Whats the #1 reason why...

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2011 11:06 pm
[OP]
Aug 14, 2009
480 posts
99 upvotes

Whats the #1 reason why...

Whats the #1 reason that a application package gets tossed into the "no" pile?
Anybody with recruiting experience want to chime in and tell the top reasons that make the manager not call the person in for an interview?

reason i ask is because:
i go to a good university, have extensive co-op experiences at f500 companies, good grades, plenty of leadership roles, a triple checked resume/cl
yet after applying to to 50 jobs so far, i havent gotten so much as 1 callback... :?:
32 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4505 posts
2165 upvotes
Calgary
There's a few threads here by recruiters on reasons why a resume may be rejected, you can search through there is a recent one in the past 2-3 pages. Reasons given were resumes / cover letters not tailored for the job, spelling mistakes, overqualified or underqualified, etc. As for your resume, why not post it here (deleting any personal info) to see if it can be reviewed?
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
1402 posts
140 upvotes
Vancouver
It's getting tossed because 500 just like you are applying for the same job.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2009
480 posts
99 upvotes
the things you mentioned are the basics and MUST be done just to put your name in the ballot but i was hoping for some deeper insights into recruiting

thing is ive had my application package triple checked by everybody on the block
but it seems to me that the job market is just so fierce that normal guys like me simply cant make the cut
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9563 posts
2180 upvotes
Somewhere
drey2k wrote: It's getting tossed because 500 just like you are applying for the same job.

This.

You think you are well qualified, but there are hundreds of applicants that are even more so.

Try asking friends and stuff for contacts and connections.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2009
480 posts
99 upvotes
iEyeCaptain wrote: This.

You think you are well qualified, but there are hundreds of applicants that are even more so.

Try asking friends and stuff for contacts and connections.
yeah i figured as much, guys like me are a dime a dozen and its the GTA we're talking about which is already one of the most over saturated job markets in the world
that was my general logic when going about this but i hoping to spark some discussion on recruiting in general or on how to overcome the odds
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9563 posts
2180 upvotes
Somewhere
ttothel wrote: yeah i figured as much, guys like me are a dime a dozen and its the GTA we're talking about which is already one of the most over saturated job markets in the world
that was my general logic when going about this but i hoping to spark some discussion on recruiting in general or on how to overcome the odds

Heh, if you think Toronto is tough, try Vancouver. Or worse, Tokyo.

How to overcome the odds? Connections. That is the most straightforward, honest and (imo) accurate answer to that question.

It's how I got my current job! :lol:
Dec 27, 2009
626 posts
14 upvotes
ttothel wrote: Whats the #1 reason that a application package gets tossed into the "no" pile?
Anybody with recruiting experience want to chime in and tell the top reasons that make the manager not call the person in for an interview?

reason i ask is because:
i go to a good university, have extensive co-op experiences at f500 companies, good grades, plenty of leadership roles, a triple checked resume/cl
yet after applying to to 50 jobs so far, i havent gotten so much as 1 callback... :?:

hey im wondering, what university and what program did you graduate from or go to?
Sep 16, 2011
120 posts
9 upvotes
TORONTO
Connections 10000000%

Keep trying and make as many connections as you can. Yeah it sucks I am in same boat. What Type of job are you looking for ?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5362 posts
1608 upvotes
ttothel wrote: yeah i figured as much, guys like me are a dime a dozen and its the GTA we're talking about which is already one of the most over saturated job markets in the world

Referrals is the most common way to beat the odds. Having a person vouch for you gives you a big edge over everyone else. Outside of this, just apply apply apply. If you want to succeed, double your failure rate.

If you have time, call the company after submitting your application. Your diligence MIGHT give you an edge, especially if there is not HR department and you managed to get a hold of the hiring manager (not going to happen very often). Of course, you'll need to give a good sales pitch. Still, I think building connections and making friends is the best way to go for the long term.

Why do people get rejected? There are too many reasons to list. All you need to remember is that hiring is done by PEOPLE. It's not done by a machine. You could make no grammar mistakes but the person reading it mistakenly thinks there is a mistake. You could be rejected because the reader hates people from a certain university. You could be rejected because you're male or female (based on your name). The list goes on and on. In general, people are not consciously biased and will filter based on objective reasons. It's not so much that you got rejected because you don't qualify, but because there are many other candidates with similar or or appealing resume. But anyways, you can't control who reads your resume. So just present yourself in your best light and pray. It's a lot like dating. Sometimes you're a great person but the other person doesn't see you that way for reasons beyond your control.

I also think some new grads are over zealous. Some companies demand the best of the best. While some positions deliberately NOT hire the best because they are usually too ambitious. A more "average" mentality is sometimes more suitable for certain jobs because there's no room of advancement and little pay increase. Example: Accounts Payable is generally really boring. It's more appropriate to hire someone who just wants a job than someone who's trying to build a career. From this, I think fresh grads need to keep in mind how "progressive" they sound on paper for certain jobs.
Dec 27, 2009
626 posts
14 upvotes
yes we all know that connections are a good thing to have when applying for job but thats not all...

which is why I am really interested to see what kind of job this guy is looking for..

for example, there if you are graduating with a computer science degree or electrical engineering, I can almost personally guarantee you a job regardless of of who you know or your personality.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1423 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
For starters... add a career objective or what you are looking for in your next role and DO NOT add something like.. "work for a dynamic company"
Also you need to add in what value you added (quantifiable numbers) to the positions that you held in your internship roles. This will help you in standing out from the rest of the individuals applying for the same position.

1. List your Name and contact info at the top
2. Simple career objective and a brief summary of your skills for the job you are applying for
3. List of your skills (transferable, soft and technical)
4. List of your previous/current work history with line descriptions of your functions in the role and how you benefited the your employer
5. Education should be listed at the bottom. If you list this at the top or near the top, its a dead give away that you are new to the workforce.

Employers want to see they skills you can bring to the job and how your soft skills will help you integrate into the role with minimal supervision.

Do a Google search on various resume samples to give you an idea.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2009
480 posts
99 upvotes
qster wrote: For starters... add a career objective or what you are looking for in your next role and DO NOT add something like.. "work for a dynamic company"
Also you need to add in what value you added (quantifiable numbers) to the positions that you held in your internship roles. This will help you in standing out from the rest of the individuals applying for the same position.

2. Simple career objective and a brief summary of your skills for the job you are applying for
4. List of your previous/current work history with line descriptions of your functions in the role and how you benefited the your employer
5. Education should be listed at the bottom. If you list this at the top or near the top, its a dead give away that you are new to the workforce.

Employers want to see they skills you can bring to the job and how your soft skills will help you integrate into the role with minimal supervision.

yea all those things i considered while preparin my package ;)
but i figured those things are rudimentary in this day an age, and if an applicant is still strugglin with things those; the job market will eat him alive
actually i think its all a numbers game, to be honest 50 application is nothing, 200 is more like it, just gotta keep buyin lotto tickets like the rest of em i guess
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1423 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
ttothel wrote: yea all those things i considered while preparin my package ;)
but i figured those things are rudimentary in this day an age, and if an applicant is still strugglin with things those; the job market will eat him alive
actually i think its all a numbers game, to be honest 50 application is nothing, 200 is more like it, just gotta keep buyin lotto tickets like the rest of em i guess

You would be amazed at some of the resume I still see. Its like people don't know how to market themselves or don't put any effort into updating or creating a resume.

The first step is to place key words for the job/role you are interested and qualified for.
The HRIS system that most companies use will screen for these words and pass the other aside. Then a human will scan over the filtered resume pile and look at the quantifiable skills that they are looking for in the next candidate.

Find a few Agencies/Recruiters to assist you in your search.

This is just to get you a 1st interview to sell yourself in person or over the phone.
Jan 7, 2005
898 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto
Here are a few things I don't like to see on resume

- Generic skills that can't be proven or verified.... good team player..great organization skills...can work under stress...etc..
- Too much information, and use small fonts so they fit. If you apply to IT job, I don't care that you have '10yrs of singing experience and appeared in American Idol".. Only put down the relevant stuff.
- No proficiency level to show how good you are... "Good in MS Excel"....as opposed to "7 yrs of writing complex formula and macro in MS Excel"
- Suspect the person is a Job Hopper (Don't really apply to your situation)
- Non-customized resume/letter, without any reference to my organization.
- List specific things about previous job, that nobody else understands. "I used GULGGFYKH system in company A and wrote a report on EIOBVKLIOHT procedure and input them into EVJKTVMKU database and arranged LOPFGSAKA meetings" <--- I see this a lot for some reasons....
- I hated most when people said "This job will allow me to gain great experience"..or something like that.. I don't give a shxt... I want to know how you can contribute to us, not the other way around.

A good tip here: Look at the job description closely and point out the terms they might run a search on.
For example... if they ask for "Microsoft Powerpoint", and you put "MS Office Suite" on your resume, there will be no hit.
Feb 21, 2007
643 posts
65 upvotes
Calgary
qster wrote: For starters... add a career objective or what you are looking for in your next role and DO NOT add something like.. "work for a dynamic company"

Like this:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/d ... dium-1.jpg[/IMG]

I got this resume example from one of the Alberta Works agencies. I rebuilt my resume to match this format, The written notes are just some of my own. My background is in Electronics Engineering Technology, and Marketing, so whatever job I'm applying for, I taylor it accordingly. If I'm applying for a marketing job, I take off my electronics diploma, but I keep my BBA and marketing diploma on there. If I'm applying for an electronics technologist position, I take my business admin stuff off. If I'm applying for a higher position like management in a tech company, I leave all my education on there. I also make adjustments to the summary and skills sections. In the Summary section I outline my skills that are listed in the job qualification list on the posting. In the skills section I list stuff like project work, stuff I've done in previous jobs, or even volunteer experience, etc. The career counselor I spoke with said either keep it to one page, or two complete pages, but not a page and a half.

I've got tons of resumes out there. My biggest gripe is recruiters seem to take to long to make a decision. I needed work yesterday. Not tomorrow, not next month, yesterday. For example, a month ago I applied for a recruiter position with Westjet. I know I wasn't going to get selected for this position as I don't have enough HR background yet (educational),but I though I'd apply anway just to let them know I exist. Well yesterday, I finally got a reply back with my expected outcome. But a month to do so? Come on! What a way to support the economy. Rather than getting people in the work force fast (and preventing people from going on welfare), well, I just don't get it. Doesn't make sense. Time to go join the Occupy protest I guess.
:)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5309 posts
1701 upvotes
I always like hearing employers perspective from the entry-level HR clerk who sifts through an endless pile of resumes day in and day out to fill icepick to the face boring call center jobs ..... they wouldnt know a quality resume if it hit them in the face, but at the same time you'd find value in their process if you were looking for one of those entry level icepick to the face call center jobs. :lol: :facepalm:
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Nov 16, 2003
841 posts
53 upvotes
Calgary
Why do people think it's important to put in a career objective in a resume? What does it add?

If I see something like "I'm looking for a job that will allow me to..." or "Secure a position as a xxx" or "Work at a dynamic company" it adds absolutely no value and actually makes the me look at the appliant in a negative light. I don't give two hoots what you want, I want to know how you can help me.

My suggestion is that unless your objective is extremely compelling just leave it out. Instead put in a skills summary at the top that will draw the reader directly to that and he/she can see at a glance what you have to offer without having to read through the entire resume. If the review likes what he/she sees in the skills summary they will be more apt to read the rest of the resume with some interest.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."
-- Jean Chretien
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1423 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
volan wrote: Why do people think it's important to put in a career objective in a resume? What does it add?

If I see something like "I'm looking for a job that will allow me to..." or "Secure a position as a xxx" or "Work at a dynamic company" it adds absolutely no value and actually makes the me look at the appliant in a negative light. I don't give two hoots what you want, I want to know how you can help me.

My suggestion is that unless your objective is extremely compelling just leave it out. Instead put in a skills summary at the top that will draw the reader directly to that and he/she can see at a glance what you have to offer without having to read through the entire resume. If the review likes what he/she sees in the skills summary they will be more apt to read the rest of the resume with some interest.

The career objective will inform the reader what you want in your next job and it will let them determine if they want to continue on reading the rest of the first page and the other pages.

Avoid putting this on your resume "Work at a dynamic company" every company is dynamic in its own right.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1423 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
SkiFreak wrote: Like this:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/d ... dium-1.jpg[/IMG]

I got this resume example from one of the Alberta Works agencies. I rebuilt my resume to match this format, The written notes are just some of my own. My background is in Electronics Engineering Technology, and Marketing, so whatever job I'm applying for, I taylor it accordingly. If I'm applying for a marketing job, I take off my electronics diploma, but I keep my BBA and marketing diploma on there. If I'm applying for an electronics technologist position, I take my business admin stuff off. If I'm applying for a higher position like management in a tech company, I leave all my education on there. I also make adjustments to the summary and skills sections. In the Summary section I outline my skills that are listed in the job qualification list on the posting. In the skills section I list stuff like project work, stuff I've done in previous jobs, or even volunteer experience, etc. The career counselor I spoke with said either keep it to one page, or two complete pages, but not a page and a half.

I've got tons of resumes out there. My biggest gripe is recruiters seem to take to long to make a decision. I needed work yesterday. Not tomorrow, not next month, yesterday. For example, a month ago I applied for a recruiter position with Westjet. I know I wasn't going to get selected for this position as I don't have enough HR background yet (educational),but I though I'd apply anway just to let them know I exist. Well yesterday, I finally got a reply back with my expected outcome. But a month to do so? Come on! What a way to support the economy. Rather than getting people in the work force fast (and preventing people from going on welfare), well, I just don't get it. Doesn't make sense. Time to go join the Occupy protest I guess.
Recruiter know what they are looking for as the clients have specified what they require in the next candidate. Its the recruiters job to weed out from their current resume pool or use vendors (ie. workopolis or monster).. Recruiters are only interested in getting 3 to 5 qualified resumes to the client. Some will update you, others (most) won't care to contact you after, its just the way the operate as they do not have time/effort to follow-up with the non-qualified (they would be wasting their time).

If you know you do not have the qualifications that the job lists, do not apply. Your resume would never make it through and you would not be noticed anyhow. The hiring process can take any where from a week to 3 months depending on the need of the employer, availability of the hiring manager and the candidate screening process (multiple interviews)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)