Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3611 posts
1482 upvotes
, ON

What is your go to furniture store (s)?

Where do you shop for your furnitures?

Please share your experience.

I personally don't like IKEA products as based on my experience they don't last.
33 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3489 posts
1231 upvotes
Ottawa
Ikea is fine as long as it doesn't have to be moved.

I like Kijiji. Probably half our furniture is second-hand, you can get quality wood or leather furniture for a good price.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5894 posts
2541 upvotes
Winnipeg
OttawaGardener wrote: Ikea is fine as long as it doesn't have to be moved.

I like Kijiji. Probably half our furniture is second-hand, you can get quality wood or leather furniture for a good price.
Kijji is also a great way to get bed bugs too...
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2461 posts
1996 upvotes
GTA West
anotherbargainhunter wrote: Where do you shop for your furnitures?

Please share your experience.

I personally don't like IKEA products as based on my experience they don't last.
Well, we bought a couple of items from Costco although their selection in the store is very limited. I wish they had a central showroom in GTA to display their online products, so that you can touch and feel. I am usually afraid to buy online from them since I don't know how I would return large pieces. We did buy a leather bed & mattress online from Costco since the Bay was stocking the same manufacturer and we could see the colour in the store. Costco was much better than the Bay's sale price for a comparable item.

I like to go to smaller stores where you can negotiate a discount directly with the owner. For example, we bought custom Leathercraft couches which are made in GTA, and the mfr has a showroom here. After looking at high prices in a couple of retail outlets, I found a lady willing to sell with a very small margin. She was happy to place a special order for us. I paid $3,900 for a set sold at $5,499 elsewhere.
Mar 17, 2010
205 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
Structube and Ikea..but recently I've been browsing wayfair a lot and they seem to have good selection.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2284 posts
1619 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Anyone tried those mennonite stores?
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2572 posts
144 upvotes
i use chesterfield shop for all my seating requirements.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3471 posts
917 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
I think it's incorrect to say "IKEA stuff doesn't last". IKEA has many different levels of quality in it's products. usually this can be deduced directly from the price which is a good thing. Their "good" stuff will last a lifetime and more for still a great price. Their crappy stuff will break.

We've bought a lot of the good stuff from ikea and love it. We've also bought solid hardwood from a furniture store that is 5x the cost and absolutely beautiful. But we have more of the ikea stuff. In fact i guess that is my personal opinion on furniture stores. either get ikea or go to someplace that makes custom hardwood furniture. Here in ontario it's mennonite furniture stores.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2394 posts
1646 upvotes
anotherbargainhunter wrote: I don't think IKEA and "top quality" go hand on hand....
This is not true. You really need to open your wallet if you want a solid wood table VS MDF from IKEA. People don't realize this as they focus more on the stylish pieces which are usually made out of MDF. If you want modern but top notch quality stuff, there's EQ3 , Casa Life, etc. You really need to spend.

Just to answer OPs question: I bought from Structube ,Casa Life and Wayfair.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10367 posts
1719 upvotes
Biscayne05 wrote: This is not true. You really need to open your wallet if you want a solid wood table VS MDF from IKEA. People don't realize this as they focus more on the stylish pieces which are usually made out of MDF. If you want modern but top notch quality stuff, there's EQ3 , Casa Life, etc. You really need to spend.

Just to answer OPs question: I bought from Structube ,Casa Life and Wayfair.
Yeah Ikea also has solid wood items too. One just has to look real carefully. Prices also reflect that as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
3481 posts
8483 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
We got the following:
TV Stand: Costco
Bed frame: Costco
Dining Tables: CB2
Coffee Table: Ikea
Dining Chairs: West Elm
Palliser recliner: Sears
Shag Rug: Costco
Side Table; The Bay
May 12, 2003
371 posts
245 upvotes
GTA
Picking a furniture store depends on your own personal taste, budget, quality you're looking for etc.

Costco has some nice stuff, but as someone mentioned,very limited in selection and everything is premade.
Ikea is great for smaller stuff, but again you cannot completely customize.

We buy some of stuff from Zilli/Decorrest. You can customize and lifetime warranty. Albeit more expensive, but the quality is 2nd to none.

Do your research. and really depends on what budget level and style you're looking for.
Jul 11, 2017
784 posts
934 upvotes
Ashley home store for living room furniture. We found it to be cheaper than wayfarer. For Mennonite furniture I recommend a place in Belleville called Ruttle Brothers Furniture!
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2588 posts
507 upvotes
Manitoba
We moved from Toronto to.Winnipeg and bought all our furniture from Ikea. Ikea has cheap stuff too but they also have bit better stuff. Just have a look
Bed - Malm with Lonet slat base
Chest- Malm
Couch and Chaise- Vimle
https://m.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/spr/79207012/
Aemchair and cushio - Poang
Bunk Bed- Norddal
Three mattresses - One spring ( Hagsvar) and 2 Foam( Morgedal and Meistervik)
One TV table - Brusali
All this with picking and delivery for approx 3000 Dollars
Have a look.at the specific items . I think its best bang for the buck ( price vs quality). Just don't buy their cheapest item.