• Apr 13th, 2021 11:19 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON

What's Intercom messenger?

From my pi-hole logs I found out that my Android phone frequently connects to mw0xltu-android.mobile-messenger.intercom.com. I am not familiar with this messenger, didn't install it. After reading about it it looks like it can be embedded into apps. Does anyone know what apps embed it? I can't figure out which app connects to that site.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
It could be one of the manufacturer specific msging apps which is using intercom's api. What brand phone do you have?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
IndyBeak wrote: It could be one of the manufacturer specific msging apps which is using intercom's api. What brand phone do you have?
It's a Google Pixel 4a.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
Thanks! There are some builtin apps like Google Calendar (that I don't use) and I never installed any other apps listed there. I am not sure about Google Analytics. I don't have as an app but it may be built in.

I will try blocking that URL and see if I lose functionality.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
I narrowed it down to the Airthings Wave app. It's the one trying to connect to Intercom. I found a mention of Intercom in Airthings' Privacy Notice. "Intercom. Data about you is processed by Intercom to provide customer support. The processing is based on our legitimate commercial interest in processing these data for this purpose."
Blocking that connection didn't change the app functionality.