazing enhancement especially to beef because of the way proteins and the milliard reaction occur specifically in red meat. Italians do it with beef in tomato sauce. The Chinese have a dish of simply beef and tomato. American's flavor their meat loafs with ketchup and/or tomato paste.
Also the acidic element helps open up the taste buds.

I still didn't think there was enough in this dish. So I just sprinkled on top my home made all purpose dry rub. (which is just salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, ground celery seed, paprika).

I cover the roasting pan with foil and cook that super slow in the oven @ 275 for 6 hours.

The best way to present this, and a nice little detail... Is the following. You remove the ribs +carrots leaving just the juice. Pour the juice into a container. Add Ice cubes to help it cool down faster and stick it in the freezer. After a bit the fat will solidify on top. I skim off all that nasty fat. It leaves a super clean sauce. So thick and rich... You reintroduce the sauce into a serving dish, and add the ribs + carrots back in. You can also use a de-fatter if you have one. But I present this idea because not everyone has a de-fatter. I attached pics of the fat I separated. I'm actually keeping that lard disc for other cooking.

My sides were mashed potatoes with broccoli/oyster mushrooms.
Images
  • 8649906A-9C37-4830-B02A-8EBE194F5F76.jpeg
  • FBB5E814-52F2-43A5-826D-5546DAEF6CDA.jpeg
Last edited by UrbanPoet on Jun 13th, 2022 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Mar 14, 2022
392 posts
405 upvotes
Outer GTA
UrbanPoet wrote:
4. Red wine I never finished
You mean…. It can stay in the bottle for more then an hour after opening?
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13461 posts
7729 upvotes
I wonder if I could have fake posted this air fried chicken in the bbq thread and gotten away with it....?
Images
  • IMG_20220601_180336.jpg
  • IMG_20220601_191928.jpg
  • IMG_20220601_194411~2.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5817 posts
4437 upvotes
Firetech wrote: You mean…. It can stay in the bottle for more then an hour after opening?
he does look like a closet drunk, from his picture... Face With Tears Of Joy
Feb 4, 2018
492 posts
1045 upvotes
Toronto
I made beef short ribs for dinner, with carrot, parsnip, and creamy mashed potato. It was very good, but I think the flavour will improve overnight.
Beef short rib 1.jpg
Beef short rib 2.jpg
We decided to have dinner outside in the backyard:
Dining al fresco 1.jpg
Dining al fresco 2.jpg
Mallards have nested in our backyard. Their 1st egg was laid May 20. We call her "Molly". She has been a diligent mother, incubating the eggs (8 or 9) for the past few days. She leaves occasionally to have a swim in the pool or forage for food. Can you see her? She is very close to the brick wall, to the left of the window well.
Molly Mallard.jpg
As I was writing the above, Molly went for a swim in the pool. By the time I got my camera, she was taking off, probably looking for dinner.
Molly's takeoff.jpg
The ocean is calling.........and I must go.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)