Automotive

What's with the sudden rise in hate for pick-up trucks?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2021 8:18 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2010 posts
1002 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Rob_EV wrote: "North York" in his profile. For him, they literally ARE the only roads that matter.
You do know you can leave the immediate area you live in right?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2010 posts
1002 upvotes
Calgary, AB
napoleonbot wrote: But it is just WRONG to be comparable to humvee.
Passenger vehicle should not be that wide, and commercial vehicle can certainly be that wide but subject to whole lot of requirement in registration,tax, and insurance.
You can't have both, like cheat in cafe rule by pretending to be a commercial vehicle, while get around notruck street and park in customer parking when the vehicle is designed to commercial spec.

I am all for personal freedom in selection of vehicle but the policy has unfair benefits towards bigtruck is the problem.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... ing-claims
If it’s wrong to compare, then why did you make the initial comparison? I was just correcting your false assertion about width...

If they shouldn’t be that wide then complain and lobby to have the 80” limit reduced to something you’re more happy with.

For many people that don’t use their vehicles commercially, the width is benefitical. You don’t need to be a contractor to benefit from the width between the wheel wells, or the overall width of the bed.
Member
User avatar
Jun 11, 2019
241 posts
233 upvotes
North York, Toronto
Rob_EV wrote: "North York" in his profile. For him, they literally ARE the only roads that matter.
Oh aren't you special.

Both Canadian highways and American interstates were designed to shuttle people from the suburbs into urban centers and back. Our roads are wide and straight. This is not some revelation.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
21467 posts
2929 upvotes
Out west
striderKan wrote: Oh aren't you special.

Both Canadian highways and American interstates were designed to shuttle people from the suburbs into urban centers and back. Our roads are wide and straight. This is not some revelation.
He actually thinks he is, check out the EV threads. Every ICE owner is wrong according to him, and the EV work in every part of Canada and the US
Jr. Member
Mar 30, 2011
165 posts
122 upvotes
I don't really care if someone drives a truck, but it's just funny cause my friend in Insurance says truck ppl are the worst to deal with because most of them can't actually afford the vehicle and bitch and complain about the value they get back if it gets written off cause they put in their little mods on the vehicle like it amounts to a significant number.

I am all for trucks as they are vital in several jobs but the ones who have one who can barely afford it should change their priorities. They are nice to drive in the open roads and rural areas but no thanks on driving it in the city, you're just asking to get scraped by some bozo who can't park a Nissan Micra.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10534 posts
4657 upvotes
Andy34 wrote: You do know you can leave the immediate area you live in right?
You can also make a general comment about the country as a whole, while only living in one location.

But as you suggested, I don't think they go far. May be too worried about the battery charge.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
46891 posts
10024 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Rembokz wrote: I don't really care if someone drives a truck, but it's just funny cause my friend in Insurance says truck ppl are the worst to deal with because most of them can't actually afford the vehicle and bitch and complain about the value they get back if it gets written off cause they put in their little mods on the vehicle like it amounts to a significant number.

I am all for trucks as they are vital in several jobs but the ones who have one who can barely afford it should change their priorities. They are nice to drive in the open roads and rural areas but no thanks on driving it in the city, you're just asking to get scraped by some bozo who can't park a Nissan Micra.
Actually… Vans make better work vehicles for the trades. Look @ europe for example. No pickups… just vans for working/trades!

Lol just being a pain in the ass. Drive whatever you want! I like seeing lifted 4x4 pickup trucks with V8’s.
Sr. Member
Sep 15, 2017
625 posts
639 upvotes
Andy34 wrote: You do know you can leave the immediate area you live in right?
Hard to explain that concept to small minded people that think they are the centre of the universe.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
21467 posts
2929 upvotes
Out west
oilerfan89 wrote: Hard to explain that concept to small minded people that think they are the centre of the universe.
I want to use this for my signature
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2010 posts
1002 upvotes
Calgary, AB
UrbanPoet wrote: Actually… Vans make better work vehicles for the trades. Look @ europe for example. No pickups… just vans for working/trades!

Lol just being a pain in the ass. Drive whatever you want! I like seeing lifted 4x4 pickup trucks with V8’s.
Yes and no. Vans can be better options, but for independent contractors pickups are quite common as they can be used as both work vehicles and family vehicles.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2010 posts
1002 upvotes
Calgary, AB
UrbanPoet wrote: What about dodge caravan as family & work vehicle.

Image
Dust and separation between the back and the front. Removing a bunch of tools to lift the mid seats up to pick up the kids is a pain in the ass. It’s far easier to have a discrete location for tools/equipment/goods and a discrete location for people. Obviously it’s personal preference though.

Also no better than many pickups from an efficiency and size POV...
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1989 posts
652 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Andy34 wrote: If it’s wrong to compare, then why did you make the initial comparison? I was just correcting your false assertion about width...
If they shouldn’t be that wide then complain and lobby to have the 80” limit reduced to something you’re more happy with.
For many people that don’t use their vehicles commercially, the width is benefitical. You don’t need to be a contractor to benefit from the width between the wheel wells, or the overall width of the bed.
The width is always beneficial, until you ask the driver park besides you.
It is wrong for F150 to be as wide to be anywhere close or "comparable" to a humvee, that's what I mean to say.

They really shouldn't be that wide, and I think the article and opinion of many posters will eventually drive change in legislation.
But fully recognize that one reason EPA let pickup truck cheat in CAFE rule by separately measure truck and car in calculation, is to save the domestic auto industry, so it gonna take time to get right.
And that's maybe partially the reason that why more people bought large pickup truck, - now you can't get spaciously built sedan - the social burden of improve fuel economy had been disproportionately bore by sedan user and maker.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 30, 2020
1136 posts
1789 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
I drive a small car and just hang out in the right lane. I find most trucks leave me alone, but they tailgate and chase other trucks in the left lane. Funny to see a bigger truck try to bully a smaller truck, or a truck of a different make.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2010 posts
1002 upvotes
Calgary, AB
napoleonbot wrote: The width is always beneficial, until you ask the driver park besides you.
It is wrong for F150 to be as wide to be anywhere close or "comparable" to a humvee, that's what I mean to say.

They really shouldn't be that wide, and I think the article and opinion of many posters will eventually drive change in legislation.
If it’s wrong for a pickup to be that width then I assume you’re against minivans too? They’re the same width, as are many mid to large SUVs. (Honda Odyssey is 78.5” wide).

Again, whether it should or shouldn’t be that wide is a debate that has both sides. Many pickup owners will argue that the additional width is beneficial.

napoleonbot wrote: But fully recognize that one reason EPA let pickup truck cheat in CAFE rule by separately measure truck and car in calculation, is to save the domestic auto industry, so it gonna take time to get right.
And that's maybe partially the reason that why more people bought large pickup truck, - now you can't get spaciously built sedan - the social burden of improve fuel economy had been disproportionately bore by sedan user and maker.
When discussing CAFE rules I think you need to be careful about your definitions. Most vehicles on the road today are Light Trucks. It’s not pickup trucks specifically, but the definition includes most CUVs and SUVs, as well as minivans.

One of the reasons sedans dropped in popularity was the increasing fuel economy of car based SUVs (CUVs). Many of which are considered as light trucks by CAFE standards. Unfortunately your preferred vehicle shape is just not as popular, although there are still a lot of them available, mostly sill larger and less efficient than those available elsewhere in the world.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 30, 2007
1714 posts
1860 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: Actually… Vans make better work vehicles for the trades. Look @ europe for example. No pickups… just vans for working/trades!

Lol just being a pain in the ass. Drive whatever you want! I like seeing lifted 4x4 pickup trucks with V8’s.
Image
.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6919 posts
3884 upvotes
Mississauga
Always avoid pick-ups with truck nutz. Guaranteed the driver is douchebag.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2435 posts
1107 upvotes
Hometown
The only issue I have with pickup's is the idiot drivers who can't park the damn things. Like if you are needing 3 or 4 spots for your vehicle. IMHO that means you should just stay the hell home and shop over the internet LOL.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17016 posts
15636 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Andy34 wrote: Yes and no. Vans can be better options, but for independent contractors pickups are quite common as they can be used as both work vehicles and family vehicles.
I see A LOT of contractors using sprinters. They seem to be a lot more practical than a pickup if one doesn’t need 4x4

Top