Students

What are your plans during the York strike?

[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2768 posts
2169 upvotes
GTA

What are your plans during the York strike?

With the news that the final bargaining offer was rejected and York's unwillingness to negotiate over the weekend, CUPE 3903 will oficially be on strike over the weekend.

What do you plan to do during the strike? Catch up on homework, take a vacation or just do nothing?

I'll be usIng this time to relax and also catch up on some assignments. Lets see how long this thing lasts.
Please don’t confuse my kindness for weakness.
13 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
55255 posts
20108 upvotes
Why does this university always go on strike?

Might be better to wipe it out and start the staffing from square one.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2768 posts
2169 upvotes
GTA
Because contracts are up for negotiation every three years and the university is a tough negotiator.

I have learned through informing myself about the strike that the university is looking to take things away that they had in the last contract. Going backwards instead of forwards is a sure fire way to a strike.
Please don’t confuse my kindness for weakness.
Sep 2, 2015
120 posts
26 upvotes
East York, ON
Not sure how tough a negotiator york is, they offered a better deal than any other university in ontario and the union still said no. More likely that the heavily Marxist element in York's faculty leads to a particularly powerful and persistent union.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1967 posts
619 upvotes
DT Calgary
Silkweave wrote: Not sure how tough a negotiator york is, they offered a better deal than any other university in ontario and the union still said no. More likely that the heavily Marxist element in York's faculty leads to a particularly powerful and persistent union.
Yep, very true. The only non-Marxist part of York is Schulich, and they have a separate union which is not on strike.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12324 posts
11128 upvotes
Imagine harvard striking... jesus Christ the staff here are GRRRREEEDYYYYY!
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
14477 posts
4551 upvotes
GTA
How many strikes has York had? The madness will only stop when people stop enrolling there due to all the strikes
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
55255 posts
20108 upvotes
FreshCo wrote: Yep, very true. The only non-Marxist part of York is Schulich, and they have a separate union which is not on strike.
Good to know.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1418 upvotes
Toronto
Sanyo wrote: Imagine harvard striking... jesus Christ the staff here are GRRRREEEDYYYYY!
The huge majority of faculty at Harvard are tenure-track (job security, good wages, benefits, stability) whereas increasingly, York (and every other university and college!) is relying on part time sessional instructors to teach. They're two different things entirely.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12324 posts
11128 upvotes
wirebound wrote: The huge majority of faculty at Harvard are tenure-track (job security, good wages, benefits, stability) whereas increasingly, York (and every other university and college!) is relying on part time sessional instructors to teach. They're two different things entirely.
I haven't seen Ryerson or U of T strike like this... clearly something is wrong at York and it needs to get fixed... it just makes the university a laugh stock.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5949 posts
1413 upvotes
GTA
This is nasty.

Can you not transfer? why would you stay?
Sep 4, 2017
423 posts
712 upvotes
Was wondering if anyone knows the transfer process.. Long story short, I only have a semester worth of credits (half a year in school) and I want to transfer to Ryerson. Does anyone know if I could transfer?