Cell Phones

What's the deal with inconsistent online claims about NFC support on Huawei phones (ie: P30 Lite)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2020 7:37 am
[OP]
Dec 18, 2013
337 posts
181 upvotes
Vancouver

What's the deal with inconsistent online claims about NFC support on Huawei phones (ie: P30 Lite)

I'm wanting to pull the trigger on a Huawei P30 Lite (or some mid-range phone, Huawei preferred), but I'd quite like to have NFC and it's completely unclear whether this phone (or any Huawei phone) supports NFC payments.

From most of the online forum conversations I've read (and some online specs or retail listings), this phone does not support NFC.

But then also, there are plenty of places that claim that it does! One such example is this:

https://www.bluebite.com/nfc/android-nfc-compatibility

Or here: https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_p30_lite-9545.php

It says: "NFC: Yes - MAR-L21MEA, MAR-LX1M only"....suggesting that certain models do support NFC.

Does anyone know:
  • why the online information is so inconsistent?
  • if this phone does or does not support NFC (for sure!)
  • if there may be models that do (global version maybe?)
  • if some other mid-range (price-wise & features) phone does (preferably Huawei, but also any other brands)?
  • Anyone know what (trustworthy) website might actually carry the MAR-L21MEA, MAR-LX1M models?

TIA
6 replies
Apr 17, 2014
945 posts
361 upvotes
Corunna, ON
I can tell you I got the Lite from the Zoomer thread deal and it DID NOT have NFC. Sold the phone because of it.

Not sure why people like it so much. My 2 and half year old LG G6 is still a better phone.

Way better camera and screen on the LG.
Apr 17, 2014
945 posts
361 upvotes
Corunna, ON
On eBay You can get a good price on "new" in box. LG phones from 2 or 3 years ago and they are way better.

LG V30, V35 G7.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18865 posts
8511 upvotes
Oakville
Why the inconsistency? A couple reasons:

- Copy-paste creation of pages (ie creating one page for the P30 series, cut and pasting the info for each model, and then just changing the relevant different fields... And then inevitably missing something)
- Automatic aggregation from other sites, without verifying information
- Laziness/ineptitude

As (almost) always, the best source for specifications is the manufacturer's page. Huawei's P30 Lite page makes it very clear whether or not NFC is supported:
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2011
1105 posts
270 upvotes
I believe at least in this case the issue is that the P30 Lite in some countries does have NFC but in Canada that feature was removed. Not sure why but it sucks. It was the only thing holding me back from getting it with the Zoomer plan. Ultimately I gave in though because for me at this time it's not worth the extra money just for NFC when the P30 seems like a pretty solid phone.
[OP]
Dec 18, 2013
337 posts
181 upvotes
Vancouver
strippedaway wrote: I believe at least in this case the issue is that the P30 Lite in some countries does have NFC but in Canada that feature was removed. Not sure why but it sucks. It was the only thing holding me back from getting it with the Zoomer plan. Ultimately I gave in though because for me at this time it's not worth the extra money just for NFC when the P30 seems like a pretty solid phone.
So you have one? Do you like it? I'm coming from a Huawei Mate SE (Honor 7) and I'm not too fussy.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2011
1105 posts
270 upvotes
teemaxx wrote: So you have one? Do you like it? I'm coming from a Huawei Mate SE (Honor 7) and I'm not too fussy.
I just ordered it last night so I don't have it yet. Coincidentally I've got an Honor 8 right now.