What's the difference between rainbow trout and salmon

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2020 3:21 pm
[OP]
May 22, 2019
431 posts
84 upvotes

What's the difference between rainbow trout and salmon

I always spot some grocery store selling rainbow trout and they look almost identical as salmon to me from outside.

I am just wondering what's the different between them? How to identify those differences?

The grocery store I visit sometimes only have labels in Asian characters, which makes hard to differentiate from one to the other.
25 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3365 posts
2047 upvotes
Texture of meat cooked is dry for salmon vs trout.
Maybe if you eat it raw with wasabi.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1291 posts
536 upvotes
salmon fillets seem to be thicker, where as trout seems to be much thinner.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5600 posts
1303 upvotes
it's a different fish

like asking what is the difference between beef and bison
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
1990 posts
293 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

The OP gets the down votes because he used RFD instead of Google. Like jackrabbitt00, no RFDer is going to type out a through explanation when it's already available on the internet.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4386 posts
1489 upvotes
ilovetoyota wrote: I always spot some grocery store selling rainbow trout and they look almost identical as salmon to me from outside.

I am just wondering what's the different between them? How to identify those differences?

The grocery store I visit sometimes only have labels in Asian characters, which makes hard to differentiate from one to the other.
Use Google Translate. Take a photo with your phone and the app will translate it.

Funny how we all have access to all this on our phones but its never used.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL. Polk Audio S35 - Center. Klipsch R51M - RR+RL & R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL. Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5388 posts
2373 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
jdmfishingonly wrote: Use Google Translate. Take a photo with your phone and the app will translate it.

Funny how we all have access to all this on our phones but its never used.
Some of us don't have data and (free and actually working) internet access may not be available at said supermarkets
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Some of us don't have data and (free and actually working) internet access may not be available at said supermarkets
You can pre download language packs and then use it offline.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5388 posts
2373 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
death_hawk wrote: You can pre download language packs and then use it offline.
Only works for text/ASCII input? I don't think mine work offline for voice recognition/translation and scanning/translation.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Only works for text input?
I just tested it. Turned on airplane mode and used the camera translate.
It worked just fine.
thriftshopper wrote: I don't think mine work offline for voice recognition/translation and scanning/translation.
Tested it again for offline voice/conversation mode. This doesn't work offline.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4386 posts
1489 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Some of us don't have data and (free and actually working) internet access may not be available at said supermarkets
I used it in when I was travelling in Japan with no data and it worked perfectly fine. So it's called download the language pack when you have access to wifi. It will work offline.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL. Polk Audio S35 - Center. Klipsch R51M - RR+RL & R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL. Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14128 posts
3928 upvotes
Montréal
Fraser River Rat wrote: Hi,

The OP gets the down votes because he used RFD instead of Google. Like jackrabbitt00, no RFDer is going to type out a through explanation when it's already available on the internet.
What a ridiculous comment, many things can be found via google then, why bother having a discussion forum? Just admit some ppl are just grumpy idiots w nothing constructive to add.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4361 posts
1256 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
jackrabbit000 wrote: What's with the downvotes? It's a legit question, not everyone knows the difference. Check this out OP:

https://fishingbooker.com/blog/trout-vs-salmon/
where do u see the downvotes? all i see is a thumbs up button in every box, theres no thumbs down, not sure how people give downvotes or how to check, and why it matters? just ignore them
Hi
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4463 posts
1041 upvotes
Hay guys whats the difference between donkey and zebra they look almost identical as horse to me from outside.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3881 posts
3028 upvotes
Ottawa
I always thought that the rainbow trout you see in the supermarkets is a freshwater fish vs salmon which is mainly a saltwater fish.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4361 posts
1256 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
i love both trout and salmon. both very tasty but ya i would prefer salmon cus im used to eating it for much of my life.
Hi
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4281 posts
2604 upvotes
I have no real preference. I like both trout and salmon for taste.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35830 posts
9914 upvotes
Ottawa
ziaa wrote: salmon fillets seem to be thicker, where as trout seems to be much thinner.
Isn't that determined by the size of the fish? LOL
I have caught a 8kg rainbow trout, made big fillets :)

It is difficult to tell by taste alone. Texture is slightly different (especially if either is farmed or wild) but again, unless you are a regular salmon or trout eater, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.