• Oct 21st, 2019 8:43 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 21, 2018
179 posts
62 upvotes

whats considered an ideal corner lot

Hello,

I just bought a corner lot which has about 7000 sqft. The indoor area of the house is about 5300 sqft not including the size of the double indoor garage. The house is located on a pretty quiet block with a stop sign on the long side of my lot, only people who live in my area will drive by. The front door of the house is on the short side of the corner lot, which faces south and the long side of the house is my garage, which faces east. My entire house has fence surrounded, however, the distance between the garage door to my gate is not long enough for the length of a car when the gate is closed. I think this is because we can't build the gate too close to the road. That being said, both sides of my corner lot do not have sidewalks, which I heard is a good thing but not sure. I have uploaded a pic of my house and please let me know if you think my house is considered a good corner lot.

thanks.
Last edited by vincentwjev on Oct 18th, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
38 replies
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
757 upvotes
Ontario
Not even sure what you're trying to ask really. Is this a humble brag attempt?
Jan 22, 2018
118 posts
60 upvotes
you bought it for 2.1mil LOL what a terrible deal.
[OP]
Dec 21, 2018
179 posts
62 upvotes
no just asking to see if the corner lot i got is a good corner lot or not cuz i have heard pros and cons
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5740 posts
3570 upvotes
Not a fan of corner lots myself. But having no sidewalk is a good thing.
[OP]
Dec 21, 2018
179 posts
62 upvotes
thanks for the reply. after buying this house i kinda regretted not buying a non corner lot home on my block which was just sold for 60k more last month. the disadvantage I find about the corner lot is that the front driveway is usually smaller. obviously, my land is smaller too but i feel like corner lot looks better when driving by since two sides of building are displayed and also corner lot is much rarer
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8126 posts
3914 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
All depends on the situation. I had a corner lot with a century-old house in east Van less than half the size of yours. Liked it because the lot was elevated compared to other houses on the other 3 corners so had a fine view of the north shore mountains (even the basement suite had a fine view once we put in a window). It was the usual grid and wasn't a road people generally used except to get to the main roads so traffic was o.k.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Dec 21, 2018
179 posts
62 upvotes
nice. however as you can see my ground isnt elevated i dont mind. from the pics, do you think the lot i have is a good corner lot considering there is no sidewalks, or how the floorplan of the house is built?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6409 posts
5789 upvotes
OP - you already bought the house, stop second guessing yourself or having regrets it does not serve you in any productive way. You're taking away from enjoying your home. Moreover, you have provided house prices but not locations or other pertinent details which is just asking for idiotic and juvenile responses like post #3, which is just going to add to your anxiety.

There is a reason why you a) looked at the house to begin with b) made an offer and c) decided to go with the purchase. Trust yourself and just go with the flow - stop worrying about the OPINIONS of others that are just founded on their own world view, not facts.

If it makes any difference, to me corner house = one less neighbour to deal with. Checkout all the threads on here about neighbour conflicts, it's nasty. The only con I have heard about a corner house is that people cut through the lawn but since there's no sidewalk that shouldn't be an issue. If it is, you could always plant some hedges or a low wooden fence.

Again, enjoy the house and stop creating problems for yourself where there aren't any.
Last edited by hierophant on Oct 18th, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 7, 2008
721 posts
192 upvotes
Leask
Your house is substantially nicer than the house around you.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8126 posts
3914 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
My concern is not the immediate neighboring houses look ugly but they too will be torn down for something new. Dust and noise for the next year +. Ugh.

Watch out if yellow tape and boarding go around the trees on the public right of way.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
818 upvotes
Waterloo
vincentwjev wrote: thanks for the reply. after buying this house i kinda regretted not buying a non corner lot home on my block which was just sold for 60k more last month. the disadvantage I find about the corner lot is that the front driveway is usually smaller. obviously, my land is smaller too but i feel like corner lot looks better when driving by since two sides of building are displayed and also corner lot is much rarer
There is no advantage for a corner lot that I see. I used to think they were better, but over the years I see definite disadvantage in them. Quite often they are larger than regular lots, but once you get over the measurements you realize that because they have two sides open to the street they actualy have less usable backyards than regular lots.

If street parking is allowed , you do get more parking on the street. But for me its not a huge advantage.
Depending on the locality, if you have to clean the sidewalks, its an absolute killer. to have to clean and maintain two front yards instead of one.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3670 posts
831 upvotes
Hamilton
I have a corner lot, backyard is/feels twice as big as anyone else’s. plus the sidewalk is only on the front of the house, they didn’t wrap it down the side. Plus front door is on the side with no neighbour, so not seeing anyone directly beside us when sitting on the front porch is nice.
[OP]
Dec 21, 2018
179 posts
62 upvotes
the corner lot i got does not have side walks on each side though
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5740 posts
3570 upvotes
hierophant wrote: OP - you already bought the house, stop second guessing yourself or having regrets it does not serve you in any productive way. You're taking away from enjoying your home. Moreover, you have provided house prices but not locations or other pertinent details which is just asking for idiotic and juvenile responses like post #3, which is just going to add to your anxiety.

There is a reason why you a) looked at the house to begin with b) made an offer and c) decided to go with the purchase. Trust yourself and just go with the flow - stop worrying about the OPINIONS of others that are just founded on their own world view, not facts.

Again, enjoy the house and stop creating problems for yourself where there aren't any.
This. It’s a beautiful house. Enjoy it.

Can’t please everyone anyway. Especially on RFD.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4212 posts
3336 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
t3359 wrote: Where’d the photos go?

bjl
Ya, really! Pics or it didn't happen.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
18767 posts
18325 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Corners lots are generally not desirable. But at least you don’t have sidewalks which will help with dog shit and garbage.
May 28, 2007
442 posts
187 upvotes
Peterborough
We are on a corner lot, i have 2 driveways which is awsome. We never have to do the morning shuffle. No sidewalk either.
[OP]
Dec 21, 2018
179 posts
62 upvotes
what do you mean by 2 drive way? like drive way from both sides of the corner or double car width driveway on one side?