Food & Drink

What are you having for dinner? *PICS*

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 9:14 pm
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 16, 2010
6358 posts
3284 upvotes
Aurora
-=phelan=- wrote:
Where's the invite? I want some now lol :)
Thanks, phelan, much appreciated! Kimchi Jjigae is actually easier than you might think. See below.
BongoBong wrote: Looks amazing! Have a specific recipe you use?
Thanks. I based the dish on the two recipes below. The first includes making kimchi and the Korean Dashi stock from scratch. I wasn't inclined to do that and used store bought kimchi and chicken stock instead (probably what most Koreans would do at home).

Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
43428 posts
6677 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
DiceMan wrote: Thanks, phelan, much appreciated! Kimchi Jjigae is actually easier than you might think. See below.



Thanks. I based the dish on the two recipes below. The first includes making kimchi and the Korean Dashi stock from scratch. I wasn't inclined to do that and used store bought kimchi and chicken stock instead (probably what most Koreans would do at home).

Dashi stock eh!
I keep this @ home...

Image
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 16, 2010
6358 posts
3284 upvotes
Aurora
UrbanPoet wrote: Dashi stock eh!
I keep this @ home...
I've seen this on the shelves but it's one of the few ingredients I don't see myself using over and over again so never bothered to try it. Is it a paste that you dilute with water? I've actually never tasted plain dashi before other than in dishes. Does is taste fishy due to the anchovies like a fish stock? I just added some shrimp paste (Chinese) to my chicken stock as a substitute.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
43428 posts
6677 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
DiceMan wrote: I've seen this on the shelves but it's one of the few ingredients I don't see myself using over and over again so never bothered to try it. Is it a paste that you dilute with water? I've actually never tasted plain dashi before other than in dishes. Does is taste fishy due to the anchovies like a fish stock? I just added some shrimp paste (Chinese) to my chicken stock as a substitute.
Its a powder. Granules.
It has a slight fishy taste. Not in a bad way. It just adds some depth to japanese/korean style cooking.
I use it to make ramen soup base. And korean soups.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3577 posts
1382 upvotes
Mississauga
Trout, zata'ar, young potatoes and quick salad.
IMG_20200830_201646_420.jpg
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1386 posts
847 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Its a powder. Granules.
It has a slight fishy taste. Not in a bad way. It just adds some depth to japanese/korean style cooking.
I use it to make ramen soup base. And korean soups.
Makes a mean clam / seafood chowder. Dilute the hondashi with warm water, mix with cream and into pot of softened onions and potaoes. Once the potatoes are cooked, add clams or you favorite seafoods.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
43428 posts
6677 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
my0gr81 wrote: Makes a mean clam / seafood chowder. Dilute the hondashi with warm water, mix with cream and into pot of softened onions and potaoes. Once the potatoes are cooked, add clams or you favorite seafoods.
Would be greAt for that purpose!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 16, 2010
6358 posts
3284 upvotes
Aurora
-=phelan=- wrote: Pan fried abalone sauced shrimp and scallops with brocolli along with imitation sharks fin (hawker stall style) soup.
Looks fantastic. What do you use for the imitation shark's fin? I've tried Korean glass noodles in the past.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
6028 posts
1016 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: How do you get the soft shells to stay in boat shape like that?
I've seen people rest it all on top of gas burners naked and let it crisp. Any exposed flames would make it keep it's shape
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8480 posts
2946 upvotes
Wifey and I skipped dinner last night, busy with other things, so opted for a late night snack after boys went to bed.
Images
  • IMG_20200903_194648.jpg
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 16, 2010
6358 posts
3284 upvotes
Aurora
Spring Rolls for lunch. My wife, not me, made a big batch of 50 spring rolls this morning. I ate entirely too many!
Image
.
20200906_114000.jpg
20200906_115218.jpg

Top