Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 10, 2012
80 posts
20 upvotes
London

what's a good price for a 3DS XL?

I got one for $168 no tax at the RCSS event. Worth keeping? My daughter still plays her DSlite, but was wanting to upgrade for her bday. Or should I hold out for the new version?
8 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10867 posts
725 upvotes
Scarborough
sush01 wrote: I got one for $168 no tax at the RCSS event. Worth keeping? My daughter still plays her DSlite, but was wanting to upgrade for her bday. Or should I hold out for the new version?
Maybe.

The new version is out already although its a $100 more after tax and wouldn't be of benefit to your daughter. Since its a birthday gift, I would probably keep it but if you spend enough time, you can get a used one for cheaper if you look hard enough.
Nov 29, 2011
968 posts
344 upvotes
Milton
The best price has been the sporadic Shopper's price of $129, but I don't know if they still do that or still carry it. For under $150 all-in, I picked up one last October by PMing at Target to get the colour I wanted (SDM only had blue and red).

The new 3DS has better 3D (it tracks your eyes), a bit faster, has a C-stick (right-hand thumb stick) and has some exclusive games (so far, only Xenoblade Chronicles as I understand).

Either way, even the 'old' 3DS XL is still a great device, and all the "classic" franchises have games for it, including DK Country, Mario Kart, New Mario Bros, Mario '3D', Yoshi's Island, Mario Party, Mario Golf, Pokemon, Professor Layton, etc etc. You can watch Netflix on it, and it has all the wireless capabilities you'd expect, many of which I think were on the DSLite.

So unless your daughter is going to be upset she can't play Xenoblade or something, and you're fine spending another $100 to get the new one, I'd say the 'old' 3DS XL is fine.
[OP]
Mar 10, 2012
80 posts
20 upvotes
London
Hmm, I have until the 16th to return it at RCSS. I'll take a look at SDM and see what I find. I don't mind giving her a used one - what's a fair price for a used 3DS Xl?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2373 posts
619 upvotes
sush01 wrote: Hmm, I have until the 16th to return it at RCSS. I'll take a look at SDM and see what I find. I don't mind giving her a used one - what's a fair price for a used 3DS Xl?
I'll sell you mine for 100. I hardly use it. Screen protector already applied and has a protective cover case that i bought from Japan. (Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods 3ds case)
Banned
Dec 17, 2012
2084 posts
276 upvotes
TORONTO
sush01 wrote: Hmm, I have until the 16th to return it at RCSS. I'll take a look at SDM and see what I find. I don't mind giving her a used one - what's a fair price for a used 3DS Xl?
A used 3DS XL in mint condition goes at about $100.
[OP]
Mar 10, 2012
80 posts
20 upvotes
London
Thanks for your help guys! I was able to find a Mario & Luigi 3ds xl, with 4gb sd card and Animal crossing 3ds for $100. I'm pretty pleased :-)
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10867 posts
725 upvotes
Scarborough
Your daughter should enjoy the 3DS. I don't know how old she is but keep in mind the recommendations for the 3D and appropriate viewing age.

Great system with great games.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2005
2082 posts
565 upvotes
Birchmount & Ell…
I got the Mario and Luigi bundle at the Walmart anniversary sale in September for $129