Credit Cards

What are your long-term keeper cards?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2021 2:23 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: What are your long-term keeper cards?

• Total votes: 200. You have voted on this poll.
American Express Cobalt

22%
Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite

3%
HSBC World Elite Mastercard

15%
Marriott Bonvoy American Express

11%
Triangle World Elite Mastercard

38%
NBC World Elite Mastercard

3%
Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite

10%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2016
3108 posts
5346 upvotes
Toronto

What are your long-term keeper cards?

Personally
I have
1. HSBC World Elite Mastercard for no FX and I have mortgage with them, so I got the Premier which makes this card free.
2. Marriott Bonvoy American Express for the annual free night and at least keep one card opened with AMEX beside churning.

Planning to add NBC World Elite Mastercard as it seems like it's good for insurnace while on an award flight and you can get your annual fee back with a few travel plans per year.

Please share your thoughts on your long-term keeper card.
50 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
6574 posts
5289 upvotes
Amex Cobalt - 5X
Scotiabank Gold Amex - 5X, No FX
Scotia Momentum VISA Infinite - 4%
Amex Bonvoy - free night
MBNA RWE - uncapped 2% on everything
Amex Cobalt - MBNA RWE - Brim WE
Amex Platinum - Bonvoy Brilliant Amex - CIBC Aeroplan VIP
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15824 posts
21569 upvotes
Vancouver
EdisonL299 wrote: Amex Cobalt - 5X
Scotiabank Gold Amex - 5X, No FX
Scotia Momentum VISA Infinite - 4%
Amex Bonvoy - free night
MBNA RWE - uncapped 2% on everything
That's $600 in annual fees...wow. Your spending must be very high in all categories to make that worthwhile.
I only have one keeper card with an annual fee that I pay:
Meridian Cash Back Visa Infinite. 4% groceries/gas, 2% pharmacy/TV/phone/utility. $99/year.

Free cards I keep:

Rogers WE
CTFS WE
Tangerine World
Capital One Costco
Amex Simply Cash. My oldest trade line opened in 1999
Brim
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
6574 posts
5289 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: That's $600 in annual fees...wow. Your spending must be very high in all categories to make that worthwhile.
Meridian Cash Back Visa Infinite. 4% groceries/gas, 2% pharmacy/TV/phone/utility. $99/year.

Free cards I keep:

Rogers WE
CTFS WE
Tangerine World
Capital One Costco
Brim
It’s worth it for me because I have enough purchases categorized as dining, groceries or recurring bills. My everything else spending is over 24K so MBNA RWE is better.

Amex offers can offset most of the AF, so technically the Amex Cobalt, Amex Bonvoy and Scotiabank Gold Amex are almost free.

I bank with Scotia and the Momentum VISA Infinite is free.
Amex Cobalt - MBNA RWE - Brim WE
Amex Platinum - Bonvoy Brilliant Amex - CIBC Aeroplan VIP
Feb 28, 2014
971 posts
1153 upvotes
Planned long term keeper cards: Triangle WE MC, Rogers WE MC & AMEX SimplyCash. We spend quite a bit on the Rogers WE MC, the Triangle WE MC still doesn't have a stated minimum spend yet, so we'll see if that changes through the year.

Currently contemplating switching out the Scotiabank Gold Amex to a Momentum VI as our spend patterns have changed, the Scotiabank MVI might be a long term keeper card if I go through with the change.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13433 posts
8800 upvotes
Markham
deltatux wrote: Planned long term keeper cards: Triangle WE MC, Rogers WE MC & AMEX SimplyCash. We spend quite a bit on the Rogers WE MC, the Triangle WE MC still doesn't have a stated minimum spend yet, so we'll see if that changes through the year.

Currently contemplating switching out the Scotiabank Gold Amex to a Momentum VI as our spend patterns have changed, the Scotiabank MVI might be a long term keeper card if I go through with the change.
Amex earns scotiabank point and momentum is cash back, make sure you use your point before switch
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1900 posts
2266 upvotes
With the change in the credit card market in Canada, I'm not actually quite sure what my long term collection will be. I suspect it'll end up being the Scotiabank Amex Gold and the Brim no AF card unless my spending habits/patterns change.
Banking: Alterna Bank (2.5%)
Investing: Qtrade Direct Investing
Spending: Scotia Amex Gold (6 pts/Sobeys, 5 pts/dining, 1 pts/rest), Scene Visa (1 pts)
Mobile: Eastlink 10GB Rollover ($45/mth)
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14070 upvotes
Going to the Moon
rhw123 wrote: We already have a thread for this: credit-card-combos-thread-2263322/
This.

What our long-term keeper cards could be today could change tomorrow.

1. in 2018-2019, my lead cards were TD CT with a PS merry-go-round for CBI and FCT, got banned in 2020
  2. in 2020, my lead cards were AmEx Cobalt and CTFS Down-pointing Red Triangle WE with the Cash Advantage for MS & BP (basically drawered), then TD Cash VISA Regional Indicator Symbol Letters Um for non-AmEx Resto, and Cap1 Quicksilver Regional Indicator Symbol Letters Um for forex stuff that requires 3Ds
  3. End 2020 (or 2021 I guess) lead card is CDC VISA Plat [Icey White]. 5% everything with a handful of exclusions and no 3Ds. A one-card-solution for where it works and cashback not excluded. I still have Cobalt and CTFS, those will cover exclusions and will likely be dedicated to MS
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Nov 3, 2018
472 posts
776 upvotes
Anything with no annual fee is a possible contender in my book
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1557 posts
767 upvotes
Toronto, ON, CA
Loving AmEx Cobalt, especially since it has the global transfer feature since I'm trying to go overseas at some point for some time.
Feb 28, 2014
971 posts
1153 upvotes
smartie wrote: Amex earns scotiabank point and momentum is cash back, make sure you use your point before switch
Oh that I know, the plan is to spend all the points before switching. This is the only reason why I haven't finalize the switch yet.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9456 posts
10731 upvotes
The Prairies
No such thing for me, especially since cards are getting axed every day, so you basically can’t count on anything being a forever card.
Unless of course you don’t care about maximizing your rewards, and just use 1% cards for everything.
Having said that, I voted CTWE, because of the RSA and I’m a CT family store shopper, so I suppose I’ll have that long term.
But I do see them downgrading me when the 15k requirement come into affect, as I don’t reach that spend on this card.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13433 posts
8800 upvotes
Markham
coolintheshade wrote: No such thing for me, especially since cards are getting axed every day, so you basically can’t count on anything being a forever card.
Unless of course you don’t care about maximizing your rewards, and just use 1% cards for everything.
Having said that, I voted CTWE, because of the RSA and I’m a CT family store shopper, so I suppose I’ll have that long term.
But I do see them downgrading me when the 15k requirement come into affect, as I don’t reach that spend on this card.
In RFD, long term = 1 year
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
20493 posts
5853 upvotes
Scarberia
cdn tire WE is the ovious top choice! no brainer for the free roadside and bill payments ..my other keeper would be the tangerine world cb card 2% cb on 3 catagories with no AF
also another keeper card might be the scotiabank gold amex (5x on groceries and gas is prolly the BEST rates u can get)if u got the 5k ultimate checking account ..no annual fees but u lose 5k collecting interest
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2017
1153 posts
1362 upvotes
Kitchener
Kiraly wrote: That's $600 in annual fees...wow. Your spending must be very high in all categories to make that worthwhile.

Free cards I keep:

Rogers WE
CTFS WE
Tangerine World
Capital One Costco
Brim
$600 is a lot?
heh the last couple years i've paid at least $3000 a year in annual fees. All worth it. Though yea plenty aren't keeper cards.

But I do have 6 Marriott cards contributing quite a bit to that, which are keeper cards. And yea zero spend on them still worth it because each gives a FNA worth more than there annual fee. (free night award) And since travel has sucked the last 1.5 years.. Marriott has been super cool about extending them, they just announced there doing yet another round of extensions to jan 2022, so yea cant even remember how old some of mine are now and still valid. Got 8 active atm.

Amex platinum US is an easy one with a huge fee that I never planned on keeping, but yea they offer so many credits and this year waived the fee so yea it made sense.

Outside of amex, yea paying huge annual fee's long term often makes no sense. So aside from many amex, I think my only keeper card with a fee is Chase sapphire preferred. Upgrading to the reserve someday when travel is cool again still on the table too.

And in canada, yea no one really can compete with amex/chase so little point thinking about keeper cards here aside from amex. Aside from the one obvious CTFS due to it's very unique no fee + premium roadside. Don't think we have any other no fee cards worth talking about (crypto, but it's also not exactly free for the good versions due to investment requirement) I have a handful i guess i keep for specific shops, but nothing too exciting (scene for cineplex if it ever reopens, PC for SDM or rarely PC, less interesting now its nerfed to 2%)

So yea i dunno my exact $ total but i'm keeping my 6 marriott , cobalt, and probably at least one platinum for amex, and the CSP. Somewhere north of $1500 .

Easier now i can not care about category cards at 2-3% thx to the crypto.com visa. Here is my spend matrix:

Was a fair bit more complex before the crypto jade visa.
Last edited by Eleventeen on May 1st, 2021 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15824 posts
21569 upvotes
Vancouver
Eleventeen wrote: $600 is a lot?
heh the last couple years i've paid at least $3000 a year in annual fees. All worth it. Though yea plenty aren't keeper cards.
The thread is about keeper cards. Not churn and burn cards that you never pay an annual fee on past the first year.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2687 posts
4385 upvotes
BC
Perhaps we need a new thread "Post your spend matrix", lol.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
20493 posts
5853 upvotes
Scarberia
Eleventeen wrote: $600 is a lot?

But I do have 6 Marriott cards contributing quite a bit to that, which are keeper cards. And yea zero spend on them still worth it because each gives a FNA worth more than there annual fee. (free night award) And since travel has sucked the last 1.5 years.. Marriott has been super cool about extending them, they just announced there doing yet another round of extensions to jan 2022, so yea cant even remember how old some of mine are now and still valid. Got 8 active atm.

Amex platinum US is an easy one with a huge fee that I never planned on keeping, but yea they offer so many credits and this year waived the fee so yea it made sense.

Outside of amex, yea paying huge annual fee's long term often makes no sense. So aside from many amex, I think my only keeper card with a fee is Chase sapphire preferred. Upgrading to the reserve someday when travel is cool again still on the table too.

And in canada, yea no one really can compete with amex/chase so little point thinking about keeper cards here aside from amex. Aside from the one obvious CTFS due to it's very unique no fee + premium roadside. Don't think we have any other no fee cards worth talking about (crypto, but it's also not exactly free for the good versions due to investment requirement) I have a handful i guess i keep for specific shops, but nothing too exciting (scene for cineplex if it ever reopens, PC for SDM or rarely PC, less interesting now its nerfed to 2%)

So yea i dunno my exact $ total but i'm keeping my 6 marriott , cobalt, and probably at least one platinum for amex, and the CSP. Somewhere north of $1500 .

Easier now i can not care about category cards at 2-3% thx to the crypto.com visa. Here is my spend matrix:

Was a fair bit more complex before the crypto jade visa.
u richAF? how much u make if u don't mind? im thinking 200k?
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
May 7, 2017
1233 posts
751 upvotes
Is Marriott Bonvoy that much of a low earner compared to Cobalt? I'd have expected more people to vote for that given that it comes with Marriott benefits and free night.