Food & Drink

What are you having for dinner? *PICS*

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2023 11:12 am
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13373 posts
7638 upvotes
hierophant wrote: I'm going to look out for that pasta...your review of it has sold me!

So here's my version of "fried chicken". I ended up making bread crumbs from bread ends instead of using flour. I put in a bunch of spices but I forgot salt so it was kind of bland and I didn't flatten the chicken enough (it was start rip...is that right word)? At any rate, it was OK...I'm finding I just don't enjoy chicken. I might try Gutty's wife's chicken sandwich tomorrow with the remaining.
I am hit or miss on chicken too. For me it needs lots of accompanying flavours and spices. It can be in something, but if it is the main, it gets washed out. Unless it wings or some something like that.

Go for the sandwich though, add sons pickles, got peppers garlic mayo, etc. Whatever you like to kick it up.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4897 posts
3095 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Monday! So……. meatless.
Yesterday it was smoked ribs and brisket. To be honest, this tops it.
1A3A0B3D-DE96-41F0-A334-BA3ABC08D565.jpeg
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13373 posts
7638 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Monday! So……. meatless.
Tofu?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6694 posts
6277 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: I am hit or miss on chicken too. For me it needs lots of accompanying flavours and spices. It can be in something, but if it is the main, it gets washed out. Unless it wings or some something like that.

Go for the sandwich though, add sons pickles, got peppers garlic mayo, etc. Whatever you like to kick it up.
That's exactly what I did. The 'sauce' I made was the best part of the sandwich lol

Also made homemade mac and cheese (though technically not macaroni)
Images
  • 20220731_181953.jpg
  • 20220801_174016.jpg
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13373 posts
7638 upvotes
hierophant wrote: That's exactly what I did. The 'sauce' I made was the best part of the sandwich lol

Also made homemade mac and cheese (though technically not macaroni)
Looks great!

How did you do your Mac and cheese?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6694 posts
6277 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: Looks great!

How did you do your Mac and cheese?
Unless I'm baking, I don't follow a recipe or measure so I can't give you specifics but it's just a basic cheese sauce. I start with melting butter in a sauce pan and then add equal parts flour. Once it becomes 'integrated', I slowly add milk little by little until desired consistency (it thickens up quickly). At this point I add salt and garlic powder and then shredded cheese (again to desired consistency) - this time I added dallop of sour cream towards the end. I make sure it's all blended, smooth and comes to a bubble, and then add in the cooked pasta.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18469 posts
13256 upvotes
Markham
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Monday! So……. meatless.
1A3A0B3D-DE96-41F0-A334-BA3ABC08D565.jpeg
Gutty96 wrote: Tofu?
My guess is halloumi cheese.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13373 posts
7638 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: My guess is halloumi cheese.
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Bingo :)
Oh I have had this before in smaller pieces than that. Will need to try again. Looks delicious.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4897 posts
3095 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Gutty96 wrote: Oh I have had this before in smaller pieces than that. Will need to try again. Looks delicious.
Slice the block about 1/4" thick, and grill on a hot griddle for 2 minutes each side. Done.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13373 posts
7638 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Slice the block about 1/4" thick, and grill on a hot griddle for 2 minutes each side. Done.
I think the last time I had it, it didn't come it a block, it was just individually wrapped pieces.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4897 posts
3095 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Gutty96 wrote: I think the last time I had it, it didn't come it a block, it was just individually wrapped pieces.
I have never in my life see Halloumi "pre-sliced".
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7067 posts
2688 upvotes
Canada
Big mistake looking at this thread while hungry... Hate you all!
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4897 posts
3095 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Ogata wrote: Instant Pot Chili!
Something about chili when it feels like 40C is a big no no for me. However if we were to make this -40C hell yea!!!! and the IP makes things so simple for stews.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18469 posts
13256 upvotes
Markham
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Something about chili when it feels like 40C is a big no no for me. However if we were to make this -40C hell yea!!!! and the IP makes things so simple for stews.
+1 As warm weather sets in, the IP kindof goes into storage and the summer "toys" come out...ie outdoor wok burners, pizza ovens, BBQs etc. Having said that, that cold weather chili can go well with the warm weather BBQ hot dogs.

The good thing about the IP is it does cooks things faster, no steam if you "seal it" which means less heat in the kitchen in general and thus still has a place in the summer kitchen.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
9327 posts
1304 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Something about chili when it feels like 40C is a big no no for me. However if we were to make this -40C hell yea!!!! and the IP makes things so simple for stews.
Hotpot in Summer is ok as long as you have AC Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12366 posts
7501 upvotes
Chicken wings about to be fried in 2 cups of pure chicken fat lol

chiknfat.png
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6694 posts
6277 upvotes
lecale wrote: Chicken wings about to be fried in 2 cups of pure chicken fat lol

chiknfat.png
Looks like apple sauce Grinning Face With Smiling EyesFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes