Toronto

What are your go to places to buy tea?

Sites, stores etc.

I've recently stumbled upon sites like
https://darjeelingtealovers.com
https://www.vahdam.com/collections/second-flush
https://www.mandalatea.com/black-tea
https://www.teabox.com

With so many sites and not having a clue of what's what or even knowing about any sales, it becomes quite overwhelming. Albeit I do enjoy 500g of Ahmad tea from the grocery store, I was wondering what a higher quality tea would taste like
Last edited by dealo'day on Jul 31st, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19616 posts
6555 upvotes
Toronto
David's tea will be a good choice once they finally decide which stores are staying and which ones are officially gone. (hopefully one or two still in Toronto)

The shops at Aura (In Toronto, Ontario) has a hidden gem selling loose tea by the tin (the same way David's tea does) or in pre packaged bags. Down the escalator, (basement) to the left, but I forget the name of the place.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21607 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Over the years I think I have drank it all
Including loose tea & bagged
Nowadays, I prefer bagged, just for the convenience
Doesn’t mean tho, that one can’t find a good cuppa

1- Day to day tea ...
Tetley (300 Bags)
Costco ... ranges from $ 7.99 on sale in Warehouse
Up to $ 12.99 not on sale via Costco.ca
At $ 7.99 one of the lowest per unit prices you’ll find anywhere for Tetley ($ 0.0266 per bag)

2- A little fancier
Twinnings ... various sources
Various flavours, and packaging options
What’s available can vary by store
Can be bought in small pkgs or large
Costco often has large ones in Earl Grey

Bigelow (20 Bags)
USA = Christmas Tree Store & That!
Ranges from $ 1.99 on sale ..
Up to $ 3.00 when not
I always stock up when it’s on sale
Bigelow makes lots of flavours
And the small pkgs @ good prices means I can have variety inexpensively
One of the things I am gonna miss Food wise with the US Border CLOSED

3- The ultimate ... special occasions, or a gift for a true tea lover
Tea Forte
Pyramid shaped tea bag infusers
FAR from cheap
$ 1 to $ 2 per bag
Available online at TeaForte.com
And some other websites (Chapters / Indigo used to carry it )
Also in some fancier tea shops or Gift Stores
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2572 posts
3659 upvotes
Learn how to make masala chai. Takes some experimenting to find the right combo of spices. Once I found the right mix, I can't go back to drinking anything from a bag or box.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8330 posts
4048 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
RCSS int'l food section. Selection and variety depends on the East Indian population. My local only has 1-2 varieties of loose leaf. Counted over 20 in the Scott Rd (Surrey BC) branch.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5992 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
3- The ultimate ... special occasions, or a gift for a true tea lover
Tea Forte
Pyramid shaped tea bag infusers
FAR from cheap
$ 1 to $ 2 per bag
Available online at TeaForte.com
And some other websites (Chapters / Indigo used to carry it )
Also in some fancier tea shops or Gift Stores
I'm gonna give that one a try. I used to splurge $10-12 on a box on Mighty Leaf tea 5-10 years ago. Then I noticed their blends lost consistency and then became plain bad. Apparently another company took them over. Now I don't see them distributed at all locally.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Oct 22, 2007
695 posts
871 upvotes
The grocery store Yummy Market has an insane selection - they pretty much have an entire aisle just with tea.

Dufferin and Major Mack in Vaughan.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19616 posts
6555 upvotes
Toronto
The__Rock wrote: The grocery store Yummy Market has an insane selection - they pretty much have an entire aisle just with tea.

Dufferin and Major Mack in Vaughan.
Both locations? Or just the one? https://yummymarket.com/our-stores/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2622 posts
1339 upvotes
Toronto
6060842 wrote: Free with orders over $50. Standard Canada Post rates for orders less than that.

I see you've stumbled upon some Indian sites selling Darjeeling tea. It's one of my fav types of tea. It is also the most widely counterfeited type so you need to be able to trust your vendor to give you what you pay for. CS doesn't have a huge selection of this particular type but they do have a great overall selection and quality at a wide range of prices.

Since you are from T.O. I would also recommend https://www.taotealeaf.com/tea/ . They deal in Chinese teas almost exclusively and you can ( or could pre-covid ) go in and try a pot of any of their teas brewed in store.

N.B. While there's nothing wrong with enjoying some cheap bagged teas , if you are looking to try some quality teas don't be fooled by fancy packaging or oddly shaped bags. The packaging and bags cost more than the tea that goes into them.
I've been only buying ahmad which probably can be found in most grocery stores. It looks like this Image
For 450g, for 8-9 bucks, it's quite nice. But I do wonder if higher end teas would be better. Albeit I'm starting to get second thoughts and now I'm wondering if this is going to be the same case as is with wine where most people have no clue if the wine would be considered any good without looking at the price and label.

Nevertheless, thanks for the help, I'll certainly take your tip on Darjeeling tea and be on the look out for taotealeaf and camellia. Thanks again
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8330 posts
4048 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
You're lucky you can get Ahmed. RCSS out west only had the tea in cardamon flavour (very nice on the very first cup but it seems one lost/got used to the taste for cardamon pretty quickly) and I can't find any these days.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2622 posts
1339 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote: You're lucky you can get Ahmed. RCSS out west only had the tea in cardamon flavour (very nice on the very first cup but it seems one lost/got used to the taste for cardamon pretty quickly) and I can't find any these days.
I've tried it and I found it to be awfully faint. The scent was there when wafting but it's barely noticeable in the tea. Now the prices are nuts on amazon but before the pandemic, Ahamad non speciality tea could be found on the site for around 9 dollars too. Just be sure to set up a notice on camelx3. Looking now, the loose leaf cardamom one was actually for 3 dollars for many months.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13762 posts
3123 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Believe it or not Hyland Farms has a pretty good tea aisle both domestic and international. Not too shabby, good prices. The location at kennedy/ellesmere has an entire aisle just on teas & coffee brands.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8330 posts
4048 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
6060842 wrote: You could just use any black tea , add cardamom pods & steep. Most flavoured teas ( including the Ahmad brand) use artificial flavourings.
Thanks. I will have to go buy caradamon. Not available at my RCSS here and I'd say at least 40-60% of the pods contain undeveloped seeds. Need to grow my own.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4462 posts
26415 upvotes
We only buy from pluck tea and never going back, their product seems far superior to anything we have ever tried. I reserve my Davidstea to make iced tea in their infused pitcher.
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Oct 22, 2007
695 posts
871 upvotes
When I was in Disneyworld last year, at the Twinings store in Epcot they were sampling cold brew teas. They were $5 a box. I bought 3 boxes and went through them pretty quick. Last year I bought like 20 boxes from iherb.ca which will last me a good amount of time. They are amazing.

https://ca.iherb.com/pr/Twinings-Cold-B ... 40-g/43214
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19616 posts
6555 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote: Winners.
Winners? Okay, don't for get sister store Marshall's. Their tea selection is not often the same week to week though. Pure luck of what comes in. Different brands all the time.