Fitness and Nutrition

What's a cheap rain jacket that will withstand heavy rain for 2 hours on bikes?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2019 2:12 am
[OP]
Mar 24, 2017
123 posts
20 upvotes

What's a cheap rain jacket that will withstand heavy rain for 2 hours on bikes?

Is Goretex/specialized rain jacket really the only option for this?
Of the costly waterproof jackets I have had, water eventually seeps through after 0.5 ~ 1 hour anyway

I had seen duck/rubber material for shoes, but I am not sure if I really want to wear a jacket made of that material, it's gonna be a sweat bucket inside.
7 replies
Nov 10, 2019
179 posts
137 upvotes
Probably not the cheapest but this works great for outdoors activities and an alternative to goretex stuff. Not sure if they have in store but you can check if there's BF deals. This material has worked great for me cycling outdoors. You can also check out cycling stores, they carry really light rain jackets for cycling that go for around $150-200

Lululemon
Nov 15, 2011
213 posts
215 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Columbia outdry ex. Much cheaper than goretex and depending on who you ask just as or more waterproof than goretex. It isn't pretty though since the waterproof membrane is on the outside so it can look like you are wearing a garage bag.
[OP]
Mar 24, 2017
123 posts
20 upvotes
What about sub 100? what are my options?
Apr 9, 2012
454 posts
341 upvotes
AccountID wrote: Is Goretex/specialized rain jacket really the only option for this?
Of the costly waterproof jackets I have had, water eventually seeps through after 0.5 ~ 1 hour anyway

I had seen duck/rubber material for shoes, but I am not sure if I really want to wear a jacket made of that material, it's gonna be a sweat bucket inside.
IME decades of experience NOTHING will keep you dry, cheap nor expensive, as you also create humidity from the inside, which you've probably experienced on a nice warm dry day with activity that creates body heat. GoreTex & that type of product is 99% marketing hype in terms of keeping you dry. These are ALL "sweat buckets". Yes it could keep rain out, but these "fabrics" breathe out SO SLOWLY & with such SMALL VOLUME that you will still end up being wet but from the inside. Do NOT drink the breathability Kool Aid marketing hype, they may help if you are standing still, but as mentioned, so will any waterproof fabric such as a garbage bag. Ask for any sales person to PROVE WITH EVIDENCE the breathability & rate of breathing out that they are trying to sell. The problem is how much you are expecting to move while being outdoors & so how much body moisture you create which simply cannot evaporate especially if the ambient humidity outside your waterproof jacket is 90-100% or rain. Water trying to get outside a barrier to keep you dry, will be slowed down to the extreme by the ambient humidity / rain, even if the voodoo of GoreTex etc., actually worked. So you still get wet.

On super wet days, don't go out if you want to stay dry, work out inside where you can sweat but not become hypothermic.
Banned
Dec 1, 2019
2 posts
Google REI shop, got their raincoat a few years ago. Wery satisfied with it!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9710 posts
11449 upvotes
Vancouver
Invest the money and get a proper Gore-Tex jacket. When I started year-round cycling in 1995, I cheaped out and bought a $35 rubber raincoat, they type construction traffic flaggers use. It was awful. So I spent the $200 on a MEC Bernoulli jacket. It last 15 years of daily use whenever it rained, which in Vancouver is a LOT. Cost me $13/year averaged out. Cheap. After it wore out I replaced it with a $300 Gore-Tex cycling jacket from Taiga. Had it for 8 years now; still holding strong. Seriously, the proper clothing can make all the difference between being miserable and enjoying your rainy bike commute. I like to compare it to swimming. If you're going to swim 40 laps, you need a proper swimsuit. Wear your jeans instead and you're going to be miserable.