• Mar 20th, 2022 7:41 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12570 upvotes
Markham

What's some best news sources for kids?

For 11 years old, what's some good news sources? To know what's going on in the world for example global warning or covid, but not too negative?

Is there something like New York Time for kids? Lol

Thanks
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
I cannot give you any sources, however I can say let the child read, just be there to offer guidance as to the quality of the information and how to survive in a world of potential negativity.

I say this because my grandson started reading general news when he was younger than that age. By the time he was 11 his vocabulary and critical thinking was closer to a 15 year old. He is now 15 and those same qualities are of a 20 year old. He prides himself in being able to be a part of adult conversations bringing to the discussion items of interest to us all. Yes, we had to help him temper the negative information but he was also able to find his own "feel good" news from all sources.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1803 posts
1303 upvotes
Toronto
Remember, children are not only innocent and curious but also optimistic and joyful and essentially happy, do not take that too soon from him.

https://news.disney.com/

Just let the kids be kids
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
I don’t know of kid specific sites. I just found with the articles and had them read it with me. This way I could still filter, and I had an idea what my kids were interested in, but they didn’t go on parts of the web I didn’t want them too. It was really odd. My oldest was in grade 4 when trump was running for POTUS, and that’s what everyone in class (adults and kids)) were talking about. Some strange things got repeated in class, so I had the rule, she couldn’t form an opinion by just repeating someone else’s, she had to research it. So she hear things from class and then at home we would research together and discuss why people though that way, or looked into policies, ect. It forced critical thinking and further research on issues. She was one of the most aware kids in the school, ended up the debate team later on. And still is on her high debate team. She loves politics, and looks forward to when leaders put out her election platforms.

My youngest, doesn’t love election platforms but is really interested in social issues, so we do the same.

My thoughts are more, just take the time to find articles with your kids, read with them, and have discussions about them. Most articles are written for a grade 5 level (that is the standard) but it’s more important to discuss.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12570 upvotes
Markham
Macx2mommy wrote: I don’t know of kid specific sites. I just found with the articles and had them read it with me. This way I could still filter, and I had an idea what my kids were interested in, but they didn’t go on parts of the web I didn’t want them too. It was really odd. My oldest was in grade 4 when trump was running for POTUS, and that’s what everyone in class (adults and kids)) were talking about. Some strange things got repeated in class, so I had the rule, she couldn’t form an opinion by just repeating someone else’s, she had to research it. So she hear things from class and then at home we would research together and discuss why people though that way, or looked into policies, ect. It forced critical thinking and further research on issues. She was one of the most aware kids in the school, ended up the debate team later on. And still is on her high debate team. She loves politics, and looks forward to when leaders put out her election platforms.

My youngest, doesn’t love election platforms but is really interested in social issues, so we do the same.

My thoughts are more, just take the time to find articles with your kids, read with them, and have discussions about them. Most articles are written for a grade 5 level (that is the standard) but it’s more important to discuss.
Thanks

That's what I am thinking. I read WSJ and globe and mail, but I am thinking subscribe New York time since it has more coverage on science and culture.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1404 posts
739 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
To add to what others have said already, it's also very important to teach them about disinformation, how to distinguish between real news from fake news, and reliable news sources. It's alarming how far things are nowadays and we've already seen friends and relatives having disagreements over something they read on Facebook for example.

Sooner or later kids will be old enough to read their own news, not news that parents have recommended or have oversight.