Shopping Discussion

What's the best way to search used tires on Kijiji?

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2019 4:12 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
1220 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto

What's the best way to search used tires on Kijiji?

I get all the junk ads from tire shops. I only want personal ads of people selling tires:

14 replies
Jan 16, 2008
330 posts
125 upvotes
Chatham
Unfortunately that way. But without those ads there probably no Kijiji.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13677 posts
7822 upvotes
Toronto
search by tire size
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16038 posts
4871 upvotes
London
forevergone wrote: I get all the junk ads from tire shops. I only want personal ads of people selling tires:..
To find private ads, most have tires already mounted on rims. I search by the rim. For example, search for “Honda CR-V rims and tires” will tend to find more private sales

My rant:
There are very few good deals for decent used tires in kijiji. I find its better to look for new tires at sales/ clearance.

For example, a decent set of used xice3 is at least $400 and then you need $100 to mount and balance ($500 total). The recent CT sale got me brand new xice3 for $640 all in (incl mount/bal and all taxes) , so it’s only $140 premium for me of 1/2 worn tires vs brand new tires

Similarly, clearance prices on brand new Continental TrueContact all season would have been $600 all in vs $500 for used tires
Sep 24, 2004
804 posts
372 upvotes
Scarborough
Also keep in mind the date of manufacture of the tire when searching on Kijiji. Last winter I found a good set, stating used for only 1 winter and a good price too. Great, I land up there early Sunday morning, the tires were manufactured like 10 years ago. The lady used it for 1 season but the remaining 9 seasons it was in storage. I saw so many ad's and contacted many of them with no luck, finally I ended up getting new ones.
Oct 2, 2018
409 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
I used to buy used tires but find it's a losing game these days, as the previous poster mentioned people have cornered the market and even kijiji isn't what it used to be.

I used to buy my used tires at the auto wreckers, they had their own tire installation place out back and since they had wrecks coming in all the time you would get excellent tread life and pick of brands. A few years ago now they shut down the tire section of Standard, guess someone came in and offered them a bulk price to take all their used tire stock so now they avenue has been shut down also.

If you do find a good alternative please let us know.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5902 posts
1380 upvotes
GTA
Make sure to budget for time wasters with used tires.

Had a winter popped and bought 2 used winters given they are near 5yr mark.

Tried KJJ, it's waste of time dealing with bad presentation, bad info and unrealistic sellers.

A lady was selling almost 5yr old Michelins for 50% of price and won't budge.

Ended up buying from local used tire store, and my only choice were a pair from a car with bad shocks. So I have very noisy Firestones for few winters.

I'd rather buy new cheap branded tires than having to stress out over the volatile nature of informal used tire markets.
Feb 18, 2014
499 posts
295 upvotes
I've always been able to buy great condition tires on kijiji, you have to know what your buying and the spec on the tire when new, buy a tire tread depth gauge. Buy summer tires in the winter season and winter tires in the summer season. I picked up Michelin Xice3 (205 55 16) for $250, tires had 10/32. I also picked up a set of Michelin Primacy HP (215 45 17) for $300, tires had 9/32. Just last winter I picked up a set of Goodyear Nordic (185 75 14) for $90 for my sons civic, tires had 10/32.

If you have time, you can find great tires on kijiji.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5671 posts
2893 upvotes
Winnipeg
how about writing a script for web scraping?
I am sure there are RFDers who are capable of doing it.
Zoomer Wireless | Public Mobile | Simplii | Tangerine | CIBC
Jan 4, 2010
721 posts
440 upvotes
Waterloo
Unfortunately Kijiji is trash now with all the ads and spam. Used to be a breeze. I have bought used summer and winters on Kijiji for a steal, you just gotta consistent and have a little luck.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2011 posts
1600 upvotes
Toronto
I got a crazy deal on my All Season tires this year.

Got a set of 4 x Michelin 215/60/R16 tires on NISSAN RIMS for $160.

I live in Downtown Toronto and had to drive almost an hour north to King City but it was too amazing of an offer to pass up.

Everyone else on Kijiji was selling tires on Nissan Rims for $400-$600.

I went there, I met with the girl that was selling it, and she brought her boy friend and she said and just wanted the old tires gone. Tread still has like 75% of life in them. They even helped load them into my car, friendly folks up north.

Keep checking Kijiji frequently, they even have alerts that notify you when new ads are posted in specific categories