What are you having for dinner? *PICS*

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2020 9:24 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3353 posts
1418 upvotes
Scarborough
-=phelan=- wrote: In all honesty nothing fancy. Bought the duck breast from Loblaws at 50%off (true rfder lol)

Recipe was simple insert breast in zippy bag and season with garlic maple seasoning and sous vide for 4hrs after sear on cast iron
Awesome thanks
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10881 posts
5992 upvotes
Markham
-=phelan=- wrote: Mind if I swing by for the Buy 1 Get 1 Free deal from you ;) Damn that looks good, good job! :)
It's the Kenji Lopez Alt/Serious Eats Pan Pizza [no knead dough]. Always a winner in my books.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jul 15, 2009
460 posts
929 upvotes
Toronto
Made another bird.

I'm playing around with whether or not to truss it. Cooking it in the closed dutch oven over a bed of vegetables, basically steams it so the cooking is very even and quite forgiving. So you don't really need to truss, unless you're trying to keep the stuffing in, or something like that. By not trussing, more of the skin gets exposed to allow it to brown and crisp (particularly the inner thighs and wings). I think I prefer it this way. On the off chance that there is uneven cooking and the breast seems dry by the time the legs are cooked, try ramming some butter under the breast skin to keep the breast juicy and skin crisp.

Last edited by anatman on Sep 21st, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7008 posts
4173 upvotes
Victoria, BC
There sure are some fabulous home cooks on this board! Your pictures do inspire me. Keep them all coming:)
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3578 posts
1383 upvotes
Mississauga
Vegan protein packed. Another one for meatless Monday. Pretty soon I'll be meatless on Mondays for a full year. I'll follow with two days a week after that.
IMG_20200921_191517_826.jpg
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4842 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto
20200924_184935.jpg

Lobster tail (Past weekly special PM with RCSS)
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6654 posts
2904 upvotes
anatman wrote: Made another bird.

I'm playing around with whether or not to truss it. Cooking it in the closed dutch oven over a bed of vegetables, basically steams it so the cooking is very even and quite forgiving. So you don't really need to truss, unless you're trying to keep the stuffing in, or something like that. By not trussing, more of the skin gets exposed to allow it to brown and crisp (particularly the inner thighs and wings). I think I prefer it this way. On the off chance that there is uneven cooking and the breast seems dry by the time the legs are cooked, try ramming some butter under the breast skin to keep the breast juicy and skin crisp.

is this a spatchcucked chicken
Jul 15, 2009
460 posts
929 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote: is this a spatchcucked chicken
No. I just sear the back side on a cast iron pan before dropping it into the dutch oven. Easy-peasy 10 min prep (usually salt/pepper rub the chicken and let it dry out the fridge for a few hours before hand for crispy skin).

If I wasn't using the dutch oven, I'd probably spatchcock.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1394 posts
851 upvotes
Dragon120 wrote: Pho in progress- been simmering for 4 hours.
Combination of beef marrow, beef and pork bones, and other spices.

Here’s the end result. Forgot to buy basil and bean sprouts from the market.
A Vietnamese friend of mine once told me that the authentic Pho broth is only made with one kind of protein, not mixed. The mixed protein broth came from the Chinese diaspora in Vietnam that look at it more like "noodle soup" than Pho. Our go to Vietnamese place in Richmond Hill only uses beef broth for their Pho and another one only uses pork broth.

@h2o- That lobster looks fantastic. I liked that you didn't doused in garlic butter, just enough at the top to enhance the taste.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10881 posts
5992 upvotes
Markham
my0gr81 wrote: A Vietnamese friend of mine once told me that the authentic Pho broth is only made with one kind of protein, not mixed. The mixed protein broth came from the Chinese diaspora in Vietnam. They look at it more like "noodle soup" than Pho. Our go to Vietnamese place in Richmond Hill only uses beef broth for their Pho.

@h2o- That lobster looks fantastic. I liked that you didn't doused in garlic butter, just enough at the top to enhance the taste.
"Single protein" may be true authentic but we live in a very mixed multicultural environment and mixing is likely a better thing to do.

I've been adding some Better than Bouillon "clam base" to my noodle broths...fantastic umami taste and flavour. This is not authentic but delicious and inspired by Konjiki Ramen.

https://www.betterthanbouillon.com/products/clam-base/
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
3302 posts
50 upvotes
GTA
Care to share where in RH? We are always all-in for delicious Pho.
my0gr81 wrote: A Vietnamese friend of mine once told me that the authentic Pho broth is only made with one kind of protein, not mixed. The mixed protein broth came from the Chinese diaspora in Vietnam that look at it more like "noodle soup" than Pho. Our go to Vietnamese place in Richmond Hill only uses beef broth for their Pho and another one only uses pork broth.

Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1394 posts
851 upvotes
zalapski wrote: Care to share where in RH? We are always all-in for delicious Pho.
Little Saigon on Yonge & Weldrick, authentic Vietnamese taste profile, all beef broth.

Down the next the plaza, Pho Tai Bac, more Viet/Chinese fusion taste profile?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8491 posts
2960 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Guinness beef pies, mac & cheese, the pan is just left over excess filling from the meat pies. Friend made this.
No phones at the table!

Food looks great! I could dip nachos or pitas in that extra filling all night.