Food & Drink

What are you having for dinner? *PICS*

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 8:36 pm
Jul 15, 2009
457 posts
910 upvotes
Toronto
sharkhead wrote: I have been looking for Korean chilli pepper for months to make Kimchi, before I hit the Korean store which is far away, can we find Korean chilli pepper at other stores?
I found some in my local asian supermarket (Fusion in Scarborough), though it took some searching. Look for a package that has this written in Korean on it: 고춧가루 (or use a picture on your phone to compare while shopping).

I'd stick with something decent quality. Don't get the cheapest stuff that might have dyes etc in it, but no need to splurge on the ludicrously expensive (like $50/lb) authentic premium stuff from Korea, either.
Last edited by anatman on Sep 15th, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43390 posts
6634 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
anatman wrote:

I think the key is to use good Korean dried chili pepper (gochugaru), since it's got a unique flavour profile that really makes or breaks the dish. Unlike sauerkraut, you don't have too be too careful with the salt since you're going to wash it away (don't forget to do that!). More traditional kimchi involves layering the individual leaves, but ain't nobody got time for that--I think it helps in preservation so makes sense in traditional cases where you're making a year's batch of 20+ napa cabbages in one go. Since I was planning on making the jjigae I let it ferment at room temperature for considerably longer than I would have otherwise--to get the wonderful deep fermentation flavours I wanted to pop in the jjigae. EDIT: for the love of god, use gloves when mixing it all together!

The same guy ( Joshua Weissman) has a good sauerkraut video too. Sauerkraut is easier and doesn't require any special ingredients, so it might be a better place to start fermenting. Sauerkraut takes longer to develop (~14 days or more). If it's you're first ferment I'd recommend tasting regularly just to get a good idea of how the flavour develops.
Oh nice write up.
Time to get jigae with it!
May 29, 2017
124 posts
20 upvotes
anatman wrote: I found some in my local asian supermarket (Fusion in Scarborough), though it took some searching. Look for a package that has this written in Korean on it: 고춧가루 (or use a picture on your phone to compare while shopping).

I'd stick with something decent quality. Don't get the cheapest stuff that might have dyes etc in it, but no need to splurge on the ludicrously expensive (like $50/lb) authentic premium stuff from Korea, either.
Thanks for the picture, I'll see if I can find it in nearby stores. With dyes? never thought about it, Thanks for the warning!
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3343 posts
1414 upvotes
Scarborough
Home-made gnocchi with sauce.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by OrangeBerry on Sep 17th, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3343 posts
1414 upvotes
Scarborough
zalapski wrote: Nice. What did you use to shape the gnocchis?
I didn't own a gnocchi board and I tried with a fork and it wasn't the consistency I wanted so I had to improvise. Noticed my mandolin and one of the templates had just about the right ridges needed so I used that. Here's a pic.

Jul 15, 2009
457 posts
910 upvotes
Toronto
anatman wrote: I also made a lot of pesto sauce with the basil (and parsley) harvest. I'm already planning to make pesto pasta with garlic butter shrimp, but could use some more ideas on what to do with the pesto sauce.
Still could use more ideas for pesto sauce uses, though garlic butter shrimp and pesto pasta was really delicious.

Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3343 posts
1414 upvotes
Scarborough
-=phelan=- wrote: Sous vide some duck breast this evening and seared it on the cast iron. Maple glazed it with some garlic seasoning for it along with some basic veggie stir fry (snap peas and celery)
I'm always impressed with asian cuisine, if you don't me asking I would like location where you buy your duck and recipe please
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6348 posts
3255 upvotes
Aurora
anatman wrote: Still could use more ideas for pesto sauce uses, though garlic butter shrimp and pesto pasta was really delicious.
How about Salmon en Croute? Salmon filet with pesto, cream cheese, and spinach wrapped in puff pastry and baked. I make this a couple of times a year. It's a bit of effort but good if you want to stretch your legs and impress the mother-in-law or something.

Something like this:
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10839 posts
5908 upvotes
Markham
IMG_20200920_182622.jpg
..Sept 20 is NATIONAL PEPPERONI PIZZA DAY.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4020 posts
789 upvotes
West Side GTA
OrangeBerry wrote:
I'm always impressed with asian cuisine, if you don't me asking I would like location where you buy your duck and recipe please
In all honesty nothing fancy. Bought the duck breast from Loblaws at 50%off (true rfder lol)

Recipe was simple insert breast in zippy bag and season with garlic maple seasoning and sous vide for 4hrs after sear on cast iron
Images
  • IMG_20200919_232017.jpg