• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2019 2:00 pm
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
702 posts
185 upvotes
Leask

What is your lawn watering pattern?

Basically, I water my lawn for around 10 min only after two days of no rain.

Bought the orbit smart sprinkler controller but haven’t got around to install it yet.

What is your watering frequency and duration?
26 replies
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1698 posts
889 upvotes
However the clouds and winds bring it.

Fresh water is a scarce resource.

Think twice before using it to make your grass look green.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1183 upvotes
bizzyseller wrote: However the clouds and winds bring it.

With you on this one . I cut the grass high about 5 weeks ago . There are yellow spots here and there . But I won`t waste water on grass . It will go back to full green when it rains .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
May 15, 2010
288 posts
224 upvotes
Ajax
In the summer 20 mins everyday at 6am, even when it rains Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

In the fall it’s every other day
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1625 posts
1782 upvotes
West GTA

Is fresh water a scarce resource everywhere though? I mean, I live next to one of the largest bodies of freshwater in the world, currently sitting near record highs. I get not using water sustainably (like if you're pumping it out of the ground, or all piling into a river, or live in a more arid climate), but there's plenty of freshwater in many places in Canada and it's showing no signs of going down. I guess treating it uses chemicals and energy, but the actual resource itself is basically unlimited where I live, so long as we don't start building pipes and transporting huge amounts far away to the desert.
Apr 8, 2010
786 posts
434 upvotes
toronto

so you never water your grass/ garden ever?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9800 posts
3353 upvotes
Stopped watering ages ago. I have some good sprinklers for sale if anyone is interested lol

A well maintained lawn won't need watering. Keep your lawn at a good length, mow at the 2nd highest level, fertilize in the spring and fall.

My neighbor is freaking out at the moment, their lawn is yellow, they were able to get away with mowing short in May and June.... can't do that this time of year. Grass literally looks burnt. This is especially true if your lawn isn't healthy to begin with.
The leader of the past may have been a person who knew how to tell, but certainly, the leader of the future will be a person who knows how to ask. -Peter Drucker
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1108 posts
979 upvotes
ON
Have never watered my grass or shrubs and they come out fine year after year. But then I’m not paranoid enough to yearn for a “lush green lawn”. A neat decent weedless lawn is good enough for me.

The only time I water is when I’m planting something fresh and that too for a week or two and then they are on their own Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1130 posts
633 upvotes
Manitoba
My water only goes to the garden for some fresh veggies. :twisted:
Dec 4, 2009
351 posts
223 upvotes
Watering much less now, the last few years of top dressing the lawn to enhance water retention has payed off. Now I only water if temps are over 30 and no rain for a week. Rain barrel has been helpful to keep a few trees hydrated, it’s made a difference...
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3443 posts
2425 upvotes
Toronto
You're not wasting water when you water your lawn - it all ends up back in the lake / evaporates into the air etc. It's a closed system. You can't waste water - can't get rid of it, and can't make any more.

However, you are diverting water from other uses and in areas with little water available, that's a problem. Watering your lawn when there is barely enough water to drink or provide other critical services is a problem.

You are wasting energy - the energy required to pump that water out of the lake, treat it, pump it to your home, maintain the infrastructure to do that, and then handle/treat the used water as it makes its way back to the lake through storm sewers etc.

Long story short, quit watering your lawns, plant things that can survive on their own and put more trees in the ground. All these groomed patches of manicured lawns are an incredible waste of resources in general.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
702 posts
185 upvotes
Leask
torontotim wrote: You're not wasting water when you water your lawn - it all ends up back in the lake / evaporates into the air etc. It's a closed system. You can't waste water - can't get rid of it, and can't make any more.

However, you are diverting water from other uses and in areas with little water available, that's a problem. Watering your lawn when there is barely enough water to drink or provide other critical services is a problem.

You are wasting energy - the energy required to pump that water out of the lake, treat it, pump it to your home, maintain the infrastructure to do that, and then handle/treat the used water as it makes its way back to the lake through storm sewers etc.

Long story short, quit watering your lawns, plant things that can survive on their own and put more trees in the ground. All these groomed patches of manicured lawns are an incredible waste of resources in general.
Yup! I wish I don’t have a lawn but bought the house like this. I ain’t putting in rocks when there is a perfectly good lawn ready for me.

But if I had to do it again, it will be fake grass or rocks
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12050 posts
2383 upvotes
Toronto
torontotim wrote: You're not wasting water when you water your lawn - it all ends up back in the lake / evaporates into the air etc. It's a closed system. You can't waste water - can't get rid of it, and can't make any more.

Tell that to the south Africans. Or anywhere where there's a water shortage.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12050 posts
2383 upvotes
Toronto
deep wrote: Saving water here doesn't make water appear there.
If everybody were to drive 60s era, no emissions gas guzzlers, there would be far more smog. But nope. Thee few can do it because others don't. Just like watering the lawn. If EVERYBODY did it, you'd have far more water shortages. So go enjoy and be proud of your beautiful, lush lawn.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5706 posts
3502 upvotes
THINKPOD wrote: Basically, I water my lawn for around 10 min only after two days of no rain.

Bought the orbit smart sprinkler controller but haven’t got around to install it yet.

What is your watering frequency and duration?
Frequent short watering is bad for the grass as it will encourage shallow roots. This will in turn require more frequent watering to keep it green. It’s a viscous cycle.

You ideally want infrequent watering but really give it a soak when you do so the earth is soaked deep in the ground. This will encourage deep roots. Most times nature will give you all you need, and will encourage this deep root growth. And this grass will stay green longer, naturally.
Jun 11, 2019
123 posts
15 upvotes
pfbmgd wrote: With you on this one . I cut the grass high about 5 weeks ago . There are yellow spots here and there . But I won`t waste water on grass . It will go back to full green when it rains .
I noticed this too. I hadn't use my sprinkler for at least a 3 year period after it was damaged by contractors, but that actually saved me water.
I'm thiknkng of naturalizing my garden so I will never have to water it. The native plants should be self sufficient in any climate.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
702 posts
185 upvotes
Leask
fdl wrote: Frequent short watering is bad for the grass as it will encourage shallow roots. This will in turn require more frequent watering to keep it green. It’s a viscous cycle.

You ideally want infrequent watering but really give it a soak when you do so the earth is soaked deep in the ground. This will encourage deep roots. Most times nature will give you all you need, and will encourage this deep root growth. And this grass will stay green longer, naturally.
Oh, that's a good point! thx
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11654 posts
513 upvotes
deep wrote: Saving water here doesn't make water appear there.
Not wasting a resource is an intrinsic good, isn’t it? We are not out of control pigs that consume whatever is not fenced off, I hope.