Food & Drink

What are you having for dinner? *PICS*

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2023 4:42 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2998 upvotes
-=phelan=- wrote: Normally I'd agree with you that it's more of a fall or winter dish but I haven't had any Korean food since the shutdown that I was craving for it . It certainly didn't disappoint
what's your go to recipe for the korean LA crossrib beef?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4508 posts
1454 upvotes
West Side GTA
badOne wrote: what's your go to recipe for the korean LA crossrib beef?
DIdn't do Korean LA CrossRib Beef but did Gamjatang "Spicy Pork Bone Soup" If you don't know what it is check it out below from Eater, they did an episode of it in Toronto :)

The recipe that I "loosely" followed was here. I did do some substitutions as I found out making this (1st time) that it really lends itself to all the left over items in the fridge very well. I had some bok choy that I needed to use, some ginger, garlic, green onions, potatoes etc. Of course I had the Pork Picnic Bone (The size of a football to use, that certainly provided enough bone/meat) The only real special ingredient that I didn't have to "use up" in the fridge was the soybean paste but that's critical to this dish. It all came down to efficiency of the fridge usage...I managed to get about 8 meals for 2 adults out of this...not to mention about 6 meals out of the cha siu also...not bad for an $8 pork picnic from RCSS when it was on sale for .98/lb lol...I bet each of those meals would be ~$10/person out at a restaurant.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7156 posts
4438 upvotes
Between Countries
-=phelan=- wrote:
I actually use my cast iron to dry out my noodles instead of letting it sit. Just need to oil the cast iron ahead of time and have it at not max heat but medium. Cast iron retains the heat much more than any other SS or ALUM pot will. It simulates "WOk HEI' when one doesn't have a gas range that can shoot flames from hell :P
I see. So it sounds like you kind of toast the noodles in the pan a bit at low heat. I'll have to try that, thanks.
-=phelan=- wrote: Made Korean style pork bone soup this evening with the left over bones I had after the Cha siu. Had it with some Korean style sweet potatoe noodles

Tasted great Thumbs Up Signand way better than owl of Minerva IMHO lol
Just wondering if you make Kimchi Jjigae? I know next to nothing about cooking Korean but it's my favourite Korean soup/stew and I always wanted to try making it but that Gochujang paste seems kind of expensive to buy.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4508 posts
1454 upvotes
West Side GTA
DiceMan wrote: I see. So it sounds like you kind of toast the noodles in the pan a bit at low heat. I'll have to try that, thanks.
Don't get me wrong you'll still need to use some oil but you won't need to shallow fry them to get that crispness we all love from frying egg noodles. You'll know if you don't have enough oil if it's starting to stick on the cast iron (or you could have the heat too high).
Just wondering if you make Kimchi Jjigae? I know next to nothing about cooking Korean but it's my favourite Korean soup/stew and I always wanted to try making it but that Gochujang paste seems kind of expensive to buy.
Had to look this one up myself since I'm no Korean food expert but it doesn't look all that difficult to make. Just very ingredient specific. Regarding the paste being expensive to buy lol...well you gotta splurge sometime and when my wife tells me she wants Korean i'd rather just pony up the small cost of the spice price than pay the price of "you forgot x" discussion afterwards lol. In all reality, the paste i can forsee lasting quite sometime given that I don't really use it for anything else but Korean food.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29326 posts
14834 upvotes
DiceMan wrote: Then let them sit in a coriander for 15 min or so to drain as much water as possible.
If it's the soft and not crispy version, we actually added water into the wok to help distribute the soy sauce.
Then we cooked out the water.
I've found that the MOST IMPORTANT STEP is to use enough oil (in a restaurant, they would be deep fried)
Yeah oil is definitely important. But we did ours in a wok not a fryer.

Secret is to use enough oil.
It's not americanized Chinese unless you drench it in oil.
DiceMan wrote:
Final tip that videos or posted recipes usually don't mention is the use of baking soda. For Chinese stir fries, I usually rub 1 tablespoon of baking soda on my sliced chicken, pork, or beef and let sit for about 15 min before rinsing off. This is the "velvetting" process that many (legit) North American Chinese restaurants use to tenderize the meat.
Baking soda and chicken powder is the backbone of all meats.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6698 posts
6284 upvotes
-=phelan=- wrote: Made some homemade cha siu since pork picnic was on sale at rcss. Family enjoyed some to take home too Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Why use styrofoam to pack homemade food for your family??? So environmentally unfriendly.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4901 posts
3105 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Just another protein packed meatless Monday here. This time a big bowl of noodles.
Images
  • IMG_20200720_191356_628.jpg
Jul 15, 2009
515 posts
1150 upvotes
Toronto

Accidentally added twice the amount of water to my sourdough pizza dough batch, so doubled everything up and had a lot of excess dough. Ended up making some sourdough french bread with it, which fortuitously went perfectly with the pulled pork I had planned to prepare for dinner. Lunch (sourdough pizza w/ sauteed mushrooms and jalepenos) and dinner (pulled pork with sauerkraut and pickles on well buttered sourdough bread) were delicious.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50488 posts
14815 upvotes
ONTARIO
anatman wrote: Image

Accidentally added twice the amount of water to my sourdough pizza dough batch, so doubled everything up and had a lot of excess dough. Ended up making some sourdough french bread with it, which fortuitously went perfectly with the pulled pork I had planned to prepare for dinner. Lunch (sourdough pizza w/ sauteed mushrooms and jalepenos) and dinner (pulled pork with sauerkraut and pickles on well buttered sourdough bread) were delicious.
Good job. I too like extra pickles with my sandwich! Twinsies!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4901 posts
3105 upvotes
Milton, ON.
On Tuesday we stuff things with other things. Today grilled eggplant with pulled pork gochujang.
IMG_20200721_194326_708.jpg
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18522 posts
13306 upvotes
Markham
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Yeah bhoy lol yumm.

IMG_20200723_195718_229.jpg
Meat sighting - me thinks lamb chops right?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4901 posts
3105 upvotes
Milton, ON.
gr8dlr wrote: Meat sighting - me thinks lamb chops right?
Garlic, rosemary, thyme, mint rubbed.
New potatoes in dill and crushed garlic.
Tomato herb salad.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4901 posts
3105 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Fresh wild Sockeye, sweet potato with miso butter, triple green kale salad. Yeap. On the balcony.
IMG_20200724_201706_486.jpg
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4901 posts
3105 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Meatless Monday saga continues...