Art and Photography

What's a good website for displaying your photos?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2020 8:55 am
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
333 posts
69 upvotes
Canada

What's a good website for displaying your photos?

Need something that:
Allows at least 1920 x 1080 resolution (some compress).

Offers remote hosting so I can just embed a link on to a website and the thumbnail is displayed and if there's much traffic it won't affect my bandwidth.

Good folder organization (probably almost all offer this).

I need to sell a bunch of things and find Kijiji's photos very poor in quality, plus they only allow 10 per ad. Plus I'd like to draw people off the Kijiji website as soon as possible. Normally I include a phone number people can call/text me on but with this I can't send more than one photo at a time. Very constricting. With email I can send piles and they're not compressed as long as I'm out of the Kijiji messaging system. That's vital actually. Kijiji really hampers you. The key is to set up a simple text based website (with thumbnails for photos and videos which are handled well by YouTube). Its a work in progress.

Any recommendations/tips most welcome. We all have tons of stuff we no longer use and should get rid of.

What is REALLY needed is a search based website for used items in your area that screens out all the parasite dealers that litter Kijiji and Craigslist. That would be a dream. As if we want to see dealers when we go to Kijiji. That's the whole premise of the site: Used items from private sellers! It could scan Kijiji, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, even Ebay for local items. Then it could alert you with RSS when something is posted so you don't have to continually scan it day after day. Set up your search and wait.....what a dream.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1785 posts
1042 upvotes
I've been using Flickr for these purposes for years. These days a free account lets you share up to 1000 images (at different sizes and quality, including the original size/quality). Make sure the copyright is not set to "All rights reserved" (or you won't be able to share hi-res versions of the image).
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
333 posts
69 upvotes
Canada
Can non-members of Flickr see full resolution photos using just an URL?
They have a really lousy search system. Doesn't work properly. They are constantly trying to suggest words. Can't stand that. Treats you like you're 5 years old. Which is wrong because I'm 6 now. I know its a trend.....just further dumbing down of society. Ironic that the word dumbing isn't in my browser's dictionary.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1785 posts
1042 upvotes
Yes, as long you don't make the copyright too restrictive. You can also embed direct links to your Flikr photos (you have a choice of sizes) into other websites - I've been using this for years.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
333 posts
69 upvotes
Canada
pulsar123 wrote: Yes, as long you don't make the copyright too restrictive. You can also embed direct links to your Flikr photos (you have a choice of sizes) into other websites - I've been using this for years.
That sounds pretty good. And one photo can be part of a subfolder that can be a part of another subfolder? Do they limit the number of subfolders? I want people to be drawn in to seeing lots of items. Basically a magnet pulling people from forsale websites!
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1785 posts
1042 upvotes
Flickr doesn't have a concept of folders. But with the ability to embed your images directly you can organize that yourself. Flickr does allow you to organize your photos into "Albums" (sort of a single-level folder) and "Collections" (apparently allows a hierarchy of "folders"), you can look into that.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
333 posts
69 upvotes
Canada
Tried to sign up but they didn't accept me. Of course they don't tell you why. I inquired. Probably will take weeks to respond and that will probably be some form letter that gives very useful advice like "Please see Help on the website". Don't ya just love the faceless help in 2020! Flickr looks like a fail. Way too corporate.

I'm going to look for others. Google Photos is another option but I'd prefer if my folders were integrated into my URL address. Its nice to be able to navigate by the URL, bypassing the manipulation of the website. I guess I could remote host on my website and manage the URL's/folders that way but that sounds like a lot of work when you're constantly changing photos. Need to rethink this.

Another thing I've noticed that many websites are doing is taking over the right click menu. This can have huge advantages as you can then do things like create/rename/delete folders without wading through endless menus. Microsoft does this at OneDrive.Live.com. It can be custom tailored to that particular page's needs. This is definitely the future.

Cloudinary is a site that has lots of restrictions. It seems to be more geared for the pro/commercial user.
https://cloudinary.com/pricing-2020-b?u ... ord_update

Dropbox has a max of 2gb. That can probably be used up pretty fast.

The quest continues!
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1785 posts
1042 upvotes
How about running your own web server? Then you'll have all the flexibility you need. I've been running one for years, first Abyss (free version), then open source Apache. With a Canadian domain costing ~20$ per year, and a free DDNS client (e.g. Dynu), this can be a very cost-efficient solution.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4357 posts
1379 upvotes
Vancouver
MichaelZZZ wrote: They have a really lousy search system. Doesn't work properly. They are constantly trying to suggest words. Can't stand that. Treats you like you're 5 years old. Which is wrong because I'm 6 now. I know its a trend.....just further dumbing down of society. Ironic that the word dumbing isn't in my browser's dictionary.
Eh? what are you searching for that is so complicated? I never see word suggestions.

I have no issues with Flickr search. It has been my go to site for years for finding images from specific cameras. The one thing that has changed in Flickr is they seem to have taken away the specific camera search page that they used to have though typing in "camera" brings up a drop down list that has the "Camera Finder" page in it. Not the same as what they used to have. Yet, typing in a model number still brings up all the images where that model has been captured in the EXIF info.

You can refine/limit the search to Photos, People, or Groups and then sort them by Relevant, Date Uploaded, Date Taken, and Interesting. Interesting is one of my favourite options - it finds some fantastic images.

At first I thought maybe it is because you are trying to search the site without a registered account - free or paid. I tried accessing and searching the site from a browser that I have never used to log into Flickr (and have no script blocker on) and again I had no issues with various searches. Aircraft, spitfire, roses, birds, evergreens, ever greens, naked people - the search brought up exactly what I expected to see and very quickly.

[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
333 posts
69 upvotes
Canada
pulsar123 wrote: How about running your own web server? Then you'll have all the flexibility you need. I've been running one for years, first Abyss (free version), then open source Apache. With a Canadian domain costing ~20$ per year, and a free DDNS client (e.g. Dynu), this can be a very cost-efficient solution.
I don't have the time probably to learn what is needed. Been a simple Windows user most of my life. Also it requires a computer to be on all the time. I suppose it doesn't require much power so the power draw would be low but still after a while it does add up. I love the indapedence of it though. Especially with a mail server as well. But I've heard even that is quite complex.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
333 posts
69 upvotes
Canada
> Eh? what are you searching for that is so complicated? I never see word suggestions.

Just start typing anything popular and they will pop up. You should be able to disable them. Gruesome sites like Facebook would never allow the user any control at all. Flickr falls into that camp unfortunately.

> the search brought up exactly what I expected to see and very quickly.

I'll try again.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4357 posts
1379 upvotes
Vancouver
MichaelZZZ wrote: > Eh? what are you searching for that is so complicated? I never see word suggestions.

Just start typing anything popular and they will pop up. You should be able to disable them. Gruesome sites like Facebook would never allow the user any control at all. Flickr falls into that camp unfortunately.
I haven't got a clue what you are speaking of. Beats me. *shrug* I've typed all kinds of words into the Flickr search field and nothing pops up other than the option to search in Photos, People, or Groups. No word suggestions at all. ZERO.

For reference I'm using the Vivaldi browser, without any 3rd party add-ons, not logged in, etc etc. When I go to a Google Search page I see all kinds of word & phrase suggestions. But not in Flickr.

Are you sure it is not an "add-on" to the browser that you are using that is popping up the word suggestions?

Sep 10, 2007
442 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
I use SmugMug, the ‘Power’ level account, so I can at least use my own custom domain name. I’ve been using it since 2008 and worth the price, and can even customize the site adding css if wanted. Good, helpful forum community for that, and the tech Help support. I like the features which are more than sufficient (without needing the larger more expensive Business level account).
pmb

"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."
~ Henry J. Kaiser