• Jul 25th, 2021 2:37 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3014 upvotes

What's going on with this OPP officer? Minden Ontario

OPP officer around Minden Ontario... it happened September last year.

The officer is being recorded, and eventually slaps the phone off the motorist's hands. Hard. Twice.

Officer doesn't like being recorded. He knows he cannot stop it, but he really hates it.

At the end, no ticket was given. But the phone was broken.

Formal complain was filed, the OPP did nothing...

The title of the video says everything, "You Couldn't Treat A Man This Way Without The Badge"

Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3272 posts
2152 upvotes
Markham
You don't fight the charges on the spot. You fight it in court.
Being an @sshole to the cop will not do you good. Don't walk within an arm's reach to the cop unless you are being requested to do so.
[OP]
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3014 upvotes
BDSL wrote: You don't fight the charges on the spot. You fight it in court.
Being an @sshole to the cop will not do you good. Don't walk within an arm's reach to the cop unless you are being requested to do so.
I agree with you. BUT the cop is the one who got close.

45 second of the video, motorist is making video of the plate.
He turns around, and now cop is right behind him.

Cops hit him. Phone goes flying.

The motorist is 'known to the police' (conviction for growing cannabis before it became legal).

Cop should not be doing his job based on grudges.
7055 upvotes
Toronto, ON
In situation like this, you keep the camera rolling and smile as you are about to get a huge payday from the taxpayers of Ontario.
[OP]
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3014 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: In situation like this, you keep the camera rolling and smile as you are about to get a huge payday from the taxpayers of Ontario.
Unfortunately, there is no payday in Ont (or anywhere in Canada).

https://thehighlander.ca/2020/09/25/man ... isconduct/
Snelgrove said he submitted a complaint to the Office of the Independent Police Review Director (OIPRD), an independent civilian agency that addresses public complaints against police.

Close to 1 year later, nothing.
7205 posts
9217 upvotes
The NORTH
Can't you sue the officer in small claims court for the price of the phone that was damaged as well as 'emotional distress'?

An honest question.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17714 posts
15812 upvotes
GTA, ON
kr0zet wrote: Can't you sue the officer in small claims court for the price of the phone that was damaged as well as 'emotional distress'?

An honest question.
Destruction of property - mischief to property under $5000
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3014 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: Can't you sue the officer in small claims court for the price of the phone that was damaged as well as 'emotional distress'?

An honest question.
I do not know for sure. Technically yes, but I have never heard of anyone doing it.

I understand judges in ontario can say "I don't have jurisdiction over this matter" and then you would be forced to search for other court (criminal?).

In other words, an action in small claims court against the OPP may be "bounced off" by the court, redirected to other places.

And that is the problem. There is no accountability. And too much power in the hands of people who misuse it on a regular basis.
1473 upvotes
Looks like they have a long history that this video doesn't display.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4432 posts
1529 upvotes
Brampton
Isnt it illegal to record a person without their consent?
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2017
1100 posts
1473 upvotes
prod wrote: Isnt it illegal to record a person without their consent?
Public place. Nothing you can do.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17714 posts
15812 upvotes
GTA, ON
prod wrote: Isnt it illegal to record a person without their consent?
It is not illegal to film the police. Sure they'd like you to believe it is illegal, that way the bad apple cops can continue to be rotten.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3014 upvotes
In a public place, there is no expectation of privacy.

Media lawyer Peter Jacobsen, board member for the Canadian Journalists for Free Expression, explains:

"Yes, it’s legal to record police officers in Canada
There is no law prohibiting taking video of uniformed police and, in fact, Pen Canada states that officers who prevent people from recording them are violating charter rights.

As long as you aren’t interfering with a police officer’s duties, you’re within your rights to film or take photos, Jacobsen said. Obstructing an officer is a criminal charge and may lead to jail time or a fine. Stopping an arrest or destroying evidence would also fall under this."
2152 upvotes
Markham
oilerfan89 wrote: Looks like they have a long history that this video doesn't display.
Exactly....people post on social media a 5 min video clip but don't show the entire 15-20min footage.
Context is missing here.

That is why I am skeptic about things I see on social media....
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6906 posts
4492 upvotes
Toronto
motomondo wrote: Unfortunately, there is no payday in Ont (or anywhere in Canada).

https://thehighlander.ca/2020/09/25/man ... isconduct/

Close to 1 year later, nothing.
Not enough racist remarks or deaths by rcmp or local police to have huge impact like our southern friends across the border.

Last one was over 10 years ago with the stapler incident and result was undisclosed settlement and rcmp who used taser went to jail.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2808 posts
2313 upvotes
Never argue and always be polite and you won't have any issues. Argue in court.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3272 posts
2152 upvotes
Markham
LoANeal wrote: Never argue and always be polite and you won't have any issues. Argue in court.
Exactly. I don't get why people keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2995 posts
4311 upvotes
Barrie, ON
er34er34 wrote: In situation like this, you keep the camera rolling and smile as you are about to get a huge payday from the taxpayers of Ontario.
In what dreamland do you live in?
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2017
1100 posts
1473 upvotes
mxthor3 wrote: In what dreamland do you live in?
Some dreamworld where people get paid in a lawsuit after being complete cucks to the cops. Face With Tears Of Joy I was honestly hoping the cop would slap him around a bit after listening to the audio.