Food & Drink

What are you having for dinner? *PICS*

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2023 11:12 am
Jun 4, 2007
978 posts
372 upvotes
hordosr wrote: 12 year old daughter really wanted to make authentic ramen for her cooking night....not the highlight of my week but at least she tried
I had a similar idea last night but I wasn't really going for authentic. For a first try, I think it turned out pretty decent.
Images
  • IMG_20210519_180255986~3.jpg
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18469 posts
13257 upvotes
Markham
hordosr wrote: 12 year old daughter really wanted to make authentic ramen for her cooking night....not the highlight of my week but at least she tried
Any pics? when you say "not the highlight" was it not good or was it that you ended up doing all the work? Perhaps you can try again with our help....I've made ramen [everything from broth to noodles to toppings] before and it was really good. Cooking is a fantastic life skill, it can teach a lot of great things to kids like your daughter. Encourage it.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4897 posts
3095 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Haven't posted here in a while. Pesto shrimp.
IMG_20210521_201502_022.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6694 posts
6277 upvotes
mfrania wrote: I have these spiral cutters I bought a while back. They look similar to these ones: https://www.amazon.ca/Sausage-Plastic-B ... 094YGWZ8G/. I like using them because they add more surface for the toppings :)
Ah ok...yeah I always find onions fall off too lol. What's your recipe for the cucumber salad btw?
mfrania wrote: I had a similar idea last night but I wasn't really going for authentic. For a first try, I think it turned out pretty decent.
looks good!
gr8dlr wrote: Spiral cut. You don't need another gadget you're eventually going to garage sale.

You can also do Octopus like cuts/firecracker

I slice it thru the middle lengthwise [not all the way thru] so it lays flat which cooks faster.
Argh you have defrost the hotdogs before doing this - I cook from frozen. But this is neat, I'm going to try when I remember to defrost them. The firecrackers ones look horrible and unappetizing.
Jun 4, 2007
978 posts
372 upvotes
hierophant wrote: What's your recipe for the cucumber salad btw?
These are just sliced cucumbers with a bit of sour creme, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and roasted ground coriander. You can also add some fresh dill but I didn't have any.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7156 posts
4437 upvotes
Between Countries
Anyone up for more brunch? Char Siu Potato Hash. I made some Chinese BBQ pork (Char Siu) the other day and just threw in the remainders in today's potato hash.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10539 posts
3839 upvotes
Cross posted from the BC spot prawns thread

So picked up my shrimp today at false creek from bclivespotprawns in false creek Vancouver. At 11:15 am they announced on Facebook the boats coming at 11:45 and to arrive after 12:45

Some pics of the cook out. I did eat it sashimi style and even if you’re not into sashimi these things have a nice sweet taste. My buddy prepared to them and we may have slightly over cooked but still amazing.

Below is what 5LB looks like and that’s a 1.14 litre bottle of Jamison. Fed 5 people with left overs nut we also had chicken wings
Images
  • 4E61B08F-9E3D-495B-8D10-DA3E55AF6323.jpeg
  • E8C799E5-98E1-42D7-9035-30F9E3E02669.jpeg
  • 2B35971D-EEBE-47BD-A1BE-8CB22A313056.jpeg
  • 53FF9A32-6D86-4BA2-9D59-774B8B353698.jpeg
  • 76AFE011-AE46-4F3C-979E-2A0BFCD7B306.jpeg
  • 6194A247-3AFC-416D-A372-025A6CB21BF3.jpeg
  • B5E0F45C-1ADF-4A52-9918-B1D63549E1F9.jpeg
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13374 posts
7639 upvotes
This feta pasta thing is easily my favourite pasta dish these days. So simple and make it big you have leftovers for 2 work lunches at least.
Images
  • IMG_20210525_173710.jpg
  • IMG_20210525_183219.jpg
  • IMG_20210525_190244.jpg
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18469 posts
13257 upvotes
Markham
Gutty96 wrote: This feta pasta thing is easily my favourite pasta dish these days. So simple and make it big you have leftovers for 2 work lunches at least.
Waiting for my homegrown cherry tomatoes crop before I try this dish.

Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13374 posts
7639 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Waiting for my homegrown cherry tomatoes crop before I try this dish.
Oh you need a lot! I am sure that would make it fantastic, but home growns like just popping in for finger food snacks.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6694 posts
6277 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: Cross posted from the BC spot prawns thread

So picked up my shrimp today at false creek from bclivespotprawns in false creek Vancouver. At 11:15 am they announced on Facebook the boats coming at 11:45 and to arrive after 12:45

Some pics of the cook out. I did eat it sashimi style and even if you’re not into sashimi these things have a nice sweet taste. My buddy prepared to them and we may have slightly over cooked but still amazing.

Below is what 5LB looks like and that’s a 1.14 litre bottle of Jamison. Fed 5 people with left overs nut we also had chicken wings
The picture of the seal is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm jealous of anyone who is fortunate enough to live in BC.
DiceMan wrote: Anyone up for more brunch? Char Siu Potato Hash. I made some Chinese BBQ pork (Char Siu) the other day and just threw in the remainders in today's potato hash.
Just curious but I've meaning to ask why you use a hot plate to cook vs stove?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7156 posts
4437 upvotes
Between Countries
hierophant wrote: Just curious but I've meaning to ask why you use a hot plate to cook vs stove?
No problem. My stove is a standard electric flat top. My portable cook top is electric induction. Years ago, we bought one of these new fangled induction machines to play around with and never turned back. Induction is just SO much faster and better overall that we literally use the induction 99% of the time in favour over the stove.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6694 posts
6277 upvotes
DiceMan wrote: No problem. My stove is a standard electric flat top. My portable cook top is electric induction. Years ago, we bought one of these new fangled induction machines to play around with and never turned back. Induction is just SO much faster and better overall that we literally use the induction 99% of the time in favour over the stove.
Ah ok! I've seen some cooking videos and was so confused why they're all using "hot plates" lol. Just quickly read up on induction cooktops - good to know about these things b/c I have down draft gas stove that's over 20 years old and I've been dreading the day it stops working b/c it's going to cost an arm and a leg to replace but this might be the perfect solution when that day comes.
Banned
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
344 upvotes
Moderators lick khun…
GangStarr wrote: Cross posted from the BC spot prawns thread

Looks great. I always understood to not season spots too much. Sashimi, awesome. Maybe I just heard wrong. I used to buy some nice big sockeye down at the Fraser surrey docs 30 years ago so buying off the boat was a nice reminder.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4897 posts
3095 upvotes
Milton, ON.
gr8dlr wrote: Waiting for my homegrown cherry tomatoes crop before I try this dish.
Waste. Canned are perfect for this. And you need 400g can for 100g feta and whatever pasta you eat, single serving dinner.... for me.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13374 posts
7639 upvotes
DiceMan wrote: No problem. My stove is a standard electric flat top. My portable cook top is electric induction. Years ago, we bought one of these new fangled induction machines to play around with and never turned back. Induction is just SO much faster and better overall that we literally use the induction 99% of the time in favour over the stove.
This is the one thing that scares or disappoints me leading into moving into the new house, is giving up the gas stove and going back to electric. It's a Bosch stove top mind you, but still...... Maybe a portable induction cook top is something to consider.

That said, going from a shoe box yard to almost 2 acres and a pool, levels the lack of gas stove out quickly.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7156 posts
4437 upvotes
Between Countries
Gutty96 wrote: This is the one thing that scares or disappoints me leading into moving into the new house, is giving up the gas stove and going back to electric. It's a Bosch stove top mind you, but still...... Maybe a portable induction cook top is something to consider.

That said, going from a shoe box yard to almost 2 acres and a pool, levels the lack of gas stove out quickly.
Ahh, yeah, I think two acres and a pool trumps a gas stove any day! Though, if you love your gas, why don't you just have a line installed for a couple of hundred? As an aside, I'm torn between gas vs induction in my new home. Gas is infinitely adjustable whereas induction power levels come in increments, which is one of the downsides. The other is that full, four burner induction cooktops are still quite expensive compared to gas or standard electric. My optimum dream setup is a gas stove and separate portable induction burners, I think.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13374 posts
7639 upvotes
DiceMan wrote: Ahh, yeah, I think two acres and a pool trumps a gas stove any day! Though, if you love your gas, why don't you just have a line installed for a couple of hundred? As an aside, I'm torn between gas vs induction in my new home. Gas is infinitely adjustable whereas induction power levels come in increments, which is one of the downsides. The other is that full, four burner induction cooktops are still quite expensive compared to gas or standard electric. My optimum dream setup is a gas stove and separate portable induction burners, I think.
Ya, I don't know if a new stove is in the cards. Right away anyway. Not to mention, the one that is there, is nice and matches everything else.

We need a lot of indoor and outdoor furniture going from a townhouse to a full property. Heck, the new house has 3 separate "living rooms"...... We have 1 couch. For example. Same without side, at least 4 different "sitting areas" at the back, and the covered front porch. We have 1 patio set, and 1 lounger. LOL. Hopefully a hot tub will take care of one of those sitting areas, haha.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18469 posts
13257 upvotes
Markham
Gutty96 wrote: Ya, I don't know if a new stove is in the cards. Right away anyway. Not to mention, the one that is there, is nice and matches everything else.

We need a lot of indoor and outdoor furniture going from a townhouse to a full property. Heck, the new house has 3 separate "living rooms"...... We have 1 couch. For example. Same without side, at least 4 different "sitting areas" at the back, and the covered front porch. We have 1 patio set, and 1 lounger. LOL. Hopefully a hot tub will take care of one of those sitting areas, haha.
I've never understood some of these houses that ppl build and why they build so many rooms like that. Maybe one room could be the kids hangout/game room and maybe another could be a TV/movie room.

Like lots of things...there's no rush for anything immediate. eg You have a nice Bosch stove albeit not gas. You have a lot of outdoor cooking appliances so if you want fast heat like gas, cook outdoors like you seem to do all the time anyways.

Bigger place comes with more toys/stuff that we seem to accumulate only to fill space. Looking forward to see the "evolution" of the place.

Look to the used market perhaps for filling things out. My brother got some amazingly expensive outdoor table and chairs from Kijiji....not cheap but it was way cheaper than what they person originally paid for it. There are always ppl redecorating for the sake of redecorating.

Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13374 posts
7639 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: I've never understood some of these houses that ppl build and why they build so many rooms like that. Maybe one room could be the kids hangout/game room and maybe another could be a TV/movie room.

Like lots of things...there's no rush for anything immediate. eg You have a nice Bosch stove albeit not gas. You have a lot of outdoor cooking appliances so if you want fast heat like gas, cook outdoors like you seem to do all the time anyways.

Bigger place comes with more toys/stuff that we seem to accumulate only to fill space. Looking forward to see the "evolution" of the place.

Look to the used market perhaps for filling things out. My brother got some amazingly expensive outdoor table and chairs from Kijiji....not cheap but it was way cheaper than what they person originally paid for it. There are always ppl redecorating for the sake of redecorating.
Ya, that's the way it will lay out I think. The upstairs room will be the "kids room" the one that shares space with the kitchen is more of any "entertaining" space, for the company when we can have it again. The basement, well hopefully that will be the man cave. I plan to put the biggest TV down there, with our current lounger couch ( wife approved, unfortunately ) as it already has the pool table and dartboard being left from the previous owners.

We are ABSOLUTELY exploring the used marketplaces. already bought a new dinner table, as our current one will be too large for where it goes. Oddly enough, the new house lacks a dedicated dining room, so that will be something we will have to live with.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

uofs09