Food & Drink

Whats the secret ingredient in fried rice?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2020 4:36 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3813 posts
1550 upvotes
Scarborough

Whats the secret ingredient in fried rice?

Always been a fan of fried rice takeout and in every joint I've been to always had that one specific taste that hits your pallet.

I went online, Google, YouTube, reddit and tried everything and yet I still can't get it right.

MSG
white pepper
Sesame oil
Salt/pepper
Chicken powder
Soy sauce

Do I have the right ingredients but not putting enough of it? I also put in the typical mixed veggies, eggs, meat and scallions... but something has to be missing or not putting enough of something.
55 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13859 posts
8905 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Reused oil

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4321 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote: Always been a fan of fried rice takeout and in every joint I've been to always had that one specific taste that hits your pallet.
This is a pallet:

and this is a palette:

The word you wanted is palate.
OrangeBerry wrote: I went online, Google, YouTube, reddit and tried everything and yet I still can't get it right.
Do I have the right ingredients but not putting enough of it? I also put in the typical mixed veggies, eggs, meat and scallions... but something has to be missing or not putting enough of something.
Maybe any or all of these will help?

Rice vinegar
Mirin
Fish sauce
Ginger
Sep 29, 2008
21 posts
18 upvotes
Ottawa
Are you cooking it in a wok over high heat (i.e. imparting the fried rice with "wok hei")?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4304 posts
3086 upvotes
No secret ingredient. You have to use cold cooked rice when frying on hot heat with oil. No need for MSG or chicken powder...sounds gross TBH.
Last edited by hierophant on Dec 15th, 2020 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 4, 2020
760 posts
676 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Comedian Nigel Ng in his "Uncle Roger" persona is adament that your wok needs to be heated by fire - not an electric stove. Also, MSG is a must according to him.

I honestly have no clue - I'm a pasty white guy.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1482 posts
2103 upvotes
Ancient Chinese secrit .... Would consider a trade for government server passwords, miscellaneous classified info, patented technology, Meng Wanzhou & a case of that fancy ice wine or advice on how to score on a first date.
When you see a wall, dig a tunnel.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3813 posts
1550 upvotes
Scarborough
brainz wrote: Are you cooking it in a wok over high heat (i.e. imparting the fried rice with "wok hei")?
Using a wok over gas flame (butane high BTU) portable cooker. I know the issue isn't the heat it's the flavor profile I'm looking for.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3813 posts
1550 upvotes
Scarborough
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: This is a pallet:

and this is a palette:

The word you wanted is palate.

Maybe any or all of these will help?

Rice vinegar
Mirin
Fish sauce
Ginger
Considering both words are in the English dictionary my phone made the conscience decision of choosing that one instead while I was half asleep typing this.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2368 posts
3236 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: Comedian Nigel Ng in his "Uncle Roger" persona is adament that your wok needs to be heated by fire - not an electric stove. Also, MSG is a must according to him.

I honestly have no clue - I'm a pasty white guy.
Aye - yaaaaa.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
19670 posts
7206 upvotes
Socially Distanced
You are going to have to get a job at a restaurant that makes it and find out from experience.
I suspect its a spice blend of some kind.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
7150 posts
191 upvotes
What's missing flavor wise? Can you describe it? I'm pretty convinced it's just the high temps in a resto.
Jun 14, 2018
941 posts
1026 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Reused oil
A lot of people are probably going to read this and think it's a joke, but it's really not.

It's oil. Tons of it.
Last edited by MarinersFanatik on Dec 15th, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28929 posts
14484 upvotes
Toronto

hi heat on & off is likely one of the main factor
Apr 12, 2005
939 posts
176 upvotes
brainz wrote: Are you cooking it in a wok over high heat (i.e. imparting the fried rice with "wok hei")?
Its This

and MSG doesnt hurt
Jun 14, 2018
941 posts
1026 upvotes
booblehead wrote:

hi heat on & off is likely one of the main factor
Lol, like look at all the oil used to make that dish, first the fried rice, then the egg. That's for one serving, lmao. Oil is seriously the secret ingredient.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9577 posts
1842 upvotes
Toronto
You need to cook it in an unwashed wok that has cooked everything else in the restaurant.
Try Oyster sauce though.
And lot's of oil for sure.