Automotive

What's a good remote starter for 2015 Civic?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2021 2:02 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
37369 posts
5238 upvotes
Winnipeg

What's a good remote starter for 2015 Civic?

Automatic transmission, 1 way or 2 way, would it be easy to install or should I take it to a shop? What kind of starter would you recommend? Where to buy or which shop do you recommend?
WTB amazon gc @90%
12 replies
Member
User avatar
Jan 25, 2019
382 posts
927 upvotes
I would call Honda and see if they offer one. Aftermarket can open a can of worms and if you have problems with it, the dealership will not work on it in some cases. With the complexity of todays cars I would strongly recommend only manufacture equipment.

If you are out of warranty, and really want one... do some serious research and maybe ask the Honda service guys if they can recommend a shop and installer. The installer is as important as the starter in this case. I shudder thinking about some 25 year old cutting a factory harness.
I really do appreciate the messages I get from people asking if they can buy from me or my dealership but I am NOT here to sell anything or get deals for my dealership.
Member
Sep 8, 2008
281 posts
82 upvotes
T.O
Plenty of options typically start around $350 installed
Sr. Member
May 7, 2015
693 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Compustar 2 way, only differences is the fob.

Don’t listen fear mongerers.
Most installs have harnesses and don’t require cutting

This ain’t rocket science, and it’s only a freaking civic.

/End thread
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1568 posts
1342 upvotes
Etobicoke
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: Compustar 2 way, only differences is the fob.
/End thread
Why do people write" /End thread"...like what they say is gospel and irrefutable..
Anyways, back to the OP:
My car came with a factory installed remote starter. Used it once to see if it worked, never since. I really don't understand the advantage of one.
Last edited by xxxray on Aug 22nd, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 18, 2008
1199 posts
133 upvotes
Markham
I have the same car and have had a 2-way Compustar installed after 1st week of buying the car. Have had 0 issues. I had it installed at Auto Links in Scarborough.
Sr. Member
May 7, 2015
693 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto, ON
xxxray wrote: Why do people write" /End thread"...like what they say is gospel and irrefutable..
because it is.

ill wait to see if anyone refutes me. I noticed you didnt.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
37369 posts
5238 upvotes
Winnipeg
mzkaye729 wrote: I have the same car and have had a 2-way Compustar installed after 1st week of buying the car. Have had 0 issues. I had it installed at Auto Links in Scarborough.
I'm not in Ontario but how much did it cost you for parts and labor total?
WTB amazon gc @90%
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
37369 posts
5238 upvotes
Winnipeg
CodyLun wrote: I would call Honda and see if they offer one. Aftermarket can open a can of worms and if you have problems with it, the dealership will not work on it in some cases. With the complexity of todays cars I would strongly recommend only manufacture equipment.

If you are out of warranty, and really want one... do some serious research and maybe ask the Honda service guys if they can recommend a shop and installer. The installer is as important as the starter in this case. I shudder thinking about some 25 year old cutting a factory harness.
actually i did some research and i could install it myself, but the part is $340 alone which seems steep.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07Q4C1HGZ/ref ... automotive
WTB amazon gc @90%
Member
User avatar
Jan 25, 2019
382 posts
927 upvotes
divx wrote: actually i did some research and i could install it myself, but the part is $340 alone which seems steep.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07Q4C1HGZ/ref ... automotive
Seems like an okay system, How are you with automotive wiring? If you have a nice clear wiring diagram it should be easy to do, go nice and slow. I used these to wire things on my motorcycles https://www.posi-products.com/ and I recommend them, you can revert back to stock if needed. Take lots of photos with your phone before you start wiring so you can check back if needed

I am not sure if the price is good or not, but quality is worth paying a bit more for.

Even though d[...] says its just a Civic, i don't want you to have any issues later on as I have seen load of them at our service department from aftermarket items. On the flipside the Civic is popular so there should be youtube videos and lots of installers with experience working on them.

Did you check if Honda offers a factory system? I only ask because Toyota use to sell long range remote starts for $800 (rip off) and recently had a sale for $280 for Camrys installed.

Good luck
Last edited by Mars2012 on Aug 22nd, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed inappropriate content
I really do appreciate the messages I get from people asking if they can buy from me or my dealership but I am NOT here to sell anything or get deals for my dealership.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9965 posts
7896 upvotes
Kootenays
divx wrote: actually i did some research and i could install it myself, but the part is $340 alone which seems steep.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07Q4C1HGZ/ref ... automotive
We went through a similar search last year cost-supply-install-remote-start-2419774/ and ended up with getting Visions to supply and install. $460 all-in. Sales usually start in the fall, especially around Black Friday. I was hesitant to DIY because I was still under warranty and it had to be "professionally installed." That and it was for my wife's car.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 18, 2008
1199 posts
133 upvotes
Markham
Hmm, it's been 6+ years so I apologize I do not recall for sure. $400 comes to mind for (Compustar) parts and labor. To be honest, I am not sure if the push start vs. key start makes a difference in price ?

Good luck ! Looks like you're trying the DIY route !! I don't have the guts anymore to install anything having to do with electrical wiring after my last failure (on a different car).

I also don't know if options have become cheaper over the years but as I mentioned, I haven't had a problem with mine so I'm good w/ what I got installed. The 2-way makes a difference for me; can start it from my work building (even though I can't see my car) and I'll know it started based on audible feedback. I had 1-way before on an older car but prefer the 2-way starter now that I've been exposed to it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
37369 posts
5238 upvotes
Winnipeg
CodyLun wrote: Seems like an okay system, How are you with automotive wiring? If you have a nice clear wiring diagram it should be easy to do, go nice and slow. I used these to wire things on my motorcycles https://www.posi-products.com/ and I recommend them, you can revert back to stock if needed. Take lots of photos with your phone before you start wiring so you can check back if needed
I am not sure if the price is good or not, but quality is worth paying a bit more for.
Even though d[...] says its just a Civic, i don't want you to have any issues later on as I have seen load of them at our service department from aftermarket items. On the flipside the Civic is popular so there should be youtube videos and lots of installers with experience working on them.
Did you check if Honda offers a factory system? I only ask because Toyota use to sell long range remote starts for $800 (rip off) and recently had a sale for $280 for Camrys installed.
Good luck
Checked with honda dealer already, they don't do remote starter intallation. I'm fine with wiring, I used to offer service here for modchip installation.
smacd wrote: We went through a similar search last year cost-supply-install-remote-start-2419774/ and ended up with getting Visions to supply and install. $460 all-in. Sales usually start in the fall, especially around Black Friday. I was hesitant to DIY because I was still under warranty and it had to be "professionally installed." That and it was for my wife's car.
Professional installation is fine, I just need the wiring diagram, and I know where it is.
mzkaye729 wrote: Hmm, it's been 6+ years so I apologize I do not recall for sure. $400 comes to mind for (Compustar) parts and labor. To be honest, I am not sure if the push start vs. key start makes a difference in price ?
Good luck ! Looks like you're trying the DIY route !! I don't have the guts anymore to install anything having to do with electrical wiring after my last failure (on a different car).
I also don't know if options have become cheaper over the years but as I mentioned, I haven't had a problem with mine so I'm good w/ what I got installed. The 2-way makes a difference for me; can start it from my work building (even though I can't see my car) and I'll know it started based on audible feedback. I had 1-way before on an older car but prefer the 2-way starter now that I've been exposed to it.
Thanks, I expect it to be easier than the wiring harness replacement for the door that I just did a week ago.
WTB amazon gc @90%

Top