PC & Video Games

What's the deal with Fortnite obsession - horrible game!

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2019 8:56 am
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4396 posts
1358 upvotes
Toronto
PUBG definitely provides the most tension out of all the Battle Royale games. Taking players out and dying actually feel way more meaningful than any of the other BR games, and the final circle moments are way more memorable, more anxiety inducing, and more satisfying than the others.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5673 posts
5067 upvotes
dazz wrote: So it's PUBG and dozens of other games - all free with MUCH better graphics, content,etc. This is why I don't understand it at all.
It's not some big mystery... Kids are playing the game because it's fun.

Regardless of content / graphics, "fun" is what sells games.

Nintendo has succeeded over the decades, with very little change in the types and genres of games they release. The majority of their games are not focused on producing the best graphics...People still play the original NES versions of games like Mario/Zelda/Tetris, even competitively, to this day.

There's a reason that people are still playing StarCraft after 20+ years, yet nobody plays Crysis or Far Cry, even though they had the best graphics and content of their times.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 10, 2004
5990 posts
1871 upvotes
Thornhill
M1GOmigs wrote: PUBG is actually not free on PC, and until more recently, it was horrendously optimized for PC and then XBox One. I still prefer it over Fortnite, but they coexist and the masses prefer Fortnite.

And if you're playing an emulated mobile version of PUBG on a PC, then I don't even know what we're doing here...

Well, what's wrong with emulator use for the game?? It's the same, you should try it before commenting....
I certainly have no issues. I am not getting 4K graphics,but that's ok. It's ultra fast, controls are easy and in the 5 days I played it I got to be one of the top 100 in Canada. Unless you like building, while shooting, it by far the better of the 2.
Masses prefer Fortnite because of massive monetanization of the game, celebrities, media, turnaments,etc. From the research I did, it was nicely marketed.
Last edited by dazz on Apr 3rd, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I use voice typing and rarely read what I typed...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 10, 2004
5990 posts
1871 upvotes
Thornhill
qualdoth wrote: So basically only graphics matter to you, I guess. Minecraft has been lauded for allowing a fantastic sandbox for kids (and adults) to build in and be creative in. For many people realistic graphics are not the only requirement for what constitutes a "good game". Btw, Fortnite is not my cup of tea either, but I don't hate on people who enjoy it and its gameplay.
I am not hating on people who play it. I am hating on the games which aren't very interesting IMHO at all. I know a bunch of kids who like both games and I don't understand it at all and they can't even answer why they like it. A few sad they like it because everyone else likes them and plays them so they want to fit in... I guess that's the main reason of success of these games!!!

And yes, I want my eyes to be pleased when I play. Graphics from a 8-bit era is not enough for me any longer.
I use voice typing and rarely read what I typed...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 10, 2004
5990 posts
1871 upvotes
Thornhill
superfresh89 wrote: It's not some big mystery... Kids are playing the game because it's fun.

Regardless of content / graphics, "fun" is what sells games.

Nintendo has succeeded over the decades, with very little change in the types and genres of games they release. The majority of their games are not focused on producing the best graphics...People still play the original NES versions of games like Mario/Zelda/Tetris, even competitively, to this day.

There's a reason that people are still playing StarCraft after 20+ years, yet nobody plays Crysis or Far Cry, even though they had the best graphics and content of their times.
I believe it's more than that. Sure fun is part of it,but it's more if you dig dipper. Kids who I asked said everyone else plays them so they do it too to be able to fit in and talk with those "everyone else". This is like Kardashians - popular because they are popular... Or iphones... lol
As for NES games and such, I played those over the years on and off for a bit to remember the glory days of 8/16 bit consoles so I am not against those and understand it.
I use voice typing and rarely read what I typed...
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4396 posts
1358 upvotes
Toronto
dazz wrote: Well, what's wrong with emulator use for the game?? It's the same, you should try it before commenting....
I certainly have no issues. I am not getting 4K graphics,but that's ok. It's ultra fast, controls are easy and in the 5 days I played it I got to be one of the top 100 in Canada. Unless you like building, while shooting, it by far the better of the 2.
Masses prefer Fortnite because of massive monetanization of the game, celebrities, media, turnaments,etc. From the research I did, it was nicely marketed.
You realize that you got to be "one of the top 100 in Canada" by playing on a PC with mouse/keyboard support on a monitor against a bunch of kids who are playing on their phones, right? That's why I'm commenting about emulating a mobile multiplayer game on a PC... Would you actually pay the $40 to buy the PC version?
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5673 posts
5067 upvotes
dazz wrote: I believe it's more than that. Sure fun is part of it,but it's more if you dig dipper. Kids who I asked said everyone else plays them so they do it too to be able to fit in and talk with those "everyone else". This is like Kardashians - popular because they are popular... Or iphones... lol
As for NES games and such, I played those over the years on and off for a bit to remember the glory days of 8/16 bit consoles so I am not against those and understand it.
The social aspect also contributes to the how fun a game is. Sometimes, it's fun just to be a part of something that your friends are also doing. It's the whole reason why multiplayer games are so succesful. WoW would be boring as heck without other people to play with / form guilds / raid / etc.

Maybe, as adults, we just don't have that social side of Fortnite and Minecraft... and that's probably why it's not much fun for us.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 10, 2004
5990 posts
1871 upvotes
Thornhill
M1GOmigs wrote: You realize that you got to be "one of the top 100 in Canada" by playing on a PC with mouse/keyboard support on a monitor against a bunch of kids who are playing on their phones, right? That's why I'm commenting about emulating a mobile multiplayer game on a PC... Would you actually pay the $40 to buy the PC version?
Actually you are wrong here again.
Emulators are playing against emulators and not who play on phones... There's a message when you are logging in stating that. A few who I played with also confirmed that as they were also using various emulators.
I would not pay $40 for this game as it is already free for me. I can see no benefit of paying $40 just so I can use the "official PC version. I also haven't purchased any games ever :)
I use voice typing and rarely read what I typed...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7937 posts
4551 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: You realize that you got to be "one of the top 100 in Canada" by playing on a PC with mouse/keyboard support on a monitor against a bunch of kids who are playing on their phones, right? That's why I'm commenting about emulating a mobile multiplayer game on a PC... Would you actually pay the $40 to buy the PC version?
lol the mobile version also fills half or more the lobby with AI bots. This is almost certainly a troll post or literally the most inept person I've ever seen in a gaming forum. I'm assuming troll after his latest post and don't understand why anyone is responding to this seriously. Mods should remove terrible threads like this
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 22, 2016
2388 posts
601 upvotes
Ontario
Fortnite is fun. I play it with my kids. Its a simple game but the best part is you all start off equal and have the same chance to find a weapon. It the tier system and challenges that keep it popular. Its also one of the few games you can play on every system.

Fortnite will be remembered as one of the games that changed gaming forever. No other free game as made as much money and changed the industry like it has.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 10, 2004
5990 posts
1871 upvotes
Thornhill
ReeGee wrote: lol the mobile version also fills half or more the lobby with AI bots. This is almost certainly a troll post or literally the most inept person I've ever seen in a gaming forum. I'm assuming troll after his latest post and don't understand why anyone is responding to this seriously. Mods should remove terrible threads like this
Kid, go play with your toys and let adults talk. When you grow up, you can join intelligent conversations such as this.
I use voice typing and rarely read what I typed...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 10, 2004
5990 posts
1871 upvotes
Thornhill
webshark wrote: Fortnite will be remembered as one of the games that changed gaming forever. No other free game as made as much money and changed the industry like it has.
That's another thing I just don't get. I didn't play fortnite for too long to see how and where the money are spent but in PUBG it seems all you get are various costumes and I am amazed at the amount of $$ people spend on all that just so they look pretty to others... I may be missing something. in PUBG I am being given some simple attire but I haven't worn anything and I think I am the only naked person out there running around past certain level
I use voice typing and rarely read what I typed...
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
webshark wrote: Fortnite is fun. I play it with my kids. Its a simple game but the best part is you all start off equal and have the same chance to find a weapon. It the tier system and challenges that keep it popular. Its also one of the few games you can play on every system.

Fortnite will be remembered as one of the games that changed gaming forever. No other free game as made as much money and changed the industry like it has.
+1
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
does anybody play the "arena" ? i am stuck at division 6 (back and forth 225 to 235 points) … no "Champion League" for me … lol …
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 4, 2009
976 posts
133 upvotes
Mississauga area
Well, I heard about Fortnite a while ago but never bothered with it.

Thank you OP for bringing it back to my attention. I downloaded it a few nights ago and played a few games and I rather enjoyed it. The biggest selling point for me was that the game is FREE! My main game genre is MMORPG but I've been burnt out on it from years of playing, starting with Ultima Online.

The game is great if you have 15 minutes to spare here or there, and you don't have to invest ANYTHING to it. Everyone starts out the same, everything you pay for is cosmetics. Kind of reminds me of Left For Dead with a little Minecraft mixed in.

Would I pay for it? I don't think its in the league of the average $50 for a game, but I might throw a few bucks at it if I play the game for more than a few weeks, just to get a character skin since I hate the random ones you get.

Top