What are you having for dinner? *PICS*

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2024 11:50 pm
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21708 posts
17381 upvotes
Markham
Dragon120 wrote: Hi, sorry for the late response. I've made variations of beef stew (vietnamese, HK, or traditional chinese versions). I always use the prime rib bones for stew of some sort and wife/I have been craving daikon so I made beef stew with daikon, carrots and potatoes.

I didn't follow any recipes and just sort of infused them together based on my own experience. I don't cook according to exact measurements, I go by instinct and do a taste test afterwards...so it's hard for me to jot down "recipes" but I'll try.

Ingredients:
- beef bones (not a must have, I just wanted to use the prime rib bones as it gives out more intense flavouring when cook for a long time);
- beef shank (even better if it has bones attached). You can find these already packaged at superstore, they're not expensive per se;
- beef flank
- 1 daikon (white carrot), 6" (cut into cubes)
- 1 carrot (cut into cubes)
- 3 white potatoes (cut into cubes)
- chou hou sauce (this is A MUST). You can find this jar at any local asian supermarket and sometimes, you'll find it at Walmart Supercentre (International foods aisle)
- vietnamese or indian curry (NOT the Mr. Gouda brand), get the one that's sort of bright yellow in colour
- 1/4 clove of garlic
- two cups of chicken broth

Steps:
- cut the meat from the beef shank (and flank) into cubes (1"x1") and marinate with two tablespoons (tbsp) of chou hou sauce (along with minced garlic). Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- if you're using the bones (wash and pat dry first) stir fry them with two tbsp of curry. Keep tossing them around the wok in medium/low heat for 10 minutes, don't let it burn. The objective is to get rid of the bone residue/blood. After 10-15 minutes set aside.
- sear the potatoes, daikon and carrots (one at a time so they're not overloaded). I'm searing them because I don't want them to be too soggy and mushy; as they'll be cooked for 2 hours.
- sear the marinated beef cubes as well
- heat up a tsp of vegetable oil, toss the bones, along with potatoes, daikon and carrots into the wok at high heat. Put 3 tbsp of chou hou sauce, swish them around so they're all coated with the sauce.
- pour in two cups of chicken stock (you can use beef stock as an alternate) - I just prefer chicken stock so it's not overwhelming with beef flavour. Turn the heat to low but high enough that it's simmering and bubbling.
- add in the beef cubes ONE HOUR later. Again, depending on the cut of beef you're using. I'm using prime rib so it doesn't need to cook for a long time as it'll taste rubbery. If you're using a lower-cut of beef then it's OK to toss them in together in the beginning.
- simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally as you don't want the bottom to burn
- after 2 hours, the liquid would have evaporated a little.

The sauce should be moderately thick (not runny). If there are still too much liquid/sauce in the wok, just add a mixture of cornstarch & water. In a small bowl, put 2 tsp of cornstarch and water..mix well then add it to the wok and stir occasionally.
For stews, beef finger meat is way better than Beef flank and/or beef shank IMO. The "finger meat" is the meat between the prime rib bones.

Do not eat the stew the day you cook it. Let it cool and refrigerate, defat (as much as you want) and then reheat and eat next day.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5319 posts
3949 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Find a piece of cod loin, spread harisa on it and wrap it in prosciutto. Roast cauliflower florets and pure the rest. Done.

Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4649 posts
1680 upvotes
West Side GTA
Dragon120 wrote: - vietnamese or indian curry (NOT the Mr. Gouda brand), get the one that's sort of bright yellow in colour
Do you have a pic of the curry you're using? As all I've got for this recipe is curry powder that I'd buy from Food Basic/Loblaws etc. I'm thinking I could just use that curry powder + added tumeric for colouring to get the "yellow", but would rather know what Vietnamese / Indian curry you're using so next time I'm out at T&T to pick up the right kind :)

I have everything else in your ingredient list and your recipe sounds similar to one I use for Beef Brisket Noodle Soup (except I load up on water in my instant pot and no curry just pure chu hou sauce).
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21708 posts
17381 upvotes
Markham
Dragon120 wrote:
- vietnamese or indian curry (NOT the Mr. Gouda brand), get the one that's sort of bright yellow in colour
Mr Gouda brand is a Trini style...different flavour profile or you just don't like them?

Can you use Garam masala and perhaps add more tumeric?

I usually wing it. some of this, some of that, some more of this, some more of that. I have so many "mixes" (pav baji mix, tandoori mix etc) or sorts and use that as well if I want some reddish colour.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
2171 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto
-=phelan=- wrote: Do you have a pic of the curry you're using? As all I've got for this recipe is curry powder that I'd buy from Food Basic/Loblaws etc. I'm thinking I could just use that curry powder + added tumeric for colouring to get the "yellow", but would rather know what Vietnamese / Indian curry you're using so next time I'm out at T&T to pick up the right kind :)

I have everything else in your ingredient list and your recipe sounds similar to one I use for Beef Brisket Noodle Soup (except I load up on water in my instant pot and no curry just pure chu hou sauce).
In this scenario, you can get away with any curry powder since curry isn't the main ingredient. The stew should have a very beef savory, a little sweet taste yet with a hint of curry. It's not about the colour, I find the taste between Mr. Gouda vs Indian/Vietnamese curry powder taste very different.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
2171 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: Mr Gouda brand is a Trini style...different flavour profile or you just don't like them?

Can you use Garam masala and perhaps add more tumeric?

I usually wing it. some of this, some of that, some more of this, some more of that. I have so many "mixes" (pav baji mix, tandoori mix etc) or sorts and use that as well if I want some reddish colour.
Different flavour for this particular dish. I use Mr. Gouda for bbq chicken; just not asian beef stew. It's not the colour, it's the taste.

Thanks for the suggestion on finger meat, never tried it but will add it to the list.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
4196 posts
3204 upvotes
toronto
DiceMan wrote: Just made Sunday Thanksgiving dinner for our modest family of three:

Leg of Lamb and gravy from drippings (hickory smoked 4 hrs, sous vide 24 hrs, then torch seared to medium rare).
Butternut Squash soup.
Potato Salad.
Home made Pumpkin pie.

I hope everyone is having a good Thanksgiving weekend. Happy Thanksgiving!
20201011_191835d.jpg20201011_162942a.jpg20201011_172627a.jpg20201011_171548a.jpg20201011_212511a.jpg
please share your potato salad recipe!
Got that FIDO account!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7369 posts
4674 upvotes
Between Countries
riseagainstthemachine wrote: please share your potato salad recipe!
Potato salad is easy enough so that I usually just "freehand" it without a recipe depending on what I have on hand. Besides the potatoes and mayo (or Miracle Whip), I usually have some combination of chopped pineapple, diced apples, hardboiled eggs, or shrimp.

The potato salad in the picture is:
  • 4 medium russet potatoes (skinned and cut to 1" or 1.5" pieces and then boiled until soft (but not mushy) and then left to cool)
  • 4 Tbsp mayonnaise (approx - I just eyeball it to taste) mixed in after potatoes have cooled
  • 1 apple, peeled and diced
  • 1 stalk of celery, diced
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (optional but I wanted to give the salad a bit of a kick this time - I usually don't add vinegar)
  • 2 hardboiled eggs, sliced and used to decorate as pictured - or you can just chop them up and mix them with everything else.
  • your choice of spices but the pictured salad has oregano, basil, salt, black pepper, and parsley flakes sprinkled as a garnish on top to make it look pretty

Simple is best!
20201011_172627a.jpg
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
4196 posts
3204 upvotes
toronto
DiceMan wrote: Potato salad is easy enough so that I usually just "freehand" it without a recipe depending on what I have on hand. Besides the potatoes and mayo (or Miracle Whip), I usually have some combination of chopped pineapple, diced apples, hardboiled eggs, or shrimp.

The potato salad in the picture is:
  • 4 medium russet potatoes (skinned and cut to 1" or 1.5" pieces and then boiled until soft (but not mushy) and then left to cool)
  • 4 Tbsp mayonnaise (approx - I just eyeball it to taste) mixed in after potatoes have cooled
  • 1 apple, peeled and diced
  • 1 stalk of celery, diced
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (optional but I wanted to give the salad a bit of a kick this time - I usually don't add vinegar)
  • 2 hardboiled eggs, sliced and used to decorate as pictured - or you can just chop them up and mix them with everything else.
  • your choice of spices but the pictured salad has oregano, basil, salt, black pepper, and parsley flakes sprinkled as a garnish on top to make it look pretty

Simple is best!
20201011_172627a.jpg
pineapple eh, never thought of that
Got that FIDO account!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
We made pizza tonight. Fresh made dough, roasted garlic, mushrooms, my smoked back bacon, prosciutto and cherry bomb peppers.. mozza and topped with fresh grated parm!

IMG_2847.JPG

IMG_2852.JPG
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes
badOne wrote: veggies looks undercooked but i like the dish
They're not but thanks for the unsolicited critique :rolleyes:
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
Portobello mushroom sandwich x 2, made with balsamic vinegar/soy sauce/honey dijon mustard marinade, and hummus on sprouted bread.

Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
2171 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: Pad thai from scratch
Wow- looks yummy! Pad Thai’s one of my favourite. Will be making pad see ew tomorrow.

Where did you find the pad Thai sauce (tamarind)?
Deal Guru
Apr 6, 2005
11694 posts
2915 upvotes
Toronto
Never fail Beer can Chicken! Can share all the crispy skin all around too.
Images
  • 20201018_142154.jpg
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7369 posts
4674 upvotes
Between Countries
Eggs Benedict for brunch - it's been forever since I had this dish and I had a real craving for it today. Hollandaise sauce (egg yolk and butter emulsion and lemon juice) over poached eggs, luncheon meat, and toast (yes, poor man style - I didn't have English muffins or better meat like bacon).
20201018_105108.jpg
20201018_105112.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7369 posts
4674 upvotes
Between Countries
anatman wrote: More Indian basics. Standard pulao made with potatoes, cauliflower, and peas.

Firmly in camp, "if it's not made with turmeric it's not pulao".
I just wanted to say I love your Indian dish postings. Can I assume your background is Indian? Mine is not but I love cooking and eating the cuisine. Looking forward to be inspired by someone who can cook the real deal. I'm not too familiar with the dishes you post (and that's a good thing as I get exposed more) - do you do any of the restaurant standards?