Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2003
1435 posts
188 upvotes
George9999 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2014 6:01 am
Wheat today is a hybrid of wheat from 1950. Probably why diseases like celiac are so much more today. Here's a Dr. Oz show on topic

http://www.ctv.ca/DrOz/video.aspx?vid=283771
I also think more people are having issues with gluten because years ago food was not mass produced. Now machines make the bread and processed food we buy and machines tear the dough up easily so they have to add more gluten to the mix to keep it from tearing. Wheat high in gluten sells for a premium and there are factories that strip the gluten and sell it as a commodity. So in short we are just not used to ingesting so much gluten and some people have issues with it.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2003
1435 posts
188 upvotes
poedua wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2014 9:52 am
Actually - YES.

I'm here to ' inform ' people that if you are an otherwise healthy person, you don't need to be taking ' gluten free ' foods - and paying 2.5X more than normal foods for the privilege. And, if it turns out you THINK you may feel better by taking ' gluten free ' foods there's likely 1 of 2 things happening....1) you think you're feeling better despite the fact there is no medial / physiological reason for it ( aka the ' placebo effect ' ) or 2) you may have some gluten issues that have yet to be diagnosed.

In which case of the latter, and as CSKsmom alluded to, you need to get medical tests done to confirm if those ( or perhaps some other ) issues exist.
I have problems (mainly gastrointestinal) with wheat/gluten and my digestive system does much better without it and I have had tests and I am not celiac according to those tests. I don't pay 2.5x for gluten free stuff because there is enough regular food to eat that doesn't have gluten in it.

If you are diagnosed with celiac you can get a deduction from the federal government for the cost difference between "regular" food and its gluten free equivalent so you aren't paying 2.5 times the cost.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
putty wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2014 12:16 am
I have problems (mainly gastrointestinal) with wheat/gluten and my digestive system does much better without it and I have had tests and I am not celiac according to those tests. I don't pay 2.5x for gluten free stuff because there is enough regular food to eat that doesn't have gluten in it.

If you are diagnosed with celiac you can get a deduction from the federal government for the cost difference between "regular" food and its gluten free equivalent so you aren't paying 2.5 times the cost.
You don't have to have Celic disease per se in order to have a physiological issue with gluten - i.e you could simply have a gluten intolerance / sensitivity ...aka....NCGS ( non-celiac gluten sensitivity )
putty wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2014 12:07 am
I also think more people are having issues with gluten because years ago food was not mass produced. Now machines make the bread and processed food we buy and machines tear the dough up easily so they have to add more gluten to the mix to keep it from tearing. Wheat high in gluten sells for a premium and there are factories that strip the gluten and sell it as a commodity. So in short we are just not used to ingesting so much gluten and some people have issues with it.
Maybe. Maybe not.

I think there's a lot of ' detection bias ' at play here as well - i.e the more aware and concerned people are about any issue in health care, the more people go looking for it - and as a result - the greater tendency for people to find it.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Aug 16, 2010
438 posts
152 upvotes
Langley, BC
I heard that the bakery companies are using higher gluten flours because they are easier to work with
so breads now have more gluten than they used to.

I also feel better if I do not eat too much bread, or pizza, or pasta...or corn
I think some of the food guidelines/food pyramid are silly and have far too much of certain things that certain industries would like sell more
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
fred koenig wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2014 3:25 pm
I heard that the bakery companies are using higher gluten flours because they are easier to work with
so breads now have more gluten than they used to.

I also feel better if I do not eat too much bread, or pizza, or pasta...or corn
I think some of the food guidelines/food pyramid are silly and have far too much of certain things that certain industries would like sell more
And on the ' flip side ' ......' gluten free ' bread and baked goods don't retain their shape and softness as well when they bake, so, companies are using ' additives ' like xanthum gum, hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose, corn starch etc. to help in that regard - not to mention added sugar and fat to enhance the taste of ' gluten free ' products.,
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!