Food & Drink

What are your favorite things to keep in the freezer?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2021 12:29 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18360 posts
1315 upvotes
Elmira

What are your favorite things to keep in the freezer?

Yes I know it's vague but who cares.. What are some of your favorite, less thought of items that you keep in your freezer? Looking for some new ideas.

What reheats/defrosts really well?

For me a large portion is always dedicated to the Au Pain Dore or ACE demi-baguettes - haven't really bought fresh bread from a bakery in a long time thanks to these. Similarly the multigrain Costco rolls retoast very well, also

Jamaican Patties always seem to be in my freezer too. 519 Patty Wagon brand. Learned to start reheating these in the air fryer instead of a convection oven, really good results at 350F from frozen

When we buy the pink-label pack of chicken tenders from Costco, I most often will split them into individual bunches and add marinade to them, and then vac-seal them in a food saver bag in a single row. When it's time to fire up the barbecue you can rapid defrost them inside the vac bag just by floating them in a water bath. Then just poke skewers in them and take them straight to the grill for super fast kebabs in a hurry
a closed mind is already defeated
45 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
I buy club packs of meat and break them up into portions in sandwich bags & then pack those in a freezer bag. Makes it easy to pull a couple of pork chops or 1 lb of ground beef.

I bought a bunch of low, oblong 3 cup containers from Dollarama (ERAware) and they are the perfect size with headspace for one serving of soups, stews or noodle dishes and they microwave reheat quickly because of the shallow shape. I float them in a bowl of water for quick defrosting & less microwave time. If I am worried about freezer burn I lay a sheet of plastic wrap over & down on the food before sealing. I have seafood chowder & West African peanut stew in the freezer now.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6597 posts
6074 upvotes
I tend to cook most meals from scratch and generally make extra, which I then label and freeze.

I freeze pretty much everything - milk, nuts, bread, herbs, fruit, homemade stock, all types of cheese, unused tomato sauce/paste, homemade pancake/waffle batter, cooked bacon, baked beans...better question to ask me is what I don't freeze Face With Tears Of Joy, which is just certain fruit and veggies.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
I like sauces made with wine but I do not like to drink wine. Most recipes call for 1/2 cup so I will buy a 250ml can and freeze half for later.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
672 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I cook from scratch now 95% of the time. But for when I'm lazy, my favourite is Jamie Oliver's British bolognese. I make a big batch and freeze in individual portions. All you have to do is cook the pasta.

As noted by another poster, I also have my homemade bread, stock, pizza and spaghetti sauce, mustard cream sauce for schnitzel, bits of cheese rind to add flavour to whatever, a bit of leftover canned corn to add to Mexican beef and beans, some shrimp for shrimp scampi (another great dish when you are lazy, you can make this in 10 minutes) and stir frys

My husband keeps a couple of M&M's frozen dinners in there but I don't like their food anymore so I don't eat it.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1493 posts
1023 upvotes
Ripley
Beef. We get a side of beef every 18 months or so. Lots of variety in cuts. Pork - I buy the big boneless half loins and cut them up into pork chops or roasts. I used to always keep chicken breasts in there but now it's only if I find them on sale. Turkeys when they are super cheap.

Frozen vegetables. I roast them in the oven or add them to other dishes. Broccoli, carrots, mixed vegetables, 3 pepper/onion, etc.

Ice cream......
Jan 21, 2019
241 posts
205 upvotes
Any tips on re-portioning frozen meals? For example, cutting a still frozen sherpherd's pie into 4. I'm trying to save my Dad some $ on rip-off individual portioned frozen meals. A hot knife, hammer/chisel, or food safe hack saw + elbow grease be the best bet?

Any recommendations on quality frozen meals aside from supermarkets? M&M's quality is really hit and miss. I'm in Winnipeg.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6597 posts
6074 upvotes
adamthemute wrote: Any tips on re-portioning frozen meals? For example, cutting a still frozen sherpherd's pie into 4. I'm trying to save my Dad some $ on rip-off individual portioned frozen meals. A hot knife, hammer/chisel, or food safe hack saw + elbow grease be the best bet?

Any recommendations on quality frozen meals aside from supermarkets? M&M's quality is really hit and miss. I'm in Winnipeg.
What I would recommend instead is to buy a fresh pie cut it up into individual servings and freeze that. I do this with beef pot pie (one thing I don't make from scratch as I don't like making pastries) .
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
672 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
adamthemute wrote: Any tips on re-portioning frozen meals? For example, cutting a still frozen sherpherd's pie into 4. I'm trying to save my Dad some $ on rip-off individual portioned frozen meals. A hot knife, hammer/chisel, or food safe hack saw + elbow grease be the best bet?

Put it in the microwave just enough to soften so you can cut it. Then just re-freeze everything. I do this all the time and have never had any issues.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29051 posts
14592 upvotes

Costco has a few fresh meals that can easily be portioned. They're kind of okay at best taste wise though.
If you're hacking up frozen meals, it'd damn near be easier (and tastier and cheaper) just to meal prep something.
Shepard's Pie for example using instant potatoes (while blasphemous to me would be on par with frozen) would take you 10 minutes to make a giant batch.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7618 posts
2810 upvotes
Herbs. When I buy a clamshell package I put it in the freezer after I use some fresh. No water, no oil, just whatever herb is left in the clamshell.

Works beautifully. Parsley I grind up and put in a ziplock. It freezes so well it can even be used in tabbouleh if no fresh on hand.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
bonterra wrote: Herbs. When I buy a clamshell package I put it in the freezer after I use some fresh. No water, no oil, just whatever herb is left in the clamshell.

Works beautifully. Parsley I grind up and put in a ziplock. It freezes so well it can even be used in tabbouleh if no fresh on hand.
When I buy curry leaves I put them straight in the freezer. Never thought to freeze-dry other stuff. What do you do about cilantro, have you tried freezing it? I find it turns into a rotten mess pretty quickly if you leave it in the fridge.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7726 posts
5705 upvotes
Toronto
Ice.
I find if I leave it on the counter, or even in the fridge, it tends to melt.
/s
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7618 posts
2810 upvotes
lecale wrote: When I buy curry leaves I put them straight in the freezer. Never thought to freeze-dry other stuff. What do you do about cilantro, have you tried freezing it? I find it turns into a rotten mess pretty quickly if you leave it in the fridge.

Cilantro does not freeze well. It goes all mushy and has no taste. I can't grow it either. It bolts and tastes horrid. Like burnt rubber.

I'm always buying fresh cilantro.
Dec 8, 2015
401 posts
223 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
lecale wrote: When I buy curry leaves I put them straight in the freezer. Never thought to freeze-dry other stuff. What do you do about cilantro, have you tried freezing it? I find it turns into a rotten mess pretty quickly if you leave it in the fridge.
Wow, didn't think herbs would freeze well, gonna do this from now on, thanks.
Last edited by jemjem9 on Aug 28th, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
bonterra wrote: Cilantro does not freeze well. It goes all mushy and has no taste. I can't grow it either. It bolts and tastes horrid. Like burnt rubber.

I think the trick is to sow it late summer for fall. It is actually frost-resistant when it is growing. I have shaken snow off of it to pick it & it was fine. I do not know why it does so incredibly badly under refrigeration. The moisture must get it.
Sep 8, 2002
378 posts
39 upvotes
Vancouver
bonterra wrote: Cilantro does not freeze well. It goes all mushy and has no taste. I can't grow it either. It bolts and tastes horrid. Like burnt rubber.

you can stand cilantro (and most herbs) in a glass of water, it will keep for a good few days. even better if you put a plastic bag over it.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22855 posts
21709 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
PRESERVING HERBS

Different Herbs = Different BEST Methods

All in ways you can preserve herbs are :

* Drying
* Freezing as is
* Freezing in Oil
* Freezing in Water

A lot depends on the delicacy of the leaf
As well as how you intend to use them later

Cilantro (like Parsley ) can actually be done any of the 4 ways
But results will differ
Again depends on your intended use / recipe

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/freezing-cilantro/

CC = @bonterra - @lecale - @shikotee - @jemjem9 - @yatyat
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2242 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Ice cream and frozen vegs and fruit. I need to stock up on meat but sales haven’t been good lately.

I think if you bought an ice cream maker there would be a lot of room left for other stuff.

Unlike Nancy palosi, I think a well honest cook or chef probably makes their own ice cream instead of buying. I imagine a dude like Gordon Ramsay using expensive ingredients to make his family kick ass ice cream or gelato. The dude is a beast in the kitchen, I hear.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26037 posts
10720 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Whatever is on sale.
Buy extra, portion if necessary then freeze it.

Currently have lots of ground beef, rib eye steaks, striploin ($5/lb at the beginning of spring), some TV dinners, Parlour ice cream at $2/package, lots of chicken wings, and at the moment 3 packages of Costco giant chocolate chip muffins.

And a bunch more like meat pies, sausage rounds (Costco sale), breakfast sausages and so froth.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)