Food & Drink

What are you having for dinner? *PICS*

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2022 7:54 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
hierophant wrote: Looks like apple sauce Grinning Face With Smiling EyesFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Yeah it loses its charm once it has melted & looks like anything else - that is straight out of the fridge. It is textured exactly like applesauce. It's my "gold." After frying 2 lbs wings I was up by 1/4 cup, saved that, & I dip into it from time to time for sauces. Gives you that real fried chicken house flavour.
Jun 21, 2022
434 posts
528 upvotes
Gta
gr8dlr wrote: +1 As warm weather sets in, the IP kindof goes into storage and the summer "toys" come out...ie outdoor wok burners, pizza ovens, BBQs etc. Having said that, that cold weather chili can go well with the warm weather BBQ hot dogs.

The good thing about the IP is it does cooks things faster, no steam if you "seal it" which means less heat in the kitchen in general and thus still has a place in the summer kitchen.
I feel this

I’m also a serial… what’s for dinner… shit… that’s in the freezer.

IP isn’t as present in summer, but still exists.

Feel the sealed aspect.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18026 posts
12747 upvotes
Markham
Ogata wrote: Hotpot in Summer is ok as long as you have AC Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Korean style grilling in the summer.
Chinese/Japanese style got pot in winter.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13008 posts
7117 upvotes
lecale wrote: Chicken wings about to be fried in 2 cups of pure chicken fat lol

Lol, what have you got going on here?
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7614 posts
2806 upvotes
Made some kind of chicken, bean sprout, mixed vegetable, chow mein noodle type thing yesterday. Leftovers today.

Sides were a couple of dumplings and a spring roll crisped up in the air fryer.

Salad was Japanese Inspired Cucumber. It's so delicious I"ve been making it all summer. The most fun part of making this salad is how good everything smells as you throw it together. Cucumber,mint,watercress, hondashi,a bit of sugar, miren and rice vinegar. Seaweed. Green onions. Chili oil.
Images
  • 20220807_194932.jpg
Last edited by bonterra on Aug 8th, 2022 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: Lol, what have you got going on here?
poor man's duck confit? The pure chicken fat adds a nutty element.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18026 posts
12747 upvotes
Markham
bonterra wrote: Made some kind of chicken, bean sprout, mixed vegetable, chow mein noodle type thing yesterday. Leftovers today.

Sides were a couple of dumplings and a spring roll crisped up in the air fryer.

Salad was Japanese Inspired Cucumber. It's so delicious I"ve been making it all summer. The most fun part of making this salad is how good everything smells as you throw it together. Cucumber,mint,watercress, hondashi,a bit of sugar, miren and rice vinegar. Seaweed.
For those who don't order much Chinese take out from North American-Chinese type places....when you order "chow mein" from some places, if you don't know what you're ordering, you might end up with this surprise food item where the bean sprouts are the the predominant "noodles" in the dish.

https://thewoksoflife.com/chicken-chow-mein/

Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7614 posts
2806 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: For those who don't order much Chinese take out from North American-Chinese type places....when you order "chow mein" from some places, if you don't know what you're ordering, you might end up with this surprise food item where the bean sprouts are the the predominant "noodles" in the dish.

https://thewoksoflife.com/chicken-chow-mein/
Isn't that the truth! I read through a bunch of chop suey, chow mein, lo mein recipes to come up with my own version. The lines between the 3 dishes become very blurred, lots of overlap, so I just went with what I like. I grew up on the bean sprout takeout type of chow mein.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
bonterra wrote: Made some kind of chicken, bean sprout, mixed vegetable, chow mein noodle type thing yesterday. Leftovers today.
My last attempt was food-court style. No exotic vegetables lol. I like your plate better.

foodcourt.png
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7614 posts
2806 upvotes
lecale wrote: My last attempt was food-court style. No exotic vegetables lol. I like your plate better.

foodcourt.png
Your version looks delicious.

I really wanted cabbage in the mix so to avoid chopping I threw in an Asian Chopped salad kit. Then I still had the garnishes from the kit so the noodle mixture got a garnish of sliced almonds, wonton strips, green onions and sesame seeds.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2112 posts
2303 upvotes
Toronto
lecale wrote: My last attempt was food-court style. No exotic vegetables lol. I like your plate better.

foodcourt.png
Lecale that dish looks pretty tasty, well done!
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
bonterra wrote: Your version looks delicious.

I really wanted cabbage in the mix so to avoid chopping I threw in an Asian Chopped salad kit. Then I still had the garnishes from the kit so the noodle mixture got a garnish of sliced almonds, wonton strips, green onions and sesame seeds.
That's a good idea, it's all the extras that pulled at my heart lol especially green onions. How could I forget the green onions??
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7614 posts
2806 upvotes
lecale wrote: That's a good idea, it's all the extras that pulled at my heart lol especially green onions. How could I forget the green onions??
I always have green onions chopped up in the fridge. They're my everything garnish.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
bonterra wrote: I always have green onions chopped up in the fridge. They're my everything garnish.
We have a pretty good crop going in the garden. I use them by the fistful normally but I was trying hard to make a stir-fry that would not alarm my buddy here lol. No "weird" vegetables like anything from the cabbage family, broccoli excepted.

Tonight I am making something like shrimp etouffee with the soul ripped out of it, i.e., no thyme or hot sauce, just a cream sauce with shrimp & the trinity of red pepper, celery, onion, green onions for good luck over rice.

My intended victim is already pissed & eyeing a cheeseburger left over from yesterday as his salvation. He's not big on seafood but I think the creamy sauce is going to win him over.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18026 posts
12747 upvotes
Markham
Have leftover pork trimmings from my smoked pork rib meal so I made Thai Basil Pork or Pad Horapa. Fried crispy egg on top with rice.

If you have a lot of basil in the garden and want to use a bunch of it, this is a great dish to make as it's tasty and fast cook.
Images
  • IMG_20220808_181443.jpg
  • IMG_20220808_181507.jpg

Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13008 posts
7117 upvotes
Wifey made Pork skewers on naan. Air fried as it is bloody hot out and I already shocked the pool so no more dips tonight. Again, AF traditional bbq'd things continue to impress me.
Images
  • IMG_20220808_190637~2.jpg
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2112 posts
2303 upvotes
Toronto
I am loving this thread, some deliciously pictured meals that I just want to eat!

My wife and I are starting to experiment with different meals and loving our results, dont get surprised if we reach out for some of your recipes...lol.

Cheers.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13008 posts
7117 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Have leftover pork trimmings from my smoked pork rib meal so I made Thai Basil Pork or Pad Horapa. Fried crispy egg on top with rice.

If you have a lot of basil in the garden and want to use a bunch of it, this is a great dish to make as it's tasty and fast cook.
How do you get the egg like that!?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6686 posts
6665 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: How do you get the egg like that!?
High temp in a wok/skillet with lots of oil