• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2020 3:21 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
May 22, 2019
864 posts
242 upvotes

What's the difference between rainbow trout and salmon

I always spot some grocery store selling rainbow trout and they look almost identical as salmon to me from outside.

I am just wondering what's the different between them? How to identify those differences?

The grocery store I visit sometimes only have labels in Asian characters, which makes hard to differentiate from one to the other.
Google Pixel 6 Pro 128GB
25 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4062 posts
2607 upvotes
Texture of meat cooked is dry for salmon vs trout.
Maybe if you eat it raw with wasabi.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1468 posts
703 upvotes
salmon fillets seem to be thicker, where as trout seems to be much thinner.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5706 posts
1487 upvotes
it's a different fish

like asking what is the difference between beef and bison
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2057 posts
321 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

The OP gets the down votes because he used RFD instead of Google. Like jackrabbitt00, no RFDer is going to type out a through explanation when it's already available on the internet.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5487 posts
2288 upvotes
Durham
ilovetoyota wrote: I always spot some grocery store selling rainbow trout and they look almost identical as salmon to me from outside.

I am just wondering what's the different between them? How to identify those differences?

The grocery store I visit sometimes only have labels in Asian characters, which makes hard to differentiate from one to the other.
Use Google Translate. Take a photo with your phone and the app will translate it.

Funny how we all have access to all this on our phones but its never used.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7436 posts
3465 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
jdmfishingonly wrote: Use Google Translate. Take a photo with your phone and the app will translate it.

Funny how we all have access to all this on our phones but its never used.
Some of us don't have data and (free and actually working) internet access may not be available at said supermarkets
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28174 posts
13753 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Some of us don't have data and (free and actually working) internet access may not be available at said supermarkets
You can pre download language packs and then use it offline.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7436 posts
3465 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
death_hawk wrote: You can pre download language packs and then use it offline.
Only works for text/ASCII input? I don't think mine work offline for voice recognition/translation and scanning/translation.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28174 posts
13753 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Only works for text input?
I just tested it. Turned on airplane mode and used the camera translate.
It worked just fine.
thriftshopper wrote: I don't think mine work offline for voice recognition/translation and scanning/translation.
Tested it again for offline voice/conversation mode. This doesn't work offline.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5487 posts
2288 upvotes
Durham
thriftshopper wrote: Some of us don't have data and (free and actually working) internet access may not be available at said supermarkets
I used it in when I was travelling in Japan with no data and it worked perfectly fine. So it's called download the language pack when you have access to wifi. It will work offline.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4606 upvotes
Montréal
Fraser River Rat wrote: Hi,

The OP gets the down votes because he used RFD instead of Google. Like jackrabbitt00, no RFDer is going to type out a through explanation when it's already available on the internet.
What a ridiculous comment, many things can be found via google then, why bother having a discussion forum? Just admit some ppl are just grumpy idiots w nothing constructive to add.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5840 posts
1815 upvotes
0 downvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: What's with the downvotes? It's a legit question, not everyone knows the difference. Check this out OP:

https://fishingbooker.com/blog/trout-vs-salmon/
where do u see the downvotes? all i see is a thumbs up button in every box, theres no thumbs down, not sure how people give downvotes or how to check, and why it matters? just ignore them
Hi
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4725 posts
1361 upvotes
Hay guys whats the difference between donkey and zebra they look almost identical as horse to me from outside.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3971 posts
3149 upvotes
Ottawa
I always thought that the rainbow trout you see in the supermarkets is a freshwater fish vs salmon which is mainly a saltwater fish.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5840 posts
1815 upvotes
0 downvotes
i love both trout and salmon. both very tasty but ya i would prefer salmon cus im used to eating it for much of my life.
Hi
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4612 posts
3381 upvotes
I have no real preference. I like both trout and salmon for taste.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36251 posts
10444 upvotes
Ottawa
ziaa wrote: salmon fillets seem to be thicker, where as trout seems to be much thinner.
Isn't that determined by the size of the fish? LOL
I have caught a 8kg rainbow trout, made big fillets :)

It is difficult to tell by taste alone. Texture is slightly different (especially if either is farmed or wild) but again, unless you are a regular salmon or trout eater, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.