Shopping Discussion

What Are You Hoping Changes in Shopping (after everything reopens)?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2020 11:40 pm
[OP]
Jan 4, 2008
661 posts
321 upvotes
Mississauga

What Are You Hoping Changes in Shopping (after everything reopens)?

We've seen stores changing the way they operate, but what do you want to see change (or stay the same based on them already being changed recently) once they open back?

For me, I want to see more free shipping options, or at the very least cheaper minimums. I've actually bought MORE items now than I did in the weeks or months before stores shut down. Partially because of the sales, but also because of the free shipping. No more do I have to wait until my cart reaches a specific amount to get free shipping. If I want some item now, I'll buy it rather than holding off until later when I have other purchases from there to make, which by then I either don't want it anymore, or forgot what I was looking for.

That Sportchek sale for instance. Rather than waiting until I reach a minimum, I'm checking in day by day to see what they have, buying as I see them. If I held off and only bought them in one big order, I probably would miss out on stuff or just be waiting a while before I get free shipping.

Another change I hope happens is better utilization of their website. Some bigger retailers still don't have online websites where you can check their inventory. Most don't have live chat options for customer service. That would be way more helpful than sending an email and waiting a day or two, or spending time calling. Live chat is easier and more convenient.
26 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18740 posts
6791 upvotes
Toronto
Grocery pick up and delivery needs to be improve significantly. Clearly the demand will continue even when this ends. I also agree with you free shipping or lower thresholds is a good thing. Social distancing is the new norm and stores will continue to operate like this for a while now. The plexiglass shields installed will be a reminder of this pandemic.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2008
661 posts
321 upvotes
Mississauga
carmaster wrote: Grocery pick up and delivery needs to be improve significantly. Clearly the demand will continue even when this ends. I also agree with you free shipping or lower thresholds is a good thing. Social distancing is the new norm and stores will continue to operate like this for a while now. The plexiglass shields installed will be a reminder of this pandemic.
I've actually applied in the past for that kind of job but never got it. Stores should be hiring more people whose only job is to gather online orders within their own store rather than making someone working the floor or cash do it.

And speaking of cashier, I wouldn't be surprised if we see more stores going with self checkouts in the future. At the bare minimum, have 1 employee monitoring 2 self checkouts at a time. At least double the efficiency here so that if someone has a question, theres enough employees to ask, and customers can cash out without needing as many cashiers as you had before.

Things like that are probably easier to do when all items are scannable (so groceries can't always have the since people can cheat the system when buying by the pound)
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14735 posts
27759 upvotes
Scarborough
I hope every business who started offering curbside pickup, continues to do so after things return to normal.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Sep 18, 2009
376 posts
151 upvotes
Brampton
I want more curbside pickup.

Also these companies need to look at their online options better. Canadian tire has been a complete mess for a bit here for me in southern Ontario.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10665 posts
12911 upvotes
Vancouver
dxbender wrote: And speaking of cashier, I wouldn't be surprised if we see more stores going with self checkouts in the future.
Yes but they MUST STOP with the “please place the item into the bagging area” nonsense, like Loblaws has already done. I had an infuriating time at Save On Foods recently when I got that message 3 times with 3 loaves of bread and had to wait for an attendant to come over and override it each time before I could continue. She was manning another checkout, so not only was my time wasted, but hers and all the customers in her line.

It’s lunacy, end it already!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4578 upvotes
Alberta
More self checkouts. None of the Canadian Tires, Walmarts, London Drugs, SDM's near me have them.
Apr 10, 2020
285 posts
1058 upvotes
dxbender wrote: We've seen stores changing the way they operate, but what do you want to see change (or stay the same based on them already being changed recently) once they open back?

For me, I want to see more free shipping options, or at the very least cheaper minimums. I've actually bought MORE items now than I did in the weeks or months before stores shut down. Partially because of the sales, but also because of the free shipping. No more do I have to wait until my cart reaches a specific amount to get free shipping. If I want some item now, I'll buy it rather than holding off until later when I have other purchases from there to make, which by then I either don't want it anymore, or forgot what I was looking for.

That Sportchek sale for instance. Rather than waiting until I reach a minimum, I'm checking in day by day to see what they have, buying as I see them. If I held off and only bought them in one big order, I probably would miss out on stuff or just be waiting a while before I get free shipping.

Another change I hope happens is better utilization of their website. Some bigger retailers still don't have online websites where you can check their inventory. Most don't have live chat options for customer service. That would be way more helpful than sending an email and waiting a day or two, or spending time calling. Live chat is easier and more convenient.
I would definitely love to see free shipping options or lower minimums, but I highly doubt that's going to happen. A lot of businesses need to spend a lot of money to ship out and they must have calculated what is the perfect amount they need to cover the costs, so not to eat into their profits. This is one reason why I end up going to the store to get the item, since it's not worth having to buy $20 of filler items to reach that amount.

As for live chat options, a lot of places are already doing it. The issue lies with the waiting times to get to a customer service representative. For Home Depot, in several cases, you don't get to speak to one. You fill out the form and you wait. The worst part is that they don't tell you and leave you hanging there. I'd rather have them give me a generic message that you are waiting in line or that they are simply unavailable and ask you to try again later.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3232 posts
3253 upvotes
GTA
jackrabbit000 wrote: More self checkouts. None of the Canadian Tires, Walmarts, London Drugs, SDM's near me have them.
The CT near me had them for a while but removed them. I asked why and they said theft. I guess people weren't scanning everything they put in the bag.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2008
1093 posts
589 upvotes
Toronto
carmaster wrote: Grocery pick up and delivery needs to be improve significantly. Clearly the demand will continue even when this ends. I also agree with you free shipping or lower thresholds is a good thing. Social distancing is the new norm and stores will continue to operate like this for a while now. The plexiglass shields installed will be a reminder of this pandemic.
This.
The grocery online/pickup thing is just not where it needs to be. I expect Loblaws and Sobeys to speed things up going forward and offer delivery.

I would like stores to have EXTENDED HOURS- and thereby reducing the number of people in-stores--not these condensed hours
Jun 5, 2017
106 posts
33 upvotes
It would be great if people stop breathing down my neck in grocery store lineups, but I'm not holding out hope considering it's barely stopped with a mandated personal distance written on the floor. People think standing ludicrously close to the person in front of them in line somehow speeds up the process. Especially bad when attempting to pay.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4297 posts
1662 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Some form of social distancing is something I hope continues, but I doubt people will. Personally I like to have a little personal space at the best of times and like above do not appreciate people breathing down my neck.

I hope that curbside pickup remains an option at stores that have providing it.

And lastly I think that restricting the numbers of items purchased should be permanent. In the event this sort of situation arrives again in our lifetime it would be nice to know that all the selfish a$$holes of the world can't hoard on day 1. There's no need for anyone to be able to hoard ever again.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16690 posts
6937 upvotes
- Keep the plastic "shields". You don't need to be breathing on the cashiers.
- Even bigger move towards paying with credit / debit. Cash is an old, archaic method that is not needed on such a large scale.
- Restrictions on returning certain types of products and tightening of return policies. Why would I want to pick an item off the shelf that has cycled through a stranger's home or perhaps even have been used by them?
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18740 posts
6791 upvotes
Toronto
Costco needs to tighten up their return policy and say all original packaging needed. I have seen so many people return things without a box or anything. That is not acceptable. If you threw the box out, the item is not returnable.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4321 upvotes
Costco should just keep all their current "distancing" rules in other than removing the switchbacks to get into the place (or increase how many shoppers are in the store at one time, so the lineup is shorter). I love the current setup:

1- No more free samples
2- No more food court seating
3- Sample ladies redeployed to the checkouts where they're more useful
4- One lineup that leads to the checkout area and you're sent to the next available lane, so you'll never get stuck in a "slow lane".
5- One membership card allows member and one guest ONLY.
6- One way traffic "maze" to get to the toilet paper

All of these have made the Costco experience a lot better. 1, 2, and 5 have quickly put an end to people bringing in their entire litters for free samples and then fill up on $1.50 hot dogs, taking up all the space. Costco was great in that they put that rule in right before March Break!
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4158 posts
795 upvotes
Richmond
dxbender wrote: I've actually applied in the past for that kind of job but never got it. Stores should be hiring more people whose only job is to gather online orders within their own store rather than making someone working the floor or cash do it.

And speaking of cashier, I wouldn't be surprised if we see more stores going with self checkouts in the future. At the bare minimum, have 1 employee monitoring 2 self checkouts at a time. At least double the efficiency here so that if someone has a question, theres enough employees to ask, and customers can cash out without needing as many cashiers as you had before.

Things like that are probably easier to do when all items are scannable (so groceries can't always have the since people can cheat the system when buying by the pound)[/quotenope, I'm seeing more flexing on the regular lanes rather than self checkout. Originally they had been pushing for more penetration but now they've given up and are now sending people to a regular checkout from self checkout because cashiers are much faster than self checkout. I'm hoping this continues and they flex on the regular checkouts.
my
Superstore recently expanded hours to 10 pm
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4321 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Costco needs to tighten up their return policy and say all original packaging needed. I have seen so many people return things without a box or anything. That is not acceptable. If you threw the box out, the item is not returnable.
I agree. If I buy something there where I might make use of the return policy I make sure to keep the packaging AND the receipt. That way there's no arguing with the returns desk. A biggie for me is LED lightbulbs... the first ones I ever bought at Costco barely lasted a year despite advertising 10+ year life. So once they all died (that took 14 months for the last one to quit) back they all went..

Returns lady gave me some attitude with "You're lucky to get a year out of them" so I said "if the box said one year I wouldn't have bought them..." She processed the return and refunded all my money.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1813 posts
539 upvotes
Toronto
Queues as lines for grocery shopping. It's the fairest way so you don't get stick behind the wrong person.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2454 posts
1040 upvotes
Montreal, QC
offering virtual gift cards. allowing gift cards to be used online. continue to offer curbside pick up. also, better implementation of online shopping as some are just bad through and through and i'm not talking about those who started offering it but those who have online shopping for years
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1459 posts
498 upvotes
GTA
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Costco should just keep all their current "distancing" rules in other than removing the switchbacks to get into the place (or increase how many shoppers are in the store at one time, so the lineup is shorter). I love the current setup:

1- No more free samples
2- No more food court seating
3- Sample ladies redeployed to the checkouts where they're more useful
4- One lineup that leads to the checkout area and you're sent to the next available lane, so you'll never get stuck in a "slow lane".
5- One membership card allows member and one guest ONLY.
6- One way traffic "maze" to get to the toilet paper

All of these have made the Costco experience a lot better. 1, 2, and 5 have quickly put an end to people bringing in their entire litters for free samples and then fill up on $1.50 hot dogs, taking up all the space. Costco was great in that they put that rule in right before March Break!
sample ladies are an outside company though