Personal Finance

Whats the best bank to open an account with?

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2015 1:23 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 4, 2015
1 posts

Whats the best bank to open an account with?

I'm just opening an account so i can do direct deposit for my new job i was just wondering what the best branch to open an account with for features or sign up bonus ect.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2011
1288 posts
345 upvotes
Zhayah wrote: I'm just opening an account so i can do direct deposit for my new job i was just wondering what the best branch to open an account with for features or sign up bonus ect.
Well it kinda depends. President's Choice Financial is great because it's free for regular chequing (no minimum balance), free cheques, and you can use CIBC ABMS as well as PC's ABMs which are located in lots of Loblaws owned grocery stores (Zehrs, Real Canadian Superstore, ect). You'll probably get some PC points (if you care about those) for setting up direct deposit as well.
Aug 7, 2014
119 posts
6 upvotes
North York, ON
Tangerine. You get a $120 bonus for adding direct deposit. ($10 every friday)

Also a $50 signup bonus. No fees for stuff other banks charge for.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2011
1288 posts
345 upvotes
grooll wrote: Tangerine. You get a $120 bonus for adding direct deposit. ($10 every friday)

Also a $50 signup bonus. No fees for stuff other banks charge for.
Oh, I didn't realize they were still doing the direct deposit bonuses. That's definitely better than my suggestion if there are a decent amount of their ABMs in your area. I'm with Tangerine but they don't do direct deposits at my work so I'm still SOL there. lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
964 upvotes
Victoria
All depends where you live. Many local credit unions and banks will have free accounts that don't require a minimum balance. Next best bet is Presidents Choice or Tangerine.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5953 posts
4015 upvotes
Is this going to be your first bank account?
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1182 posts
389 upvotes
I started with PC financial since it has no fees. If i look back now, Tangerine is very good alternative now since it is also free so I recommend it.
---
Happy Koodo User| $40 - 50GB Data | Good Deal +$25 Credit
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4539 posts
1094 upvotes
Richmond
first we have people posting these threads in the correct forum and don't bother to use a search engine. now we have people posting it in the wrong forum and asking these types of questions which a simple search will bring up your answer. sheesh