Cell Phones

Whats the drawbacks with the ZTE Nubia Red Magic 5G?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2020 4:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
27 posts
63 upvotes

Whats the drawbacks with the ZTE Nubia Red Magic 5G?

I just saw this phone on MrWhosTheBoss's latest video and honestly the thing packs the absolute best of cutting edge technology and sounds like an absolute monster even having a 144Hz refresh rate!! Yet the price is said to be much cheaper than say Samsungs phones so what's the catch? I know it doesn't do wireless charging, MrWhosTheBoss says the HDR isn't quite there either. It even has 55w charging which probably isn't good for the battery but that's crazy. I guess no water resistance too but really, it's said to be much cheaper than Samsungs though which is my main comparison so like, what's the catch? How can this thing supposedly be much cheaper if its packing some major heat? Its definitely making me question having ordered an s20 Ultra now, maybe I'm just a clown for buying into Samsung but I'm genuinely curious about this ZTE phone.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6319 posts
1507 upvotes
Richmond Hill
depends whats more important photo vs gaming. S20U has both while Nubia has only gaming. Also, how many games are out there that supports these high refresh rates?

warranty and support probably sucks and lack of bands for the network in Canada?
Feb 9, 2020
67 posts
14 upvotes
Etobicoke
I'm actually planning on getting a gaming phone and was considering this one. I have no plan on using it for my day to day needs, just strictly for ganging with wifi.

Based on the specs and stuff, I believe this phone is just the right fit for me in terms of mobile gaming. Can anyone advise me if I should go with another brand ?

My budget isn't that high but it's around 600/700 CAD.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1268 posts
738 upvotes
Waterloo
Haven't looked at this model specifically, but generally with ZTE you're looking at two (maybe three) downsides:

1) Software support tends to be poor (old Android versions, dropped support for updated versions after a relatively short time)
2) Security concerns (Chinese partially state-owned company, had USA sanctions in the past and with all the push back on using Chinese tech and products this could be an issue going forward)
3) Warranty (basically email support only; I've seen on reddit threads people not having good experiences, while others have been able to get warranty work done with few issues - just something to be wary of)

I'm not saying you shouldn't go with it if it fits what you're looking for, just highlighting these things so you know what to expect going in.