Computers & Electronics

what's a good gaming router that you recommend?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2021 6:44 pm
[OP]
Oct 11, 2013
589 posts
375 upvotes
Toronto

what's a good gaming router that you recommend?

Hey guys my Asus RT ac86u 2.4ghz band just died and I have a feeling that the 5g will go as well. It kept saying channel current:0 and I've factory reset turned on and off the band signal but still nothing. I'm wondering what would be the next gaming router to purchase. Should I go with Nighthawk or stick with Asus?
4 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29059 posts
14596 upvotes
I like my pfSense. Need an AP though. I typically like Unifi but apparently TP-Link Omadas are also pretty good.

My buddy has a Nighthawk mesh and it's a pain in the ass. The wireless drops all the time and you can't separate out 2.4 and 5Ghz so my stupid Quest always picks 2.4.

There's a reason I don't use consumer grade crap.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13108 posts
4709 upvotes
Ontario
Stick with Asus however I would hard wire (cat6) your computer if you want the best connection possible, especially if you are gaming where it matters more.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6264 posts
2902 upvotes
Durham
JasonA591 wrote: Hey guys my Asus RT ac86u 2.4ghz band just died and I have a feeling that the 5g will go as well. It kept saying channel current:0 and I've factory reset turned on and off the band signal but still nothing. I'm wondering what would be the next gaming router to purchase. Should I go with Nighthawk or stick with Asus?
https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-gaming-routers
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2