Travel

What's the big deal/hype about PEC (Prince Edward County?)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2021 1:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 18, 2007
4511 posts
470 upvotes

What's the big deal/hype about PEC (Prince Edward County?)

I've been wondering and asking some friends about this, but besides the wines (which are excellent btw), what's the big deal about Prince Edward County?
I mean, I look at it and there doesn't seem to be much going on besides wine. Yeah, I hear more and more artists are moving there and Sandbanks is supposedly nice (I'm not a beach person so, it's "meh" to me) but as far as I can tell, it's like like pretty much any other part of southern Ontario: flat (about exciting as Saskatchewan, but at least they have the auroras), minimal elevation (lake on the mountain is a massive lie) and humid in the summers.

IMO, the county is a nice place to visit for a day trip for wine, but not much else.

Not meant to be a a putdown, but honestly what am I missing here?
43 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6800 posts
3088 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Only had a short 1-nt visit in an RV in the earlier part of May and was only/primarily there for the wine (Closson Chase specifically). Can't say there was much appeal otherwise but that may be all relative to where you're coming from. It might be heaven on earth to someone from downtown Toronto or suburban Mississauga (or Calgary).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2891 posts
1601 upvotes
Ottawa
With border closed and city amenities closed it's one of the better current options. More than that yeah it's nothing spectacular.
Sr. Member
Jan 7, 2013
776 posts
433 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Lots of craft breweries popping up in the area too. If wine isn't your thing.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
16735 posts
5294 upvotes
London
It's suppose to be a relaxing place that's away from the beaten track (401 corridor). It represents a different lifestyle vs. a place like Grand Bend or Muskoka / traditional cottage country
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 18, 2007
4511 posts
470 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Only had a short 1-nt visit in an RV in the earlier part of May and was only/primarily there for the wine (Closson Chase specifically). Can't say there was much appeal otherwise but that may be all relative to where you're coming from. It might be heaven on earth to someone from downtown Toronto or suburban Mississauga (or Calgary).
Heaven on earth? Ouch... maybe if you're comparing it to a UN camp...
(ok an exaggeration..), but if you're in Calgary, I'd MUCH rather spend my times in the Rockies...
fogetmylogin wrote: With border closed and city amenities closed it's one of the better current options. More than that yeah it's nothing spectacular.
Really?
I don't know... I don't think it's THAT bad yet, despite the lockdowns.

But at least I'm not the only one that's "meh" about the area.
Shaidin wrote: Lots of craft breweries popping up in the area too. If wine isn't your thing.
Actually, I enjoy the wines very much.
That's why I asked, besides a wine trip, what's the big deal?
Not everyone that goes there is into wines.
l69norm wrote: It's suppose to be a relaxing place that's away from the beaten track (401 corridor). It represents a different lifestyle vs. a place like Grand Bend or Muskoka / traditional cottage country
Maybe because I'm not a cottage person, but seems the same to me at cottage country.

I've been a few times for wine trips, but when driving around, I'm always wondering, what am I missing? Why all the hype? (besides the wines of course)
I've heard it compared to Sonoma (Niagara being Napa) and if anything, Sonoma is closer to Niagara, albeit without the gorgeous coast.

Maybe this is one of those things I just don't get? Neutral FaceBlack Question Mark Ornament
Sr. Member
Mar 8, 2004
619 posts
412 upvotes
Kanata
To me it's simply a matter of what you enjoy. I know people who don't like to travel far for their vacation and this is all they might want to do.

I personally prefer doing other things on my vacations but this area is good for weekend trips to get away where you can't go too far.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
9114 posts
2081 upvotes
Vancouver
IceBlueShoes wrote: Heaven on earth? Ouch... maybe if you're comparing it to a UN camp...
(ok an exaggeration..), but if you're in Calgary, I'd MUCH rather spend my times in the Rockies...

Really?
I don't know... I don't think it's THAT bad yet, despite the lockdowns.

But at least I'm not the only one that's "meh" about the area.

Actually, I enjoy the wines very much.
That's why I asked, besides a wine trip, what's the big deal?
Not everyone that goes there is into wines.

Maybe because I'm not a cottage person, but seems the same to me at cottage country.

I've been a few times for wine trips, but when driving around, I'm always wondering, what am I missing? Why all the hype? (besides the wines of course)
I've heard it compared to Sonoma (Niagara being Napa) and if anything, Sonoma is closer to Niagara, albeit without the gorgeous coast.

Maybe this is one of those things I just don't get? Neutral FaceBlack Question Mark Ornament
Not into beach
Not into wine
Not into cottage.

PEC is a nice little slice of Ontario but yeah it’s not mind blowing. With your attitude id reverse the question. What is it that motivates or interests you? I do think the big appeal is the shallow nature of the beach. Allows families to let their kids enjoy with less worry.

I think part of the appeal is airbnb around that are walking distance to winery or brew pubs and restaurants.

Also boat launching in the great lakes. Let me guess you’re not a boat guy
Autocorrect sucks
Sr. Member
Jul 20, 2012
703 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
A friend of mine is retired and bought a place 5 years ago. Their new place is twice the size from the house they sold in Toronto. Now he says real estate is climbing because people from the GTA are heading that way. It's nice out there, very laid back lots of small towns with good hidden eating spots (before COVID).
When I visit we eat where the locals go not the GTA crowd.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 18, 2007
4511 posts
470 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: Not into beach
Not into wine
Not into cottage.

PEC is a nice little slice of Ontario but yeah it’s not mind blowing. With your attitude id reverse the question. What is it that motivates or interests you? I do think the big appeal is the shallow nature of the beach. Allows families to let their kids enjoy with less worry.

I think part of the appeal is airbnb around that are walking distance to winery or brew pubs and restaurants.

Also boat launching in the great lakes. Let me guess you’re not a boat guy
Haha... def not a boat guy.
But I am a wine guy. I love the Okanagan and the scenery. Yes, it's pricey there, but at least the scenery justifies it. I love the southern Okanagan scenery so much I want to buy property there.

I know people who go often and they make it out to be this big deal (they enjoy wine but they're not that serious about it) so they'll visit a winery or 2 and that's pretty much it, but wine isn't the main reason they visit.
I just don't get it, but maybe it's just not for me.

And the wineries aren't THAT close that you can walk.
Maybe in the town there's a few but I've admittedly never bothered to stay over since I've never seen the appeal to it.

But your point about the beach is something I had never considered. Not that I'm a beach guy, but I understand your point.
Brian71 wrote: A friend of mine is retired and bought a place 5 years ago. Their new place is twice the size from the house they sold in Toronto. Now he says real estate is climbing because people from the GTA are heading that way. It's nice out there, very laid back lots of small towns with good hidden eating spots (before COVID).
When I visit we eat where the locals go not the GTA crowd.
Housing prices is insane I've read. I did have a family member who was looking at buying a place there but changed their mind. Who knows, had they bought, maybe I would've spent more time there and had it grow on me.

What got me thinking about all this, is that I need to go there for a few days for a volunteer thing, but when I was looking up prices of hotels, they're insane. airbnb's are also crazy. And this is midweek
I may just end up driving back and forth the 2 days to Toronto since it'll still be much cheaper than staying there.

With that being said, I do enjoy visiting tabersnack lol
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
9114 posts
2081 upvotes
Vancouver
IceBlueShoes wrote: Haha... def not a boat guy.
But I am a wine guy. I love the Okanagan and the scenery. Yes, it's pricey there, but at least the scenery justifies it. I love the southern Okanagan scenery so much I want to buy property there.

I know people who go often and they make it out to be this big deal (they enjoy wine but they're not that serious about it) so they'll visit a winery or 2 and that's pretty much it, but wine isn't the main reason they visit.
I just don't get it, but maybe it's just not for me.

And the wineries aren't THAT close that you can walk.
Maybe in the town there's a few but I've admittedly never bothered to stay over since I've never seen the appeal to it.

But your point about the beach is something I had never considered. Not that I'm a beach guy, but I understand your point.
Sounds like you need to move to BC. Not sure any Ontario little towns going to tickle your fancy if the okanagan is your standard.

Having a winery brew pub and restaurant even two of the three walking distance from airbnb (not all are in town) is something you don’t always get. Small towns take DUI pretty serious so there is an appeal of a night away get wasted and walk home no worries type of romantic get away. One night get wined up next night chill with some beers. As for people raving about it can’t knock people for being happy.

My buddy bought A house in PEC that he airbnb out about 5 years ago and he barely gets to use it it’s so popular. One winery nearby by a brew pub restaurant and a boat launch all close by and his guests often rave about that. Not sure how he’s doing with COVID but he likes the property himself.

However the shallow beach and campground is what makes it famous. Wasaga and Georgia. Bay is closer and also shallow but I think the campground and town size adds to it’s famousness
Autocorrect sucks
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 18, 2007
4511 posts
470 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: Sounds like you need to move to BC. Not sure any Ontario little towns going to tickle your fancy if the okanagan is your standard.

Having a winery brew pub and restaurant even two of the three walking distance from airbnb (not all are in town) is something you don’t always get. Small towns take DUI pretty serious so there is an appeal of a night away get wasted and walk home no worries type of romantic get away. One night get wined up next night chill with some beers. As for people raving about it can’t knock people for being happy.

My buddy bought A house in PEC that he airbnb out about 5 years ago and he barely gets to use it it’s so popular. One winery nearby by a brew pub restaurant and a boat launch all close by and his guests often rave about that. Not sure how he’s doing with COVID but he likes the property himself.

However the shallow beach and campground is what makes it famous. Wasaga and Georgia. Bay is closer and also shallow but I think the campground and town size adds to it’s famousness
Maybe PEC is lost on me then. I'm not trying to poop all over it, but I really don't get it. To each their own though.

Not saying I don't believe you on the walkable winery, I've just never seen it, but I've never really been one to get hammered at wine tastings.
I've only ever seen 2 sets of wineries that were within walking distance of each other, although I suppose just about anything is walkable if you really want to get there.

And yes, long term goal is to move to the Okanagan. The scenery is no comparison, but the wines from both areas are very good.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 31, 2008
12219 posts
2432 upvotes
Toronto
The water is warmer. Vicinity to TO. That land of time forgotten feel in some spots. The wineries are eclectic from bigger, more pristine ones to ones where you feel like you're off in a barn. For many city folks, that's unique.

Water is warmer too in general I find for the beaches and lakes. Toronto beaches lake Ontario water is cold.

Being off 401. What other options are there for this province really for people into that stuff? Blue Mountain? Wasaga? Niagara? I'm not totally into the area but can see why ppl got into it.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3522 posts
2518 upvotes
Toronto
Avoid it at all costs on weekends. It's a zoo.

There are enough people in the GTA for each person to go once, never go back and the place will still be crawling with tourists.

I cottage an hour north and have been there once in 10 years. Would never bother with it again. Better off north of the 401 frankly - head up to Perth, Sharbot Lake etc.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6070 posts
2935 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b wrote: The water is warmer. Vicinity to TO. That land of time forgotten feel in some spots. The wineries are eclectic from bigger, more pristine ones to ones where you feel like you're off in a barn. For many city folks, that's unique.

Water is warmer too in general I find for the beaches and lakes. Toronto beaches lake Ontario water is cold.

Being off 401. What other options are there for this province really for people into that stuff? Blue Mountain? Wasaga? Niagara? I'm not totally into the area but can see why ppl got into it.
I agree with this. Basically, it's not heaven on earth, it's heaven compared to Toronto (for some people). If you can travel anywhere and do anything, then yeah, PEC probably isn't going to be high on your list for most people. But if you only have a weekend to get away, or you want to move out of the city but still need to commute in a couple times a month, that's a different question.

It's pretty nice and also near Toronto, and that combination is rare, that's the draw.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1941 posts
583 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
It is just about green and blue, regardless you are beach person or not.
Honestly sand bank and Bruce peninsula are indeed the two best area I want to visit every summer. PEC offer a bit winery country driving off 401 and sand bank beach; Bruce peninsula is pure clear water and winding lake shore road, I guess that's enough hype.

I won't invest cottage anywhere in Ontario, not saying they are not good, but prefer to exploring Ontario-> Canada-> NA-> world rather than sit in one spot.
<No Anti-Liberal political content in signatures>
Member
Nov 26, 2012
351 posts
354 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b wrote: The water is warmer. Vicinity to TO. That land of time forgotten feel in some spots. The wineries are eclectic from bigger, more pristine ones to ones where you feel like you're off in a barn. For many city folks, that's unique.

Water is warmer too in general I find for the beaches and lakes. Toronto beaches lake Ontario water is cold.

Being off 401. What other options are there for this province really for people into that stuff? Blue Mountain? Wasaga? Niagara? I'm not totally into the area but can see why ppl got into it.
Agree with this 100%. It's just a place to go for an extra long weekend that is close to GTA. And it's still cheaper than Muskoka....

PEC is not some iconic or amazing vacation destination with some stunning vistas or sites. lol.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 18, 2007
4511 posts
470 upvotes
at1212b wrote: The water is warmer. Vicinity to TO. That land of time forgotten feel in some spots. The wineries are eclectic from bigger, more pristine ones to ones where you feel like you're off in a barn. For many city folks, that's unique.

Water is warmer too in general I find for the beaches and lakes. Toronto beaches lake Ontario water is cold.

Being off 401. What other options are there for this province really for people into that stuff? Blue Mountain? Wasaga? Niagara? I'm not totally into the area but can see why ppl got into it.
I find that pathetically sad.
I guess I'm spoiled? Then again, I've prioritized travel.
napoleonbot wrote: It is just about green and blue, regardless you are beach person or not.
Honestly sand bank and Bruce peninsula are indeed the two best area I want to visit every summer. PEC offer a bit winery country driving off 401 and sand bank beach; Bruce peninsula is pure clear water and winding lake shore road, I guess that's enough hype.

I won't invest cottage anywhere in Ontario, not saying they are not good, but prefer to exploring Ontario-> Canada-> NA-> world rather than sit in one spot.
Don't think I've ever been to Bruce Peninsula. Wouldn't mind checking it out even if there is no wine.

I'd heard before that there are no "ugly" wine regions.. while sort of true... PEC nothing major. "meh" to me, but like I said, I think it might be because I've been spoiled.
niche54 wrote: Agree with this 100%. It's just a place to go for an extra long weekend that is close to GTA. And it's still cheaper than Muskoka....

PEC is not some iconic or amazing vacation destination with some stunning vistas or sites. lol.
I agree.
That's why I was wondering, if maybe I was missing something.
Seems the consensus is that besides the wines, the area as a whole is a consolation prize at best. lol

And no, this wasn't a put down thread, I was honestly wondering if maybe I'd missed something the times I've been.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 31, 2008
12219 posts
2432 upvotes
Toronto
IceBlueShoes wrote: I find that pathetically sad.
I guess I'm spoiled? Then again, I've prioritized travel.

Don't think I've ever been to Bruce Peninsula. Wouldn't mind checking it out even if there is no wine.

I'd heard before that there are no "ugly" wine regions.. while sort of true... PEC nothing major. "meh" to me, but like I said, I think it might be because I've been spoiled.

I agree.
That's why I was wondering, if maybe I was missing something.
Seems the consensus is that besides the wines, the area as a whole is a consolation prize at best. lol

And no, this wasn't a put down thread, I was honestly wondering if maybe I'd missed something the times I've been.
Well, ppl 110 years ago before WW1 barely travelled within a few miles outside of their home. When they did, it was shocking and mesmerizing. That person may have died way happier and in awe then a global traveller today always looking for that next 'hit' of the travel drug.

Another example, I did a road trip to key West around 2000 during university with 2 friends. It was amazing since we didn't have GPS, used CAA map to get around Florida. We had no idea what to expect, didn't even have a place to stay planned. Figured we could find something there. The highway over water was mesmerizing. I thought I was in space. I talked about that experience for a long time. My friend and I remembered how it was a 'y' on the road and one way vs the other was so different.

Fast forward to about 2012, did a trip with a buddy. With GPS. Plus, I was more travelled. When I went back, it just wasn't the same. Google images already made everything seem blah, GPS already had our mind at the destination and more focused on Expected time of arrival. We could see the bending of the highways. Airbnb was also secured already and was in communication with our host.

Basically it's perception and expectations. Also derived from experience.

I'm sure there's someone out there who would laugh at your travel experiences, including not taking private jets to secluded islands.

But yes, travel and cost to have any vacation within Canada is very high.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 18, 2007
4511 posts
470 upvotes
at1212b wrote: Well, ppl 110 years ago before WW1 barely travelled within a few miles outside of their home. When they did, it was shocking and mesmerizing. That person may have died way happier and in awe then a global traveller today always looking for that next 'hit' of the travel drug.

Another example, I did a road trip to key West around 2000 during university with 2 friends. It was amazing since we didn't have GPS, used CAA map to get around Florida. We had no idea what to expect, didn't even have a place to stay planned. Figured we could find something there. The highway over water was mesmerizing. I thought I was in space. I talked about that experience for a long time. My friend and I remembered how it was a 'y' on the road and one way vs the other was so different.

Fast forward to about 2012, did a trip with a buddy. With GPS. Plus, I was more travelled. When I went back, it just wasn't the same. Google images already made everything seem blah, GPS already had our mind at the destination and more focused on Expected time of arrival. We could see the bending of the highways. Airbnb was also secured already and was in communication with our host.

Basically it's perception and expectations. Also derived from experience.

I'm sure there's someone out there who would laugh at your travel experiences, including not taking private jets to secluded islands.

But yes, travel and cost to have any vacation within Canada is very high.
Of course things have changed over the past century.
And you're right, there are plenty of people that would say my travel is rather tame.

Thanks goodness for flyer rewards points!

Top