Request-A-Deal

What's the best/cheapest way to have two phone numbers?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2022 3:30 pm
Tags:
Apr 1, 2020
17 posts
1 upvote

What's the best/cheapest way to have two phone numbers?

I currently have an iPhone XR with a Rogers plan on it. I get 14 GB of data and unlimited talk and text for about $50/month.

I would like a second phone number. I want to use one phone number in my everyday life, and then have another phone number that I only use for secure things like banking.

Ideally I would only like to carry around ONE phone.

What is the best/cheapest way to go about this? Since my phone has dual SIM I was thinking of going with Shaw Mobile (since I am an internet customer with them I can get their plan for $10/month; it comes with a $45 activation fee though which isn't great).

Is there something better I'm missing or a different way to go about this?
2 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19728 posts
28598 upvotes
Vancouver
I have four numbers in my phone, also an iPhone XR:

• Fido 4GB data-only plan for tablets, $5/month (ends this summer then goes up to $10.) This is for data-only, so the phone number isn't usable for calls/texts. Physical SIM.
  • Telus Canada-wide talk & text, no data, $10/month (ends this summer then goes up to $25). I use this for voice calls, texts. My main number, 2FA, etc. It's on an eSIM.
  • Fongo VoIP, unlimited Canada-wide calling, free. Uses wifi or data connection. There is a texting add-on, $10 for 6 months. I mainly use this to call Canada while traveling outside of Canada. Short code SMS not supported so you may run into trouble with 2FA that uses short code SMS.
  • FreeTone, unlimited US calling and SMS over VoIP. Free. Short code SMS not supported. I use this to make and receive texts calls to/from US phone numbers. Free. Just used it this morning. It's a pretty miserable, ad-heavy app, but for occasional use it does the job.

When I travel I pop out my Fido SIM and replace it with a local SIM for data. I leave my Telus eSIM on and roam. No charges so long as I don't send any texts or use the phone. If it rings I let it go to voicemail and call the person back using Fongo for free. I roamed for 5 weeks this past summer in the US and Europe and paid no Telus roaming charges.

$15/month for all of this is pretty sweet I think!
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
4018 posts
4409 upvotes
GTA
melaminemelon wrote: I currently have an iPhone XR with a Rogers plan on it. I get 14 GB of data and unlimited talk and text for about $50/month.

I would like a second phone number. I want to use one phone number in my everyday life, and then have another phone number that I only use for secure things like banking.

Ideally I would only like to carry around ONE phone.

What is the best/cheapest way to go about this? Since my phone has dual SIM I was thinking of going with Shaw Mobile (since I am an internet customer with them I can get their plan for $10/month; it comes with a $45 activation fee though which isn't great).

Is there something better I'm missing or a different way to go about this?
I'd recommend 711 Speakout for your 2FA sim. Here's why:
  • No charge for incoming texts
  • It's a 'traditional' non-start up/app kind of service (vs a free/cheap online number).
  • The cost would be about $25+tax/year (you need to reload $25 every year to keep it active).
  • Runs off the Rogers network

Downside
  • Zero Roaming support, you cant travel and expect the 2fa code to show up out of Canada!