Investing

Whats going on with TD "Streamlining" their Mutual Funds?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2021 4:30 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 8, 2019
310 posts
382 upvotes

Whats going on with TD "Streamlining" their Mutual Funds?

TD just sent me a letter that they are "streamlining" their mutual funds? what does that mean?

The letter does not really explain anything. I was hoping to read more about it on the TD website but there is nothing.

Basically, I am buying TD mutual funds through EasyWeb. Now I got a letter that "we are streamlining our TD Mutual Funds". There is not much other explanation about which funds and what it means.

Any ideas?
I own a service with Public Mobile and with Fido. [removed solicitation]
4 replies
Dec 3, 2019
188 posts
151 upvotes
This happens all the time in the mutual fund industry.

Most common reason is the fund is under-performing so let's close it and roll the money into a fund that is doing better.
There are some other reasons like manager changes, mergers, tax changes etc. but above is the by far most common.

This is called "survivor-ship bias". Companies close poor performing funds so based on their existing line up the bank's overall mutual fund performance looks better.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2174 posts
2656 upvotes
There is discussion about it in this thread which specifically relates to the e series (this may or may not be relevant to you). I've been told by TD that I'll be able to keep my account as is with the existing purchase plan and also I'll also be able to buy and sell funds. The Customer Service Rep told me that people won't be able to open a new account and buy the e series.

td-e-series-funds-megathread-post-all-y ... #p34987007
[OP]
Jun 8, 2019
310 posts
382 upvotes
For example, the TD Science and Technology fund, is that considered a third-party fund? will it remain?
I own a service with Public Mobile and with Fido. [removed solicitation]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2174 posts
2656 upvotes
roedoe wrote: For example, the TD Science and Technology fund, is that considered a third-party fund? will it remain?
Your probably going to have to call them to get the accurate answer to that. Its pretty quick if you call through the TD App.