Food & Drink

What is on your shopping list for Costco?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2020 12:01 am
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3588 posts
3699 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Got a link? Or do they only have one frozen burger?
As a rule, I dislike frozen burgers. I haven't met one that I've actually liked.
Sure there's a bunch that are passable, but I don't get why fresh isn't a thing. Burgers (to me) aren't really a "I have no food to eat, let's hit the freezer" type meal since you (should) have buns which aren't used anywhere else so it requires a shopping trip.
Sure! https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/keg-steakh ... 0187820484

To answer your question of why frozen. 99% of the time I eat home made food that I make from scratch. No cheating, nothing but good ol' fresh ingredients. When I'm in burger mood, I've already decided that due to whatever reason (cough, excuse) that I've decided to have a cheat day. (say, short on time). I always have lettuce, tomato and cheese on hand, and the burgers/buns are frozen so I just grab those.

And quite honestly, I haven't had much in the way of fresh burgers, and those that I have had haven't been any better than the frozen ones.

The Wagyu burgers from Loblaws or these Keg burgers are to die for. The former though will accelerate my death by a matter of decades, so I try and stick to the latter as there is much less fat.......(I know, laugh at my justification!)
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
What is with people putting water in their burgers?
I'm trying to remove water. Not add more to it.
Otherwise it's fine. No fillers it looks like.
Oil is a bit suspect. I think it's trying to replace the fat, but I'm not sure if adding straight veg oil is going to help.
To answer your question of why frozen. 99% of the time I eat home made food that I make from scratch. No cheating, nothing but good ol' fresh ingredients. When I'm in burger mood, I've already decided that due to whatever reason (cough, excuse) that I've decided to have a cheat day. (say, short on time). I always have lettuce, tomato and cheese on hand, and the burgers/buns are frozen so I just grab those.
Come to think of it I usually have buns in the freezer too so I can't even comment.
No lettuce/tomato though but I'm not really a sandwich person (at least a sandwich person at home, too many things to make).
And quite honestly, I haven't had much in the way of fresh burgers, and those that I have had haven't been any better than the frozen ones.
Burgers are weird. Frozen is at least consistently meh. I haven't met one that's been amazing.
Fresh.... fresh is just dumb. It's either spectacular or spectacularly awful. Sometimes people handle it wrong, add too much junk, pretend it's meatloaf, etc.
But that one time someone makes it perfectly. It's life changing.
The Wagyu burgers from Loblaws or these Keg burgers are to die for.

These?
https://www.loblaws.ca/Food/Frozen/Meat ... 0766235_EA
Even if it isn't, WTF is with the water?
The former though will accelerate my death by a matter of decades, so I try and stick to the latter as there is much less fat.......(I know, laugh at my justification!)
To be fair, the latter has veg oil added.
What? I like ruining food for everyone....

Also assuming the waygu ones are the one I linked, those actually look better than the Keg ones.
You'd have to check the fat content to see which is better since I'm going exclusively by ingredient list.

I may as well be french because I've embraced fats.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3588 posts
3699 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: What is with people putting water in their burgers?
I'm trying to remove water. Not add more to it.
Otherwise it's fine. No fillers it looks like.
Oil is a bit suspect. I think it's trying to replace the fat, but I'm not sure if adding straight veg oil is going to help.

Come to think of it I usually have buns in the freezer too so I can't even comment.
No lettuce/tomato though but I'm not really a sandwich person (at least a sandwich person at home, too many things to make).

Burgers are weird. Frozen is at least consistently meh. I haven't met one that's been amazing.
Fresh.... fresh is just dumb. It's either spectacular or spectacularly awful. Sometimes people handle it wrong, add too much junk, pretend it's meatloaf, etc.
But that one time someone makes it perfectly. It's life changing.

These?
https://www.loblaws.ca/Food/Frozen/Meat ... 0766235_EA
Even if it isn't, WTF is with the water?

To be fair, the latter has veg oil added.
What? I like ruining food for everyone....

Also assuming the waygu ones are the one I linked, those actually look better than the Keg ones.
You'd have to check the fat content to see which is better since I'm going exclusively by ingredient list.

I may as well be french because I've embraced fats.
I'm no food professional like you but I suspect the water content is there in order for a burger to look juicy and or to assist with the fact that the beef is frozen? Anyways, no idea.

If possible I would really like to hear your feedback with either of these burgers. Who knows? You may end up liking them, haha. Well on a balance of probabilities, probably not........

In regards to the wagyu burger, yes, you're right - that's the one. It's really really really fatty, so..... ;)
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote: I'm no food professional like you but I suspect the water content is there in order for a burger to look juicy and or to assist with the fact that the beef is frozen? Anyways, no idea.
That's what I'm thinking too. Or maybe to aid in processing. A loose mixture is easier to handle and since it's being frozen it helps in shape retention.
Plus water is "free" which means you're paying for water.
If possible I would really like to hear your feedback with either of these burgers. Who knows? You may end up liking them, haha. Well on a balance of probabilities, probably not........
Which one is your favorite?
Just for you next time I see it, I'll pick a box up and try it.
In regards to the wagyu burger, yes, you're right - that's the one. It's really really really fatty, so..... ;)
I mean... fat is a good thing.
A burger should be 20% fat.

NOTE: I never said a healthy thing.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3588 posts
3699 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: That's what I'm thinking too. Or maybe to aid in processing. A loose mixture is easier to handle and since it's being frozen it helps in shape retention.
Plus water is "free" which means you're paying for water.

Which one is your favorite?
Just for you next time I see it, I'll pick a box up and try it.

I mean... fat is a good thing.
A burger should be 20% fat.

NOTE: I never said a healthy thing.
Hahaha! Yes re: fat.

A Wagyu burger is, for me, like Wagyu steak in many ways. It's really good, but it's "too" rich to enjoy a lot of it. After eating a Wagyu burger, I usually am grinning ear to ear, but I feel exhausted after 5 minutes and I feel guilty as a kid caught with her hand in the candy jar...

A Keg burger is great to me. I could eat more than one (we all have those days...) and sometimes I do. There is no way I can handle more than 1 wagyu burger. It's really fatty (and good), but it just takes a lot out of a person.

Unsure if you've had a wagyu (A5 or whatever) steak. It's the same thing for me....great when eating it, but can't eat a lot of it and feel half dead afterwards....artery clogging dead :)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote: A Wagyu burger is, for me, like Wagyu steak in many ways. It's really good, but it's "too" rich to enjoy a lot of it. After eating a Wagyu burger, I usually am grinning ear to ear, but I feel exhausted after 5 minutes and I feel guilty as a kid caught with her hand in the candy jar...
I'm definitely no stranger to the meat based nap.
Especially a fat enhanced meat based nap.
There is no way I can handle more than 1 wagyu burger. It's really fatty (and good), but it just takes a lot out of a person.
Challenge accepted.
Unsure if you've had a wagyu (A5 or whatever) steak. It's the same thing for me....great when eating it, but can't eat a lot of it and feel half dead afterwards....artery clogging dead :)
Yeah... it's definitely a different animal than a regular steak.
I can usually eat 2-3lbs of regular steak but even 8oz is a bit much.

Even yesterday I had some back ribs that had a RIDICULOUS amount of marbling on them. Like I want to find the rest of the pig because it was marvelous.
I basically fell asleep with a rib in my hand.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18459 posts
26468 upvotes
ONTARIO
Verry Cherry Plums will be sold by Costco starting late next week, I read. I love these little fruits so can't wait to stock up!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
jackie999 wrote: I see this week the Kirkland Signature Moist Flushable wipes on sale. I prefer to pickup in the warehouse - anyone seen them there of do I need to order?
I can't guarantee stock, but I have seen them in store in the past.
If you're concerned, take the item number, call them, and ask about stock.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19733 posts
4342 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Manchego cheese is back at my local Costco!
Great success!!!

I posted a review and photos of this cheese, earlier in the thread.
Link to review: Post #4328
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Aug 18th, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2646 posts
530 upvotes
Whitby
I stopped the Costco Business Centre to pick up a AAAbrisket ($10/kg - great deal) and picked up this 3.78L of jalapenos for $4.89 - couldn't resist.
Images
  • imageService.jpg
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1619 posts
466 upvotes
Elgin, ON
When are hockey sticks back?

I think they made their way to stores around this time last year.
Last edited by rkjredflag on Aug 1st, 2019 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2263 posts
2931 upvotes
I saw hockey bags this week, so the sticks, pucks, tape, nets and more can't be too far behind.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1497 posts
581 upvotes
Toronto
I couldn't find Boom Chicka Pop at the Mississauga Heartland Costco today. Anyone know if they have discontinued it?