Food & Drink

What is on your shopping list for Costco?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2020 1:23 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1830 posts
813 upvotes
London
Cas77 wrote: I don't know of anywhere else that they charge you by the pound. Everywhere I've seen you're charged for a fill-up. If I'm having people over for a bbq and need to make sure I don't run out Costco is the only place that'll top it up for me without charging $25.
It's not every location that charges per pound.
Some still do it as a flat rate per fill up.
It's still a huge savings over competitors though, and if you have multiple tanks and only fill when empty it really doesn't matter.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2744 posts
1943 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
djpr wrote: For condomsl
My thought exactly. Gotta have the Costco sized box of XL condoms. ;)
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11844 posts
2379 upvotes
ds2chan wrote: I think the better question is what is not worth buying at Costco? That would probably be a shorter list.

For now the only thing off the top of my head is cans of pop.

I think their meat in general is better quality. I have no idea how the price compares to other stores though.

If you mean pop is not worth buying, then I disagree. The common sale price for pop is $8.85 for a 36 pack. That's typically better than sale prices at most supermarkets. It works out to $2.95 for a 12 pack while supermarket sales are commonly a little more like $3.33 or $3.50.

Even comparing the regular price of 12 packs is commonly over $4 at super markets, while Costco is $11.85 for 36 (or $3.95 per 12).

BTW, pop is on sale at Costco right now. Pepsi products are slightly cheaper at $8.79.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2222 posts
851 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote: If you mean pop is not worth buying, then I disagree. The common sale price for pop is $8.85 for a 36 pack. That's typically better than sale prices at most supermarkets. It works out to $2.95 for a 12 pack while supermarket sales are commonly a little more like $3.33 or $3.50.

Even comparing the regular price of 12 packs is commonly over $4 at super markets, while Costco is $11.85 for 36 (or $3.95 per 12).

BTW, pop is on sale at Costco right now. Pepsi products are slightly cheaper at $8.79.
I was thinking of the regular price. But yeah, when it's on sale then it's a pretty good price. I thought the sale price is supposed to be $8. Maybe I'm living in the past.

I think the sale price at grocery stores is normally $5 for a case of 24 these days for Coke. That works out to $0.20 per can (why don't keyboards have a cent symbol).
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11844 posts
2379 upvotes
ds2chan wrote: I was thinking of the regular price. But yeah, when it's on sale then it's a pretty good price. I thought the sale price is supposed to be $8. Maybe I'm living in the past.

I think the sale price at grocery stores is normally $5 for a case of 24 these days for Coke. That works out to $0.20 per can (why don't keyboards have a cent symbol).
24 pack for $5 is pretty rare. Common sale prices are $6+... if you can find a place that sells them. Typically the $5 range is for the 18 packs. I drink too much pop...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2700 upvotes
ON
ds2chan wrote: I was thinking of the regular price. But yeah, when it's on sale then it's a pretty good price. I thought the sale price is supposed to be $8. Maybe I'm living in the past.

Yeah, you're living in the past ;)
Sale price for 24s these days rarely goes under $6.67 (=$8.89 for Costco size)
Dec 15, 2014
183 posts
33 upvotes
Brampton, ON
ar2020 wrote: Price? Still on sale?
It was $21.99 for 2.3 liter jar. It's back to normal of $27.99. This is the Nutiva virgin coconut oil.

1.36 kg of walnuts is $13.99 and seems to be he new regular price.

People buying a lot of plants. Don't know if good sale or not. $9.99 for some of the hanging flower pots
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6857 posts
1546 upvotes
Litres of coffee creamer and whipping cream, creamer usually $1.95, whipping cream, $4.45?. Always cheaper than grocery store's sale prices.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2222 posts
851 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote: 24 pack for $5 is pretty rare. Common sale prices are $6+... if you can find a place that sells them. Typically the $5 range is for the 18 packs. I drink too much pop...
aqnd wrote: Yeah, you're living in the past ;)
Sale price for 24s these days rarely goes under $6.67 (=$8.89 for Costco size)
OK, I've got to pay attention to the number of cans that I'm buying in a case and the price that I'm paying. Up until about 5 or 6 years ago I thought bananas were still $0.39/lb. I rarely buy cans of pop but I did buy a case of Coke from Costco the last time it was on sale.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1877 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
Do you guys think you are actually saving money by bulk buying pop at Costco? Costco sells you the extra large quantities and you sub-conciously consume more sugar laden pop than someone who buys smaller amounts elsewhere. It's the classic catch 22 of buying so much. You either consume more than a normal person would or end up throwing it out. And in the case of pop, have a higher chance of cavities and diabetes.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1034 posts
391 upvotes
North of Toronto
JoeStale wrote: Do you guys think you are actually saving money by bulk buying pop at Costco? Costco sells you the extra large quantities and you sub-conciously consume more sugar laden pop than someone who buys smaller amounts elsewhere. It's the classic catch 22 of buying so much. You either consume more than a normal person would or end up throwing it out. And in the case of pop, have a higher chance of cavities and diabetes.
I don't really drink much pop anymore but when I did. I did not drink more because Costco had a better price.

Your Costco conspiracy on pop is hilarious. Costco sells more pop to you so you can sub consciously drink more? haha. so dumb. They sell 32 cans against 24 cans? Conspiracy! 8 cans more!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2700 upvotes
ON
Also Costco expiry on the case I just bought was like October.
The 'sale' stuff in stores is often only 2 months ahead (sometimes less)
So even if you're buying more at once, it's likely fresher product and will last longer.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)