Food & Drink

What's so special about a Traeger grill?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2020 6:31 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4812 posts
2941 upvotes
Milton, ON.

What's so special about a Traeger grill?

I feel like I want a traeger grill. Junior 20 would be a good size for me. But why to get one? What's so special about them? Is it just that you always get the smokey flavour? Other than the smoke, would it be the same as Weber q2400?

Advice please.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jul 23rd, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed title to reflect the topic
9 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4812 posts
2941 upvotes
Milton, ON.
I already have a dedicated Bradley smoker that I love. So other than the smoke from the pellets, why would I get one of the over a much cheaper Q2400?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2741 posts
788 upvotes
Whitby
A Traeger is the easy bake oven of smokers. Turn it on and leave it. No real "skill" to using one and you may find unless you add a smoke tube that there is not as much smoke flavour as traditional options.
There are more inexpensive options for pellet grills (PitBoss) and there are more expensive options (Yoder).

In saying all this, my next purchase will be a pellet grill in the fall (that will bring my total smoker/bbq count to 5 and i'm sure my wife will be happy to see another play toy in the backyard).
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50001 posts
14047 upvotes
ONTARIO
raymondly wrote: A Traeger is the easy bake oven of smokers. Turn it on and leave it. No real "skill" to using one and you may find unless you add a smoke tube that there is not as much smoke flavour as traditional options.
There are more inexpensive options for pellet grills (PitBoss) and there are more expensive options (Yoder).

In saying all this, my next purchase will be a pellet grill in the fall (that will bring my total smoker/bbq count to 5 and i'm sure my wife will be happy to see another play toy in the backyard).
Haha yeah.
I started off with electric smokers.
It was a good intro to smoking.
Then my bro lent me a portable charcoal grill. Just good for picnics... i simply just grilled with chicken legs over coals. I added a hand full of woodchips with The lid closed for 15 minutes... and wow already that was light years ahead in taste compared to anything i made with my electric smoker!

I switched to coal and never looked back.

They aren't so bad though. Not everyone wants to go all out. I always wanted to buy one for quick/easy smoked food.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29051 posts
14592 upvotes
raymondly wrote: A Traeger is the easy bake oven of smokers. Turn it on and leave it. No real "skill" to using one and you may find unless you add a smoke tube that there is not as much smoke flavour as traditional options.
This exactly.
Pick a temperature and it stays there.

Unlike using wood and charcoal which you have to tend quite frequently.

The downsides are exactly as listed as pellets are more a fuel source rather than a flavoring.

For me I live in a condo so I can't exactly do it at home. So I strapped a smoker to the back of my SUV and do it remotely so I kind of need idiot proof.
I can't exactly baby sit it like I would with a more traditional setup.

That said... I kind of want a house or something where I can build a full blown brick smoker.
Either that or a commercial kitchen so I can get a pressure smoker.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26720 posts
5848 upvotes
Pellets definitely do provide a smokey flavour, although it is a mild smokey flavour for sure.

If you want the flavour of charcoal but the ease of propane, check this one out
https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/gr ... ill-smoker

A pellet grill is basically an oven that also smokes your food.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4812 posts
2941 upvotes
Milton, ON.
I see. So nothing special if I already have an electric smoker that does the same thing. Just does not work like a hot oven. Also got one of those.
I guess another hyped up thing for the easy of use.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
4667 posts
1420 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Sounds like a lot of Gatekeeping going on hereWinking Face In 25 years I've gone from my Kettle, offset, cheap kamado to the one I have now.

I'm at the point where I'm strongly considering a pellet as there's really no downside. Maybe you're confusion hype with the saturation of the pellet market.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29051 posts
14592 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: I see. So nothing special if I already have an electric smoker that does the same thing. Just does not work like a hot oven. Also got one of those.
I guess another hyped up thing for the easy of use.
It can work as an oven too. You can set it for like 450F or something.
hyperactiveme wrote: Sounds like a lot of Gatekeeping going on hereWinking Face In 25 years I've gone from my Kettle, offset, cheap kamado to the one I have now.
I mean... that's kind of the nature of advice.
Multiple users have stated that they kind of suck. Would you rather us lie and have you have a terrible user experience?
I'm at the point where I'm strongly considering a pellet as there's really no downside. Maybe you're confusion hype with the saturation of the pellet market.
Lack of smoke is the big one. This can be fixed.
Mystery pellets (even by big names) are another. Rumor has it that Traeger pellets are misc woods pressed and flavored with whatever is on the bag. There are 3rd party manufacturers (that'll *GASP* VOID YOUR WARRANTY!) that do claim to use 100% whatever is on the bag so this can be fixed as well.
But you're still not getting a good deep smoke like you would with wood chunks unless you "fix" it.

Gates open. Come on in! Bring a smoke generator and some good pellets.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
4667 posts
1420 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Offset was probably the best smoker I had however now that I'm probably 70/30 grill to smoke I'm over it. Definately letting my eye out for a pellet grill and dump my keg. Or maybe just keep my keg and get a cheap vertical smoker..... Or maybe just get a temp controller for the keg Dizzy Symbol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)