PC & Video Games

What's the deal with Fortnite obsession - horrible game!

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2019 8:56 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5856 posts
1757 upvotes
Thornhill

What's the deal with Fortnite obsession - horrible game!

I've been hearing about fortnite for a long time and I decided to try it. I almost puked. Graphics is from 1995, really weird. I gave it a shot for 1 hour and deleted it. Then tried PUBG and I was stunned right away how amazing the graphics is as well as controls and game play( tried it for 30 min on my phone then downloaded it as a console emulator game for PC. Sooooooo much better yet not as popular. Just don't understand people at all! Why play garbage? Why not settle for something so much better?!
I use voice typing and rarely read what I typed...
37 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
336 upvotes
In another world
I don't play it, but my son does.
The obsession? Dunno... it's a straight and plain colourful FPS, attractive to most boys and men... plus it's free.
About the graphics.... have you played WoW? Not fancy graphics but the contents and complexity make the game so much attractive.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5303 posts
955 upvotes
calgary
Agreed, You should check out minecraft if you want a game that's both popular and high quality.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5653 posts
5037 upvotes
dazz wrote: I've been hearing about fortnite for a long time and I decided to try it. I almost puked. Graphics is from 1995, really weird. I gave it a shot for 1 hour and deleted it. Then tried PUBG and I was stunned right away how amazing the graphics is as well as controls and game play( tried it for 30 min on my phone then downloaded it as a console emulator game for PC. Sooooooo much better yet not as popular. Just don't understand people at all! Why play garbage? Why not settle for something so much better?!
It's free... Kids have no income...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8440 posts
2848 upvotes
Not sure if Backpack Kid or Fortnite made "flossing" mainstream.
Backpack Kid invented the dance but Fortnite really expanded its reach.

Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4229 posts
1254 upvotes
Toronto
dazz wrote: I've been hearing about fortnite for a long time and I decided to try it. I almost puked. Graphics is from 1995, really weird. I gave it a shot for 1 hour and deleted it. Then tried PUBG and I was stunned right away how amazing the graphics is as well as controls and game play( tried it for 30 min on my phone then downloaded it as a console emulator game for PC. Sooooooo much better yet not as popular. Just don't understand people at all! Why play garbage? Why not settle for something so much better?!
Some reasons why kids might like it:
  • It's free
  • It's available on most gaming platforms, for free
  • It runs well on any system, including mobile, and it costs nothing
  • Celebrities play it and stream it for free
  • Lots of meme-worthy dances/actions/moments that don't cost anyone anything
  • Easy to jump into, fast paced, and the learning curve isn't steep
  • It costs nothing to play
  • Epic actually does a good job at keeping it fresh, with new updates and wacky modes
  • Oh... and it's free.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2242 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
As others have said, free makes a huge difference. Free means not having to ask your parents for a gift - a surprisingly uncomfortable thing to do for kids, believe it or not. Free means everybody from the rich kid in class who buys all the latest toys to the poor one who just has an age old laptop handmedown can join in. Then it becomes water fountain conversation, so everybody has to try it or be left out.

It's also why a game of ice hockey is generally harder to organise between kids than driveway basketball. Or tag.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8440 posts
2848 upvotes
Soccer is probably the most popular sport worldwide partly because it requires the least amount of equipment to setup.
Just about anything can be used as a substitute for goal posts.

Basketball requires a backboard and hoop. Contact ice hockey requires the most expensive equipment.

BYan wrote: As others have said, free makes a huge difference. Free means not having to ask your parents for a gift - a surprisingly uncomfortable thing to do for kids, believe it or not. Free means everybody from the rich kid in class who buys all the latest toys to the poor one who just has an age old laptop handmedown can join in. Then it becomes water fountain conversation, so everybody has to try it or be left out.

It's also why a game of ice hockey is generally harder to organise between kids than driveway basketball. Or tag.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2242 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote: Soccer is probably the most popular sport worldwide partly because it requires the least amount of equipment to setup.
Just about anything can be used as a substitute for goal posts.
Lol for sure. I remember my friends and I used to use jackets. Four jackets and an empty patch of grass was all that was needed besides the ball. Then there'd be arguments over whether a shot hit the 'goal post' which was really empty air, and all that great nonsense. Point being, fortnite isn't really an adults game by design. It basically colourful computer tag, which is why it got as big as it did.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5856 posts
1757 upvotes
Thornhill
SpicYMchaggis wrote: Agreed, You should check out minecraft if you want a game that's both popular and high quality.
lol... I vomited when I played minecraft. I wasted 2 hours of my life on that POS that is beyond stupid with graphics from 1991. Game is beyond stupid so it's another obsession I don't understand.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5856 posts
1757 upvotes
Thornhill
M1GOmigs wrote: Some reasons why kids might like it:
  • It's free
  • It's available on most gaming platforms, for free
  • It runs well on any system, including mobile, and it costs nothing
  • Celebrities play it and stream it for free
  • Lots of meme-worthy dances/actions/moments that don't cost anyone anything
  • Easy to jump into, fast paced, and the learning curve isn't steep
  • It costs nothing to play
  • Epic actually does a good job at keeping it fresh, with new updates and wacky modes
  • Oh... and it's free.
So it's PUBG and dozens of other games - all free with MUCH better graphics, content,etc. This is why I don't understand it at all.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4229 posts
1254 upvotes
Toronto
dazz wrote: So it's PUBG and dozens of other games - all free with MUCH better graphics, content,etc. This is why I don't understand it at all.
PUBG is actually not free on PC, and until more recently, it was horrendously optimized for PC and then XBox One. I still prefer it over Fortnite, but they coexist and the masses prefer Fortnite.

And if you're playing an emulated mobile version of PUBG on a PC, then I don't even know what we're doing here...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12186 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
to each there own i guess, honestly the concept is interesting where you can build to protect yourself. If you ever seen some high level gameplays, it blows my mind how fast people can build and accurately.

What turns me off from the game is the graphics and the player base consisting of a lot of kids. Also doesn't help that i suck at the game.

Out of all the battle royals games out there apex, battlefield, black ops, and etc i find PUBG my favourite. Not saying PUBG is perfect as it has its own list of problems but something i like playing.
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure

3000th post Dec 28 07 9:58pm
10,000 post Jan 17 2011 9:45pm
Jan 29, 2013
746 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
dazz wrote: lol... I vomited when I played minecraft. I wasted 2 hours of my life on that POS that is beyond stupid with graphics from 1991. Game is beyond stupid so it's another obsession I don't understand.
So basically only graphics matter to you, I guess. Minecraft has been lauded for allowing a fantastic sandbox for kids (and adults) to build in and be creative in. For many people realistic graphics are not the only requirement for what constitutes a "good game". Btw, Fortnite is not my cup of tea either, but I don't hate on people who enjoy it and its gameplay.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2228 posts
1296 upvotes
I tried fornite a couple of times and I don’t like it either.

In saying that, I do understand why one (especially kids) would like it.

I do like PUBG and played it a little bit around the time it was ‘officially’ released on PC.

I did quite enjoy Radical Heights and it’s 80s theme although that was short lived.