Careers

What are your experiences as a Black or Indigenous person in Canadian workforce?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2020 12:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4114 posts
2014 upvotes
FreshCo wrote: What about arab/middle-eastern/north african though?
I understand this is before I did the other edit to just reflect Black/Indigenous, but what about them?

Let’s not turn this into another All Lives Matter please
Sep 11, 2017
362 posts
228 upvotes
Several years ago, I was in middle management in an organization and one of my colleagues was black. Our team was going through some restructuring and we didn't have a direct VP to report into. The organization brought in a black female contractor to run our team. Through a series of events they promoted her to the executive team and had our team report to her. There were only 2 black individuals in middle/senior management in this organization - Her & my colleague. As it turned out, she end up riding my black colleague so hard that he ended up leaving the team. To this day, he still remembers how she treated him. What surprised me is that minority representation in corporate Canada is minimal and when there is a situation where an organization only has two black individuals in management, one turns on the other and drives them out.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1967 posts
615 upvotes
DT Calgary
MyNameWasTaken wrote: I understand this is before I did the other edit to just reflect Black/Indigenous, but what about them?

Let’s not turn this into another All Lives Matter please
LOL. You edited the title to include East and South Asians, and then edited it back to what it is now. Was just curious why you highlighted East/South Asians and not Arabs.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4047 posts
2809 upvotes
Extrahard wrote: I will stick with black people for now since that's what the topic is about. Do you guys think black people face racial prejudice from other minority groups? I would argue that certain minorities in Canada are a lot more conservative than non recent immigrant caucasians, and a lot more discriminatory in the workplace. You are likely to find a lot of discriminatory practices in settlements with large minority groups.

But yes in general "diversity" is a sham when it comes to who has the actual control of a company. I think this is to be expected though.
Most definitely. Not in the workplace specifically but within homes and homogeneous circles, yes. Even within the black community, there is a divide between skin tone (darker vs light) - that's also in Asian cultures though.
FedExpress wrote: Several years ago, I was in middle management in an organization and one of my colleagues was black. Our team was going through some restructuring and we didn't have a direct VP to report into. The organization brought in a black female contractor to run our team. Through a series of events they promoted her to the executive team and had our team report to her. There were only 2 black individuals in middle/senior management in this organization - Her & my colleague. As it turned out, she end up riding my black colleague so hard that he ended up leaving the team. To this day, he still remembers how she treated him. What surprised me is that minority representation in corporate Canada is minimal and when there is a situation where an organization only has two black individuals in management, one turns on the other and drives them out.
I'm perplexed by how this judgement/generalization can be made (at a national level) based on one localized situation observed by you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4114 posts
2014 upvotes
FreshCo wrote: LOL. You edited the title to include East and South Asians, and then edited it back to what it is now. Was just curious why you highlighted East/South Asians and not Arabs.
No you’re right that’s why I said that in my edit. Then I just got rid of it altogether, but if you had bothered to read the first line in my previous post, I said that I didn’t include everyone and feel free to respond. Regardless, I highlighted those groups because I figured that was the majority on RFD.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4114 posts
2014 upvotes
hierophant wrote:

I'm perplexed by how this judgement/generalization can be made (at a national level) based on one localized situation observed by you.
I can relate to his comment. I’ve seen something similar happen, but not to the extent that the other person left.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4047 posts
2809 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote: I can relate to his comment. I’ve seen something similar happen, but not to the extent that the other person left.
It's really hard to say if that's a racial issue though, that's my point.I doubt when white people in management get into an altercation if it's made about race. Sometimes personalities clash.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4114 posts
2014 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote: I can relate to his comment. I’ve seen something similar happen, but not to the extent that the other person left.
hierophant wrote: It's really hard to say if that's a racial issue though, that's my point.I doubt when white people in management get into an altercation if it's made about race. Sometimes personalities clash.
It’s a perceived threat. When their are few positions to go around, people feel threatened when they notice that the top of the ladder has few minorities. It’s unhealthy but it happens. What happens is those who are like this tend to be the “I have mine so screw your types.”

I understand your point though.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4047 posts
2809 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote: It’s a perceived threat. When their are few positions to go around, people feel threatened when they notice that the top of the ladder has few minorities. It’s unhealthy but it happens. What happens is those who are like this tend to be the “I have mine so screw your types.”

Yep I understand yours too, I totally get that happens but I just want to be cautious about making sweeping generalizations - that can lead to other problems.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5757 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto
MyNameWasTaken wrote: It’s a perceived threat. When their are few positions to go around, people feel threatened when they notice that the top of the ladder has few minorities. It’s unhealthy but it happens. What happens is those who are like this tend to be the “I have mine so screw your types.”

That employee could have also been pushed harder in order for them to succeed and the VP recognized that. Instead they sank.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Sep 11, 2017
362 posts
228 upvotes
hierophant wrote: It's really hard to say if that's a racial issue though, that's my point.I doubt when white people in management get into an altercation if it's made about race. Sometimes personalities clash.
My story is strictly anecdotal but throughout my career I can count on one hand the number of senior leadership personnel I’ve come across that were from minority backgrounds. I’ve been working since 2004. I still keep in touch with my former colleague and his belief is that he was not treated equally as the other members of the team and was driven out by her. Could it be a personality clash? That’s probably a part of it, but given the lack of minority representation in the organization, I would have expected the VP to try harder to support this individual instead of driving him out. On a separate note, once the colleague resigned she said to him ‘why didn’t you come to me to tell me you were unhappy?’...the fact that she was surprised by this further demonstrated her terrible leadership skills.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13381 posts
9265 upvotes
Does a LinkedIn profile picture hurt or help members of these groups these groups? I’m not sure to be honest. I’d think it may hurt in some industries. Thoughts?
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1967 posts
615 upvotes
DT Calgary
JayLove06 wrote: Does a LinkedIn profile picture hurt or help members of these groups these groups? I’m not sure to be honest. I’d think it may hurt in some industries. Thoughts?
I'd find it odd if someone doesn't have a LinkedIn photo of themselves on their profile.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4543 posts
2632 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote: Does a LinkedIn profile picture hurt or help members of these groups these groups? I’m not sure to be honest. I’d think it may hurt in some industries. Thoughts?
Put it this way, do you really want to work for a boss or company that would judge your LinkedIn profile photo? I would be happy to be passed over for a job if that was the case. Screen me out, thank you. I don't want some hiring manager go "o hey this one asian, he will work hard!" or "o this one looks like she could be trouble, too attractive". But at the point you're overthinking it.

As long as your profile photo is professional and appropriate, that's good enough. If it's a photo of sweaty you from Thursday night clubbing cropped from a group photo with your buddy's hand on your shoulder, yeah you're going to get judged hard.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13381 posts
9265 upvotes
bhrm wrote: Put it this way, do you really want to work for a boss or company that would judge your LinkedIn profile photo? I would be happy to be passed over for a job if that was the case. Screen me out, thank you. I don't want some hiring manager go "o hey this one asian, he will work hard!" or "o this one looks like she could be trouble, too attractive". But at the point you're overthinking it.

As long as your profile photo is professional and appropriate, that's good enough. If it's a photo of sweaty you from Thursday night clubbing cropped from a group photo with your buddy's hand on your shoulder, yeah you're going to get judged hard.
I agree with you, but humans make the decisions and humans are biased and this goes beyond race. Something as trivial as a picture could help or hurt a candidate when it should have 0 impact unless the pic is unprofessional.

I think I have a great pic, btw.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13381 posts
9265 upvotes
FreshCo wrote: I'd find it odd if someone doesn't have a LinkedIn photo of themselves on their profile.
I didn't have one for a while. It shouldn't matter, but I get why people have them.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1967 posts
615 upvotes
DT Calgary
JayLove06 wrote: I didn't have one for a while. It shouldn't matter, but I get why people have them.
I'd say 99.9% of people that actually use LinkedIn have a photo of themselves.