Food & Drink

What is on your shopping list for Costco?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 6:59 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7949 posts
3608 upvotes
Avocado oil mayonnaise is new at my location, think it's the Chosen Foods brand, $10.99. Strawberry Rhubarb is the current pie flavour.

Frozen Pho is clearing at $4.97, Mejicano (sp?) Quesadillas (pretty good) are marked down to $9.97. I like them topped with enchilada sauce and extra cheese.

Low stock on the Baja salad kits. Hope they're not discontinued.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5520 upvotes
Toronto
bonterra wrote: Avocado oil mayonnaise is new at my location, think it's the Chosen Foods brand, $10.99. Strawberry Rhubarb is the current pie flavour.

Frozen Pho is clearing at $4.97, Mejicano (sp?) Quesadillas (pretty good) are marked down to $9.97. I like them topped with enchilada sauce and extra cheese.

noticed the avocado mayo for the first time today. it is chosen foods. picked up a bottle. avocado oil is the only oil used in it.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7133 posts
3736 upvotes
Montreal
Balderson double smoked cheddar is on sale. I picked up a block last time it was on sale and loved it.

The expiry date on the block I bought last time was almost a year out - will it really last that long if it's unopened?
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
In the fridge? Oh yeah. You can buy a pile of cheese and just leave it there at least 8 months standard and it will be just fine. Never freeze it because it goes crumbly, though. On big blocks don't put your fingers on the cheese or the inner packaging when you are serving some and you won't have any issue of green mould blooms even if it takes you 6 weeks to finish it. Cheese is one of the most stable perishable foods and the stuff you're eating was definitely aged for years already.

I freaking love smoked cheese. I don't think it would be able to celebrate a week in my house. I'd find a reason to have it in every meal.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
psyko514 wrote: The expiry date on the block I bought last time was almost a year out - will it really last that long if it's unopened?
As long as it's unopened.
Once it's opened and exposed to oxygen/dirty hands/utensils/etc then all bets are off.
But most cheese in the original package (or vacuum sealed again) it'll last a ridiculously long time.
lecale wrote: I freaking love smoked cheese. I don't think it would be able to celebrate a week in my house. I'd find a reason to have it in every meal.
I'm quite hooked on smoked gouda right now.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
boredstudent3 wrote: Here is "Some More Pie"

Very very underwhelming. Regretting the blind-buy and definitely not a re-buy.

Tasteless, bland, boring. It sat in the fridge 5 days with 2 slices missing before it got trashed.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
3517 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto
Cas77 wrote: Very very underwhelming. Regretting the blind-buy and definitely not a re-buy.

Tasteless, bland, boring. It sat in the fridge 5 days with 2 slices missing before it got trashed.
Thanks for info and taste test. I'm eyeing the chocolate hazelnut cake they have in the bunkers. But must resist lol.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7949 posts
3608 upvotes
psyko514 wrote: Balderson double smoked cheddar is on sale. I picked up a block last time it was on sale and loved it.

The expiry date on the block I bought last time was almost a year out - will it really last that long if it's unopened?
I've opened it and cut in half and frozen half. It freezes quite well. A steal at this weeks $6.99. Going for that and the big Alexia scallops and Kirkland brand antihistamines.

The smoked cheddar is so good in stuffed peppers.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7949 posts
3608 upvotes
lecale wrote: Never freeze it because it goes crumbly, though.
I've had good results with freezing it. Hasn't been crumbly at all. It's like a miracle cheese, one of my top favourites.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7949 posts
3608 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: Very very underwhelming. Regretting the blind-buy and definitely not a re-buy.

Thanks for the review. I kind of got that impression from looking at it. Bought the strawberry/rhubarb pie. Not a rebuy either. I was so craving a taste of spring. Guess we'll have to wait until Ontario/local strawberries are in season and I'll make my own.
Jun 26, 2016
299 posts
37 upvotes
bonterra wrote: Avocado oil mayonnaise is new at my location, think it's the Chosen Foods brand, $10.99. Strawberry Rhubarb is the current pie flavour.

that frozen Pho is so gross. I tried it once and couldnt finish it.
Jun 26, 2016
299 posts
37 upvotes
boredstudent3 wrote: Thanks for info and taste test. I'm eyeing the chocolate hazelnut cake they have in the bunkers. But must resist lol.
that hazelnut cake is great. so light and the flavour is amazing. we buy them all the time at work for birthdays.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7133 posts
3736 upvotes
Montreal
lecale wrote: In the fridge? Oh yeah. You can buy a pile of cheese and just leave it there at least 8 months standard and it will be just fine. Never freeze it because it goes crumbly, though. On big blocks don't put your fingers on the cheese or the inner packaging when you are serving some and you won't have any issue of green mould blooms even if it takes you 6 weeks to finish it. Cheese is one of the most stable perishable foods and the stuff you're eating was definitely aged for years already.

I freaking love smoked cheese. I don't think it would be able to celebrate a week in my house. I'd find a reason to have it in every meal.
death_hawk wrote: As long as it's unopened.
Once it's opened and exposed to oxygen/dirty hands/utensils/etc then all bets are off.
But most cheese in the original package (or vacuum sealed again) it'll last a ridiculously long time.
I'm quite hooked on smoked gouda right now.
bonterra wrote: I've opened it and cut in half and frozen half. It freezes quite well. A steal at this weeks $6.99. Going for that and the big Alexia scallops and Kirkland brand antihistamines.

Thanks all. I'll stock up this week. And I'll definitely try it on stuffed peppers!
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
bonterra wrote: I've opened it and cut in half and frozen half. It freezes quite well. A steal at this weeks $6.99. Going for that and the big Alexia scallops and Kirkland brand antihistamines.

PC has a 2-yr smoked cheddar (Balderson is 1-yr) that is a bit sharper and if you get the 200 pts/$1 deli cheese offer that puts you at the same price. Another one to try anyway. Stuck on Smoked Oka Artisan which is mildly stinky-mushroomy. I like them best straight with dry hard red grapes.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
Thanks for heads up on the smoked cheddar....love smoked cheeses as well. I just end up going to the fridge and slicing off a piece multiple times in the middle of the night though.....
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
bonterra wrote: This is the excellent recipe I use (posted by Mars2012):

http://tsgcookin.com/2013/06/bacon-wrap ... m-peppers/
I bet these would be awesome if you made them ahead and re-warmed on the grill.

Also try it as a layer in lasagne: tub cottage cheese + shredded smoked cheese + egg + salt, pepper, (herbs). Take an immersion blender to it and ricotta-ize it. Alternate with your meat/cheese layer. To get a really smoky chicken to go with that, I grill kebobs of chicken tossed in mayo and spice because the mayo seals the moisture, keeps spice stuck and gives a great char on my grill pan. Then an Alfredo type sauce. Then unbutton your button!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
I saw Limoncello cakes on my last visit. Anyone tried?

The topping looked like lemon curd and the cake looked similar to this lemon meringue cake.

http://sweetapolita.com/2013/03/lemon-m ... ight-cake/

I like lemon and orange flavoured cakes but damn if I could eat a whole one of that by myself.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
3517 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote: I saw Limoncello cakes on my last visit. Anyone tried?

The topping looked like lemon curd and the cake looked similar to this lemon meringue cake.

http://sweetapolita.com/2013/03/lemon-m ... ight-cake/

I like lemon and orange flavoured cakes but damn if I could eat a whole one of that by myself.
I recall @bonterra mentioning them a page or two back. Not sure if she tried or not.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
noticed Costco is now selling organic Japanese matcha (250g) for $20. Sorry, no pic.