• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2020 10:24 pm
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
354 posts
83 upvotes
Canada

What is your favorite charting system?

I've been using ThinkorSwim and am amazed at its complexity. Its been several weeks and I'm still discovering stuff every day. But it has many deficiencies - its obvious it was designed a long time ago. So I was wondering what you prefer over ToS. Its the only chart system I'm familiar with besides online ones like Yahoo and TradingView. I've tried TD's Advanced Dashboard, Interactive Brokers, Quotestream and TC2000. One problem is it takes so long to learn a chart system that its difficult to compare new ones until you've spent so much time in each one. I suppose you could guess initially using it.

Some seem to be integrated into a buying platform and others don't seem to be. I don't need the buying integration.
5 replies
Banned
May 11, 2020
18 posts
4 upvotes
MichaelZZZ wrote: I've been using ThinkorSwim and am amazed at its complexity. Its been several weeks and I'm still discovering stuff every day. But it has many deficiencies - its obvious it was designed a long time ago. So I was wondering what you prefer over ToS. Its the only chart system I'm familiar with besides online ones like Yahoo and TradingView. I've tried TD's Advanced Dashboard, Interactive Brokers, Quotestream and TC2000. One problem is it takes so long to learn a chart system that its difficult to compare new ones until you've spent so much time in each one. I suppose you could guess initially using it.

Some seem to be integrated into a buying platform and others don't seem to be. I don't need the buying integration.
How do you get Thinkorswim in Canada? I thought it wasn't availble.

I've been look for a more robust charting, data, news, options etc system too,
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
354 posts
83 upvotes
Canada
Just talk to TD. They're happy to oblige. Just for the US though. You need $5000 US on account otherwise its not real time.
TD'sAdvanced Dashboard for both countries costs $30 a month or free if you have more than $500,000 CAD. But most people prefer ToS. The platform of ToS is much older - we all hope they will one day update that relic. But its quite good and their customer service is really stellar. 877-348-6722 from 8-8 I think. You can download ToS here:
https://www.td.com/ca/products-services ... ed-tos.jsp
Its kind of skewed for options/futures but is good for stocks too. They're gradually coming around I guess. Probably because most of the options/futures people went broke! Exuberant youth with a few thousand eager to get rich quick not weighing the total costs of margin interest and leverage.
You can download the Interactive Brokers program as well as the TC2000 and Questrade to compare.
Nov 11, 2006
977 posts
459 upvotes
You need to pass the options test(s) to trade in option spreads or naked writing. It's a verbal test with the reps.

I like TOS too, but I hate the fact that CAD securities aren't included.

BMO has Market-Q (aka BMO Market Pro if you have $2M or BMO Market lite if you have $250K).

I'm switching most of my assets to a different brokerage, a brokerage not that common in the English speaking provinces. LOL.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
354 posts
83 upvotes
Canada
Is it possible for Canadians to trade with US brokerages? They seem to offer so much more. Right now I'm 100% in US equities.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5761 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
I have compared NinjaTrader (IB's choice). ToS (paper trade). IQweb and IQedge.

ToS is hands down the best. IQedge is workable but it feel like Canada compared to US (everyone trading will know what that means :p ) - it really does lack lot of stuff. For me, not able to move the chart freely (how you do it in pretty much any web based charting) is really sucky!

Ninjatrader is not bad , but you have to be with IB to use it. AFAIK you can't use it with any other broker.

I tried TradingView (paid version - highest). IT didn't had the timing right (at 1pm it showed me market closed). Most stocks were delayed! (that could've been a glitch). I jsut ask for refund and didn't want to mess with figuring it out.

In my search to do S&P Mini trading - I came across r-trader. If you want to know what archaic is ... that is it! I am not sure why you feel ToS is old (I am sure the base is) but fonts, colors, everything seems it has been updated. I don't want pretty, I want functional above all other options.

@michaelzzz you should create a poll. there is only handful of options. I think I listed most of them.
For Sale:
  • Powerful Constant Lights for Events / Photography