Automotive

What's the advantage of placing the e-brake as a pedal on the floor??

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2008 12:30 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 23, 2007
901 posts
8 upvotes

What's the advantage of placing the e-brake as a pedal on the floor??

I just don't understand why so many cars, well, especially American cars, place the handbrake/e-brake/parking brake on the left foot side floor!! It looks soooo retardate to me. I looked it up in wikipedia, they say that many US cars come with front bench seats and thus has no place to put a handbrake, that's BS! Of course you can mount something in the middle. And in fact many American cars that don't have bench seat also have no handbrake! Assume the driver suddenly loses consciousness and the passenger trying to stop the car, well...how? Get a stick and poke the e-brake that's a meter away?? Are there ANY advantage associated with this setup?

The reason I ask this is because I'm teaching my sister how to drive, but my Allure's e-brake is below her left foot!
51 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6941 posts
1021 upvotes
Toronto
Trying to teach your sister how to do mad e-brake slides?? That's right, I said mad.

LOL. Anyways, I wouldn't really call it BS, plenty of older cars always had the foot pedal style brake because well, they had bench seats. Why does it make a difference where it is? Besides the obvious, previously stated reason.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9951 posts
3068 upvotes
Acura TL's and CL's (2001ish) all have foot e-brakes. Also adds more room for a comfortable arm rest that doubles as a storage compartment.

The only disadvantage I can really think of is that its not good for e-brake slides, which you shouldn't be doing anyways. That and when someone else drives your car they may not realize you have it engaged.
Autocorrect sucks
Jan 22, 2008
474 posts
27 upvotes
I thought almost all cars had the console mounted one these days? I don't think I've seen one in the footwell on a new car since the early 90's (although I hardly ever sit in truck or SUV...). I'm really surprised to learn about that Accura one.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1165 posts
3 upvotes
mississauga, ontario
camry 07+ has an ebrake..... dont mind it ...
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2004
2064 posts
88 upvotes
Ktichener, ON
E-Brake in US called Parking Brake. Not an emergency brake.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2001
2473 posts
249 upvotes
My lexus has a foot pedal and my neon has a handbrake. The lexus has quite a bit more storage room in comparison.
Dec 2, 2003
742 posts
5 upvotes
Edmonton
Mir wrote: E-Brake in US called Parking Brake. Not an emergency brake.
+1

If used for it's intended purpose (park brake) it shouldn't matter where it's located.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3171 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
leon200608 wrote: Assume the driver suddenly loses consciousness and the passenger trying to stop the car, well...how? Get a stick and poke the e-brake that's a meter away?? Are there ANY advantage associated with this setup?

You should reconsider if you really want to use it as an "Emergency brake". As previously mentioned this is a parking brake and its primary purpose is to lock the car in place when parked. Manual cars also use this to start from an incline.

The parking brake activates the rear wheels only which carry only a small portion of the full braking capability. I think its like 30% or less. You will not be able to stop the car like you are using the regular brake.

The biggest problem is that it could be unsafe to use the parking brake to brake, especially in an emergency situation, because it could easily lock up the rear wheels causing the vehicle to spin.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7608 posts
1026 upvotes
Toronto, ON
leon200608 wrote: I just don't understand why so many cars, well, especially American cars, place the handbrake/e-brake/parking brake on the left foot side floor!! It looks soooo retardate to me. I looked it up in wikipedia, they say that many US cars come with front bench seats and thus has no place to put a handbrake, that's BS! Of course you can mount something in the middle. And in fact many American cars that don't have bench seat also have no handbrake! Assume the driver suddenly loses consciousness and the passenger trying to stop the car, well...how? Get a stick and poke the e-brake that's a meter away?? Are there ANY advantage associated with this setup?

The reason I ask this is because I'm teaching my sister how to drive, but my Allure's e-brake is below her left foot!
FWIW, Mercedes also does the foot brake thing.

But as for American cars, it's totally about the bench seat thing. Hell, your Allure is one of the few cars still available with a bench seat/column shifter option (though good luck finding one that way on a Canadian dealer's lot). The GM W and G platforms were both designed with column shifter/bench seats in mind. So were most other big American platforms, at least until very recently...

Another reason for a foot-mounted parking brake is that it gives you more room for a centre console, and everybody these days wants that...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7608 posts
1026 upvotes
Toronto, ON
GangStarr wrote: That and when someone else drives your car they may not realize you have it engaged.
Shouldn't most cars beep if that's the case?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2005
5624 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
My car (93 grand marquis) doesn't even engage the e-brake/parking brake if the car is in drive! I can put it on, shift into drive, and it'll release itself! It's in the footwell, just in case theres any confusion. The brake is for parking, not emergencies.

Heck, I dont know about the other models but I know the latest gen 7 series (BMW) has an electronic parking brake! You dont have a pedal or handle anywhere, just a little button on the dash you press to engage/disengage.
:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) it took me 45 minutes to make this signature :(
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7039 posts
642 upvotes
BC Interior
Most Mercedes cars and Volvo XC90's at least all have foot parking brakes.

So it's not American cars only. Don't mind it especially on automatics as we typically don't need to engage them. As pointed out the only issue is that it's easy to forget that it's engaged.

P.S. Try stopping a car going at 100 with a handbrake and see what happens. You're not going to get very far... :)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2005
5624 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
ichpen wrote: P.S. Try stopping a car going at 100 with a handbrake and see what happens. You're not going to get very far... :)

Wouldn't that be the point? :lol:
:) it took me 45 minutes to make this signature :(
Dec 31, 1969
What does it matter iwhere it placed its not like your going to go drifting anyways to actually need to use it all the time.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5110 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto
I am not really a fan of the foot e-brake pedal. I have one in my car; and when ever I work on my car and have to take off the center console by shifting the car to a gear other than park; I always am a bit anxious I might accidently press the pedal when getting in my car; stupid I know; but I would just prefer it on the center console like it is with the 6MTs.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2002
1869 posts
6 upvotes
IoannI wrote: What does it matter iwhere it placed its not like your going to go drifting anyways to actually need to use it all the time.
It makes a huge difference with a manual transmission.
Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases -Thomas Jefferson
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6092 posts
3887 upvotes
Toronto
chaoslord wrote: is there a standard car with e-brake as pedal?
cadillac cts-v

using the e-brake or parking brake is not the way to drift, if you're using it to drift you're either a/ don't know how to drift or b/ you're using the wrong car to drift.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5110 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto
BeaverLiquor wrote: cadillac cts-v

using the e-brake or parking brake is not the way to drift, if you're using it to drift you're either a/ don't know how to drift or b/ you're using the wrong car to drift.
+1. Ebrakes is for power sliding in FWD cars. Real RWD cars don't need an ebrake to "drift". All can be done with steering; counter-steering, and throttle response.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)