Home & Garden

What is your favorite strategy to layout(plan) and install tiles (in particular large ones, 12x24 or 24x24)?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2021 12:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
437 upvotes
East York, ON

What is your favorite strategy to layout(plan) and install tiles (in particular large ones, 12x24 or 24x24)?

This will be around a shower base.
I have seen videos showing how ppl start right on top of the shower pane with a full time and they leave the cuts for the top end of the wall
I have also seen videos showing how they use a story board with marks on it and they arrange the things in such a way that if the ceiling is level they will get a full tile there but they start from a horizontal line that is a tile or so above the shower base line

What are, in your opinion the advantages and disadvantages of each method?

BTW would you use a tile suction cup handle for 24x24 tiles ?
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4761 posts
2455 upvotes
Every post you make is the same. You spend hours on google and then post your question here asking for advice. You then spend the rest of your time refuting anyone’s responses to your question and end up doing what you had planned in the first place.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Aug 25, 2006
251 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
All depends on ceiling height. If your walls are in standard 2' increments (8', 10,' 12' etc) then you'll get almost full use out of the 24" x 24" tiles. Trimming from the top or bottom will be largely imperceptible on such a large format tile. Can anyone really tell the difference between a 24" by 24" tile vs a 24" x 23" tile (1" trimmed off for fitment) without a tape measure.... doubt it. I didn't use large format (i used 4" by 16" inch rectangular) for my shower but when I tiled it I had to trim both the top and bottom rows abit due to slight out of square with the room on both top and bottom rows. If you got weird ceiling height like 9' then I'd trim off the top personally and keep the bottom row full size as I think it looks nicer

24 x 24" tiles are heavy. You are talking about close to 30lbs per tile dry weight per tile. They are heavy enough on their own but once they are weighed down by back buttering with thin set they'll get so much heavier. Did my floor in 12 x 24" and tiles were awkward and heavy to work with on a floor. I bought suction handles but didn't end up using them. I'd imagine at at 24" by 24" and on a vertical wall application that suction cups would be important to have on hand.
Nov 23, 2011
804 posts
926 upvotes
West GTA
Red_Army wrote: Every post you make is the same. You spend hours on google and then post your question here asking for advice. You then spend the rest of your time refuting anyone’s responses to your question and end up doing what you had planned in the first place.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
437 upvotes
East York, ON
dbracer wrote: All depends on ceiling height. If your walls are in standard 2' increments (8', 10,' 12' etc) then you'll get almost full use out of the 24" x 24" tiles. Trimming from the top or bottom will be largely imperceptible on such a large format tile. Can anyone really tell the difference between a 24" by 24" tile vs a 24" x 23" tile (1" trimmed off for fitment) without a tape measure.... doubt it. I didn't use large format (i used 4" by 16" inch rectangular) for my shower but when I tiled it I had to trim both the top and bottom rows abit due to slight out of square with the room on both top and bottom rows. If you got weird ceiling height like 9' then I'd trim off the top personally and keep the bottom row full size as I think it looks nicer

24 x 24" tiles are heavy. You are talking about close to 30lbs per tile dry weight per tile. They are heavy enough on their own but once they are weighed down by back buttering with thin set they'll get so much heavier. Did my floor in 12 x 24" and tiles were awkward and heavy to work with on a floor. I bought suction handles but didn't end up using them. I'd imagine at at 24" by 24" and on a vertical wall application that suction cups would be important to have on hand.
Yes that is pretty much my thinking at the moment (saying this also to drive @Red_Army crazy :-))
I think I will need that suction mount in particular for walls, seems to be very useful
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
437 upvotes
East York, ON
Red_Army wrote: Every post you make is the same. You spend hours on google and then post your question here asking for advice. You then spend the rest of your time refuting anyone’s responses to your question and end up doing what you had planned in the first place.
That is called bouncing ideas
It is also good that most of the times I do my homework
The last thread before this one does not follow this pattern but I do appreciate that a high profile user like you pays attention to my threads
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2011
1288 posts
685 upvotes
GTA
If you have the money, get 1.2cm quartz panel or similar and go full height. No grout joints and fewer places to leak.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
437 upvotes
East York, ON
lamin wrote: If you have the money, get 1.2cm quartz panel or similar and go full height. No grout joints and fewer places to leak.
I can probably install one piece of that in my bathroom, maybe two ...the rest will have to be cut to match the layout of the room for the walls that I am tiling so no that is not an option even if I have the money.
I was really impressed when I saw one of those at M2 or in the other store on Lawrence east of Olimpia

Hmm I think you might be talking about something else
I am talking about those one big piece ceramic tiles (4'x8'?)
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2011
1288 posts
685 upvotes
GTA
Similar, those one at the tile shop are thinner. Home Depot use to sell the shower kits at one point special order. They were about 1/2” to 5/8 thick.

Pics would be more helpful.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2041 upvotes
Toronto
My favorite strategy is to have someoneelse do it.:)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
437 upvotes
East York, ON
gh05t wrote: My favorite strategy is to have someoneelse do it.:)
Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)