Site Comments & Suggestions

What's the official RFD policy on "pre-order" items as Hot Deals?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2020 10:31 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20711 posts
14544 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

What's the official RFD policy on "pre-order" items as Hot Deals?

I posted a thread in Hot Deals about a new product that Amazon shows as "Pre order." It got moved to Expired Deals even though there was lots of interest in the item as evidenced by several pages of posts.

I asked a Mod why it got moved. The first response was the usual canned "Please read the RFD rules and if this doesn't answer your questions, please contact an administrator for assistance." I looked in the rules. There's nothing there that explains why the thread got Expired. So I asked for clarification. They said because it wasn't available.

FWIW items on pre-order are sometimes cheaper in order to drum up interest. ISTM that should qualify them as Hot Deals. In the case of the item I posted, Amazon's price on the old model is actually higher than the pre-order price on the new model. Clearly a Hot Deal. (And moreover it's useful for people to know about the new model if they're about to buy the old model.)

And yet there are currently other items listed in Hot Deals that are also only available as pre-order.

So what's RFD's official position on this?

Also if a pre-order item doesn't belong in Hot Deals then why is it moved to Expired? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to move the thread, e.g. if it's a new model of PC, then move it to the Computers & Electronics thread?

P.S. I didn't start this thread to argue the specifics on my thread. I just want to know what's the policy and, if there is one, why it seems to be applied inconsistently. Thank you.
veni, vidi, Visa
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8327 posts
3772 upvotes
Markham
I would say if pre order within two weeks till it's released it should be allowed in hot deal.longer than that, it should either in related forum or shopping discussions

Personally, I don't want to see a lot pre order deals way ahead release date

Same for back order deal, if i back order now and will get in November, it shouldn't be in hot deal. But if i can get next week, then i am fine with it
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14155 posts
26580 upvotes
Scarborough
We don't have a set in stone rule about pre-order threads. Some we'll allow, some we won't. Generally speaking if it's at any kind of discount, or includes extras or freebies only available during the pre-order period, we'll allow it.

If it's a hot product that likely will sell out, we might allow it. If it's a mass produced new product which you're just pre-ordering to get it on launch day, and includes no extras, we'll likely move it to a more appropriate forum (computers & electronics, pc and video games, cell phones, etc.).

We also factor in the direction the thread is going in. If the responses are mostly positive and there's a lot of good info being shared, it's more likely to remain in Hot Deals. If it's full of negativity and trolling, most likely it'll get moved.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20711 posts
14544 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TomRFD wrote: We don't have a set in stone rule about pre-order threads.
I've noticed ;)
If it's a mass produced new product which you're just pre-ordering to get it on launch day, and includes no extras, we'll likely move it to a more appropriate forum (computers & electronics, pc and video games, cell phones, etc.)
It did seem really odd that the thread in question was moved to Expired because it was about an item that was, at the time, only available to pre-order. The deal got "expired" before it was even available, sort of like dying even before you're born. Now that I understand that OPs can un-"Expire" their own threads this makes a lot more sense.

Thank you for the clarifications.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 8, 2020
252 posts
126 upvotes
If it's hot I would live it in , but only if clearly marked pre-order - maybe a new retailer "pre-order" in retailer list ?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14155 posts
26580 upvotes
Scarborough
reefer123 wrote: If it's hot I would live it in , but only if clearly marked pre-order - maybe a new retailer "pre-order" in retailer list ?
Generally speaking I think most people add that to the title if it is a pre-order, and our moderators will add it in if it's missing.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].